Suspension settings for less wheelies ??

street racer

Donating Member
Registered
Newbie here with a question on a 100% stock 2006 Busa
race.gif
. What are the best suspension settings to prevent wheelies in first gear or at least lessen them?
rock.gif

honest the busa is not really a wheelie bike.
with stock gearing you have to hit high rpms to wheelie.
not saying she want come up, but odds are it will not.
if you go wot in first gear from a dead stop it will wheelie
and like powers said move your weight forward towards the tank.

I have 4500 miles on my 06-- Its currently stock-- I weigh 220 in my street gear. My preload settings for the front are at 8, and i think dampoing is at 4 and 9. I screwed the large nut down approx 1/2-3/4" " and pretty much left the damping alone. As long as the ft-bk work in unison. Takes experimentation-- and will be different for each individual.
Only last week did I pull the front up in 1st from a more brisk twist at about 3-4k-- I didnt even realize it till I was touching down; the first time.
I now have even more to proclaim about the Busa, as it is sooo stable. It really wont come up like a smaller- shorter sport bike. The foot or so length really stabilizes take offs.
Welcome to the org!

The best setting to prevent wheelies is to control your right wrist and lean your body forward ! The rest of the suspention tuning will deal with tire bite. Which is a factor of alot of things including YOUR weight and your upper body length (remember that forward lean). Of course I'am assuming your going from low revs/speed to WOT
SHOCKED.gif
 instantly. My suggestion
wink.gif
, how about taking baby steps and then a wheelie will never happen. And if it does, you'll have it undercontrol way before it really becomes a WHEELIE. Now if your DRAG Racing for real (as in at the track) , ya might PM the Professor for some valuable tips  
race.gif

if you looking to adjust your suspension to your weight check out jinksters threat. To stop wheelie'n stop roll'n on the throttle so hard.

....in the mean time, soften the rear suspension to absorb some of the torque.

the process of getting the bike to squat under acceleration, turns that energy into compression for the rear shock.

besides that..only rider position and wrist control will help with a stock setup.
lurk.gif

Lowering the bike will alter the geometry and decrease the tendency to wheelie.

(Shibumi @ May 01 2007,16:46) Lowering the bike will alter the geometry and decrease the tendency to wheelie.
Of course if you ride in a City, and go in and out of parking lots. Lowering it might make it a clearence problem along with speed bumps  
wink.gif

So, as they say, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO  
laugh.gif

Back