Suspension setting on extended bikes

red07

Registered
While doing the search here, I read that when you extend the bike we should increase the pre-load setting in the rear. I was thinking since I also lowered the bike an inch, isn't it the same as increasing the pre-load? Does that mean I don't need to increase the pre-load because effectively isn't that what the dog bone does?

Weight will be a factor, but generally you need to increase the spring rate by changing the spring, tighten the preload and tighten the rebound. The dog bones do not change the suspension settings, only the ride height.

Adding preload will help, but the busa is undersprung for most riders @ stock length, unless they weigh 175 or less anyhow. Extending the swingarm makes it worse because it changes the leverage. We also have to tighten the rebound to compensate for more spring pressure and tighten the compression for more damping because of the rate and ratio change.

You will quickly run out of adjustment with a long arm and heavy rider requiring it to be revalved.

All that said, most riders don't make the changes and seem happy with it. While they may be amazed at the difference if it was set up right, they don't know any better and are content. You can spend allot of $$ making changes to get it right so it is all about rider choice and priorities.

While doing the search here, I read that when you extend the bike we should increase the pre-load setting in the rear.  I was thinking since I also lowered the bike an inch, isn't it the same as increasing the pre-load?  Does that mean I don't need to increase the pre-load because effectively isn't that what the dog bone does?
Yes & No...because...

While the clevised dogbone arrangement does afford for progressively making the most of your stock shock spring?..and by using the lowering dogbones it does toss the suspension off square thereby making it seem/feel/act stiffer?...it does NOT account for the greatly added leverage the extended swingarm exerts...nor other variables such as rider weight or how your front forks are set up/strapped?

therefore?...the question itself is a bit to subjective to answer in absolutes.

therefore?..i was of absolutely no help...right?
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Thanks Professor. I'm 5'7" and weigh 200 lbs. I do mostly canyons (I extended it purely for esthetic reasons). So to improve the handling, I'd have to change the springs? Also are you saying that the dog bone doesn't increase the pre-load by compressing the spring to lower the height?

No it just changes the static height. Well as Jinkster mentioned, it does change the link ration somewhat. But no, the preload is the same.

What length swingarm?

well, enough has been said about that now... don't need to add much.... My only suggestion would be that if you wanna dial things in without buying a bunch of springs you may want to look at the link pro from schnitz. It's saved me alot of time and effort over swapping springs.
beerchug.gif

Weight will be a factor, but generally you need to increase the spring rate by changing the spring, tighten the preload and tighten the rebound. The dog bones do not change the suspension settings, only the ride height.

Adding preload will help, but the busa is undersprung for most riders @ stock length, unless they weigh 175 or less anyhow. Extending the swingarm makes it worse because it changes the leverage. We also have to tighten the rebound to compensate for more spring pressure and tighten the compression for more damping because of the rate and ratio change.

You will quickly run out of adjustment with a long arm and heavy rider requiring it to be revalved.

All that said, most riders don't make the changes and seem happy with it. While they may be amazed at the difference if it was set up right, they don't know any better and are content. You can spend allot of $$ making changes to get it right so it is all about rider choice and priorities.
Hey Professor with me at a buck 75, do I need to make anychanges to mine you think?

Back