Suzuki patents semi automatic transmission for Busa

Electronics continue to intrude into motorcycles, some of it helpful, some not. We spend a lot of time overcoming these electronic "obstacles" by flashing ecus, derestricting them, overcoming speed and rev limits, throttle restrictions, and so on. The EPA nazis have inflicted their wishes on us, and the manufacturers all fall in line like ducks, just to get the right to sell their bikes here in this country. There have been efforts to outlaw ecu modifications, or any other modification that alters the way the bike was originally sold. So far, they have not succeeded in putting every aftermarket performance company out of business. When it does hit, we will
have to revert back on two things: the bike is for "off road" or "race" use, or the fact that any future restrictions are not retroactive. Our "older" bikes will become even more valuable at that point.

I don't need any more electronics, and I don't want my ecu to control my moods or habits. I have air shifters on most of my bikes, and I have the option to either shift normally or put my legs behind my ears and hit the button. Quick shifters are very popular as well. Although I applaud the apparent fact that Slowzuki has finally gotten off their arses and are paying attention to a new design, and a new bike, I think they should concentrate on a bigger motor, better cylinder head, cams, etc. - more horsepower for the king!

In the meantime, they can keep "their" controls, and let me control my own bike. My older Busas can still beat the snot out of most anything out there with me shifting. Let me have my fun, keep the Hondamatic where it belongs, in the shed, IMHO.
if I could have hit the like button 5000 times I would... This isn't a communist country STAY OUTTA MY ECU.

If you're doing all the same things you would with a quickshifter but the ECU makes the gears shift instead of your foot, I don't see the point. Just add a really good stock quickshifter like the S1000rr has. Make it capable of clutchless down shifts.

When it comes to fully automatic including launches, I can see how that might be a performance gain but they won't do it right for racing. If it's like the automatic shifting and take off of a car, I don't want that. It doesn't matter how aggressive you are, ordinary automatc transmissions suck for racing. If they are set up for max acceleration they can be valuable for straightline racing but for road racing, the situations are too varied to trust shifting to a preset. Of course, I said this about traction control and ABS and that seems to have turned out to work very well. Maybe the automatic shifting will have modes. It doesn't sound like they intend for it to be able to be shut off.
is a busa a good choice for road racing?

This one was.
122_0009_01_z%2Byoshimura_suzuki_hayabusa_X-1%2Bside_view.jpg

Getting back on topic for a second. We're all postulating what Suzuki's angle here is. Semi auto shifting has been handled for years with the Advent of quick shifters. Comparing the strain gauge used by Healtech (smallest I could think of) to the actuators shown on these drawings tells me that's not the only function they are after. Automated (ECU controlled) clutch engagement/disengagement is another kettle of fish. Perhaps launch control or next gen traction control? Hopefully it's paired with an advanced IMU. I don't know, but I am intrigued!

I always ride with 1 finger covering my front brake ( 2 fingers before Brembos ) , lightly resting over the brake lever ready for any occasions as most riders do . But on my favorite roads , I am often asked if my brake light works because , like you Kiwi Rider I use my brakes for slight correction only and use the motor and keep things smooth and flowing . The Busa's beautiful big block feel and grunt just torques it way along ever so nicely , again the smooth flowing compilation is your reward . I generally don't use the back brake unless I make a conscious effort , mainly because of physical discomfort . I am considering one of those levers at the bar jobs , just because there are some corners where I come in fast and the bike wants to drift wide to edge of lane , on the apex exit and I feel the back brake may help out to arrest this enough to gas it earlier and power back on the line . Also in emergency braking , the back brake adds to the ultimate stopping potential . Be nice to have the option , there at my finger tips .

Well said, my friend. The engine braking is lush and the chassis is rock solid on the big Bird.
That's a bugger about the physical discomfort/pain you are in.
Hindering the use of the rear brake is not a good thing.
It's funny though, when I had my GSXR1000K6 I barely if ever used the rear brake, it was weak and the front brake was very good and the bike was so light ya just never needed to use it.
Very little dive in the front forks also.
This is getting off topic but I want to show you something relative to the conversation at hand. The art of manual gear shifting so it brings the topic back around.
Here's a link to a ride I did on the Akaroa Hill, may give you an idea of my riding style/capabilites.
If you have any footage I'd be keen to see it, it's kinda like a virtual meet up lol.

