SV650S Need Info

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
I have a friend looking at a 2003 SV650S. I've always heard good things about this bike but have never been on one or really know much about them.

Are they a good bike ? everything i've read points in tat direction, but I need experience.

What are the bikes issues ? Things to look for ?

Help pls :please:

They are good machine. A buddy of mine has or had one and loved it! Never had a problem with it at all. The twins are bullet proof....Though if your buddy is of any size at all i think he would be happier on the 1000

I had one and it is a great bike - should have never sold it. I think MC Mustang has one as a track bike.

I'm told they are the best bang 4 the buck all around track bike you can buy. There's also a ton of after market parts and stuff you can do as well. The engines are bullet proof as mentioned above and they get very good mpg. I've seen quite a few with 50K+ and still going strong

I love my 07. It's got all the power I need in the mtns, so much easier to ride fast than the hayabusa. The hayabusa is a much more comfortable bike for long rides BUT the SV is much better in the curves. It's great to have both :thumbsup:

Early tube framed ones had carbs.
Later square framed ones were injected.
Naked ones got lower gearing.

Had a few here.
last one we sold had 104,000k (65,000 miles) mostly done by learners.
Still ran sweet and went stong.

Great learner bike. Low C of G. Grungy motor. Easy to lower for short arses.
Learners don't grow out of them quick like the 250's.
They don't get intimidated my they like the rev happy / change gear again, Sportsbikes.
Some stuff about to hot them up. Pipes, big bores etc.

One mate has one with ZX6R back and front ends.
Another mates races one in the "mini twins" race series.

My buddy bought one in 2003 with the intentions of riding it for a summer or two and then upgrading. Well, 12 years later, he still has it. He's been more than pleased with it.

I'm going to look at one tonight for my girlfriend. Fingers crossed that she likes it.

Only thing I would recommend is to get a newer model. they sell for super cheap, so you should be able to find something in the 2012 model year in the 3k range. Especially if ABS is something he finds useful.

I'd go for the cleanest, tidy, low mileage one you can,
but personally I wouldn't worry about new v old models.
A lot of folk prefer the early round frame carb'd bikes.

Not real important for a learner, but.....
If you get pretty good at wheelies,
It's easy to starve the bottom end of oil on SV650's.

Back