Suspension set-up

Mike

Registered
2002 model (CA) with 6700 miles.

I have the owners manual and factory service manual, and I understand how to change all the suspension settings (spring preload, compression damping, & rebound damping), I just would like any advice you might have as to the best method to use in order to accurately determine what the optimum settings would be. How do you approach this? What do you look for, & how do you test it? Is it all just done until you "feel" somehow that you've gotten it right, or is there a method lurking in the madness?

Anyone have any suggestions other than randomly adjusting things and hoping for an improvement? I suspect there must be an intelligent way to approach this in order to obtain maximum results, but neither of the manuals gives any suggestions in that area.

Sure would appreciate any advice you might care to offer on the subject.

Thanks,
Mike

THERE ARE ALOT OF THINGS TO CONSIDER TO SET UP A SUSPENSION TIRE BRAND, RIDER WT, STREET OR TRACK, ONE UP OR TWO UP RIDING AND RIDING STYLE. BUSA`S TEND TO COME FROM THE FACTORY SET TOO STIFF FOR MY TASTE BUT I PUT UP WITH IT FOR ABOUT 1000 MILES TO LET THINGS LOOSEN UP A LITTLE BIT THEN I STARTED TO MAKE SOME CHANGES. WHAT I CAN TELL YOU FOR SURE IS DONT TRY TO MAKE ALL THE CHANGES AT ONE TIME MAKE A CHANGE THEN RIDE THE BIKE IF YOU HAVE A ROAD THAT YOU LIKE TO RIDE ALOT USE THAT AS A CONSTANT MAKE YOUR ADJUSTMENTS AND RIDE AGAIN IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE NOTES OF WHAT CHANGES YOU MAKE. GOOD LUCK

Performance Bikes Magazine does a setup each month where they do track and road to determine the setup. About two months ago, they did the Busa. They said the rear is way to tight. Stock Rear is: Preload is 12mm of thread; Compression and Rebound is both 8 clicks from all the way in. The article said 6 mm of Preload, and 15 and 17 clicks (do not remember which one is compression or rebound).

They said the front was too loose. But for me it is too tight since I weight less than 175 pounds.

Personally I started with the PB rear settings but have gone down too 4.5 threads showing. I lessened the front preload from stock by three turns. Lowered the compression by three clicks, and currently have the rebound about 3 clicks from all the way in. Still working on it but I am close for my preferences. It is better all the way around.

I like soft for drag racing and alittle stiff for the corners. But to each his own. It's what ever you like, if you like it you will ride better and faster.
thumbs-up.gif

Back