Well said, my friend. The engine braking is lush and the chassis is rock solid on the big Bird.
That's a bugger about the physical discomfort/pain you are in.
Hindering the use of the rear brake is not a good thing.
It's funny though, when I had my GSXR1000K6 I barely if ever used the rear brake, it was weak and the front brake was very good and the bike was so light ya just never needed to use it.
Very little dive in the front forks also.
This is getting off topic but I want to show you something relative to the conversation at hand. The art of manual gear shifting so it brings the topic back around.
Here's a link to a ride I did on the Akaroa Hill, may give you an idea of my riding style/capabilites.
If you have any footage I'd be keen to see it, it's kinda like a virtual meet up lol.

YOU'RE GONNA GET KILLED!
YOU'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!
...that or Joe is gonna make you drive too fast, lol

YOU'RE GONNA GET KILLED!
YOU'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!
...that or Joe is gonna make you drive too fast, lol
Thankfully all the other traffic KNOWS this and stays on the wrong side of the road also... phewww!!
Also, please dont call the greatest guitar player ever "Joe", it's JIMI ok, ya got that??
He asked Joe why he had that gun is hand, he was going down to shoot his ol' lady and Jimi said "that aint too cool" !

Thankfully all the other traffic KNOWS this and stays on the wrong side of the road also... phewww!!
Also, please dont call the greatest guitar player ever "Joe", it's JIMI ok, ya got that??
He asked Joe why he had that gun is hand, he was going down to shoot his ol' lady and Jimi said "that aint too cool" !

isn't that Joe Satriani playing in your video?

Really enjoyed the ride footage Kiwi Rider , we ride the same side of road of coarse , and yes , know it would freak you Yanks out !!! I sometimes think that your road lane choice makes more sense . I have some footage , but will have to get hold of it , from the 3 day Hidden Valley Race Track sortie , and also some of my home roads . I will get on to it and get back to you .

The Gen 1 certainly was a great platform for racing . The big cc classes of racing , series such as Formula USA , Formula Extreme , the Japanese race series where the Yoshimura x-1 ( Bigoltool pictured above ) raced and dominated . When the Gen 1 arrived on the scene , you could buy a lot of race inspired handling and go fast bits for them . This is why I would like one , because you can still get bits like offset adjustable triples off the shelf . Of course , you have to look a little harder now .
The Gen 2 was steered away from this from a marketing point by Suzuki , because the GSXR1000 is the companies premier 'production ' race bike . The gen 2 is also held back because there are less trick race circuit componentry marketed for it , because most of the open classe race series dissapeared when Gen 2 arrived . The chassis is basically identical to Gen 1 , so it was always going to be good to modify If you choose to .
Why would you choose too , well , I physically don't fit on the 1000 cc bikes or 1299 Ducati or BMW 1000 . I have always been a Suzuki man , and the Busa Gen 2 handles very well for long wheelbase motorcycle . Better in fact than any of it's direct rivals such as ZX14 , BMW K1300 etc . So the choice was easy for me . Also I am lucky enough to be blessed with a surrounding road system that features countless fantastic corners , so I have always preferred bikes capable of many tasks , usually I require something fast , powerful , quick , and handles good . So the Busa ticks all these boxes even before modification .
The great thing about this Org , is that it brings together all types of Busa owners , and we get to compare notes and interact and respect each others choice of path that one takes and uses with our bikes .
We all know there are other Busa forums , that concentrate more on turbo's for example , which people who are perhaps also heavily into straight line , can find better compatible to their personal liking . I am very grateful to the Captain for holding this ship together , and the Toad is also very happy that to have made contact with you all , and to get to hear your many varied take on things .
Cheers :thumbsup:

Good point. No, it's not but if it's a busa you have and twisties are what you like on the street, it's the same sort of riding, a lot less "all out" and hopefully a lot more careful. The speed is less because the dangers are greater. I think a full automatic transmission like most cars have would be a disaster waiting to happen in any kind of sport riding where cornering was involved. Semi automatic shifting like was mentioned in the OP would be the same effect as a quickshifter and that's awesome for all kinds of racing. I do know a guy who does straightline racing on the street and he has his bikes set up to shift fully automatic with an electric shifter and some other electronics. It avoids missing shifts and it ensures the shift will happen at precisely the best rpm instead of maybe 3/10 second after the shift light flashes at you. It works great for him.

I would die riding in any country where they drive on the other side of the road.
Riding good, riding good, brain fart, wrong side, car, bam...game over
How do ya think I feel? I'm ther one coming to the States to ride for two months and I'm quite concerned about that aspect of it that you just mentioned :shocked:
Just hope I get used to it real fast. It's good to sit behind other local riders and follow there lines in corners etc, coz it will be quite different to the riding I'm used to with LHD vehicles.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the ride footage Kiwi Rider , we ride the same side of road of coarse , and yes , know it would freak you Yanks out !!! I sometimes think that your road lane choice makes more sense . I have some footage , but will have to get hold of it , from the 3 day Hidden Valley Race Track sortie , and also some of my home roads . I will get on to it and get back to you .
Cool look forward to seeing that!

Yup, surfin' with the alien! Great album.
Haha, I mistakenly thought you meant Jimi, when you said Joe will be making me ride too fast, so...as you were.

Yeah but, but, Jeff Beck is the GOAT, even Eric said so.
Yup, surfin' with the alien! Great album.
Haha, I mistakenly thought you meant Jimi, when you said Joe will be making me ride too fast, so...as you were.

But but, Jeff Beck is the GOAT. Even Eric said so.

How do ya think I feel? I'm ther one coming to the States to ride for two months and I'm quite concerned about that aspect of it that you just mentioned :shocked:
Just hope I get used to it real fast. It's good to sit behind other local riders and follow there lines in corners etc, coz it will be quite different to the riding I'm used to with LHD vehicles.

I have a friend that road in Europe. He put a red dot on the windshield to remind him what side to ride on. Said it worked well.

My best friend was born here but for the past 17 years has lived in England and recently bought a country house in Wales. He flies over here a couple times a year and doesn't have problem on either side. As they say in Jamaica,
'evting gwine be eyeree'. Sad you have to wait over a year to get here.

The Gen 1 certainly was a great platform for racing . The big cc classes of racing , series such as Formula USA , Formula Extreme , the Japanese race series where the Yoshimura x-1 ( Bigoltool pictured above ) raced and dominated . When the Gen 1 arrived on the scene , you could buy a lot of race inspired handling and go fast bits for them . This is why I would like one , because you can still get bits like offset adjustable triples off the shelf . Of course , you have to look a little harder now .
The Gen 2 was steered away from this from a marketing point by Suzuki , because the GSXR1000 is the companies premier 'production ' race bike . The gen 2 is also held back because there are less trick race circuit componentry marketed for it , because most of the open classe race series dissapeared when Gen 2 arrived . The chassis is basically identical to Gen 1 , so it was always going to be good to modify If you choose to .
Why would you choose too , well , I physically don't fit on the 1000 cc bikes or 1299 Ducati or BMW 1000 . I have always been a Suzuki man , and the Busa Gen 2 handles very well for long wheelbase motorcycle . Better in fact than any of it's direct rivals such as ZX14 , BMW K1300 etc . So the choice was easy for me . Also I am lucky enough to be blessed with a surrounding road system that features countless fantastic corners , so I have always preferred bikes capable of many tasks , usually I require something fast , powerful , quick , and handles good . So the Busa ticks all these boxes even before modification .
The great thing about this Org , is that it brings together all types of Busa owners , and we get to compare notes and interact and respect each others choice of path that one takes and uses with our bikes .
We all know there are other Busa forums , that concentrate more on turbo's for example , which people who are perhaps also heavily into straight line , can find better compatible to their personal liking . I am very grateful to the Captain for holding this ship together , and the Toad is also very happy that to have made contact with you all , and to get to hear your many varied take on things .
Cheers :thumbsup:
what do u mean u don't fit? I recently gained ALOT of weight.. and I rode a s1000rr and it was uncomfy but I could ride it... and if ure short... couldn't you tiptoe it? after all.. it would be used for racing and corner carving.. or even just lower it a little? I'm just saying this because... man.. that bmw is built for a purpose.. and if u ride it .. ull find out EXACTLY what that purpose is.. uncompromising.

what do u mean u don't fit? I recently gained ALOT of weight.. and I rode a s1000rr and it was uncomfy but I could ride it... and if ure short... couldn't you tiptoe it? after all.. it would be used for racing and corner carving.. or even just lower it a little? I'm just saying this because... man.. that bmw is built for a purpose.. and if u ride it .. ull find out EXACTLY what that purpose is.. uncompromising.
I'm 6' 4" , 250 lb naked , I reakon if anyones short it might be you bud . The Busa fits me best , It might not be a bike for corners for some , but it sure is for me . Best fun ya can have with your leathers on . Know all about the BMW , wild bike for sure , my mate had one , a '10 model , less electronics .

Back