Suspension set up

Ononewheel

Registered
Well I started to set up the suspension on this bus. I started with the sag/preload front and rear.

I weigh about 185 lbs. 6'0"

Rear stock setting = 31.75mm static or loaded sag
front stock setting = 45mm static sag

I was looking for 25mm rear and 30mm front. Just kind of a general setting. I believe that is a little tight for street riding, but I have never had a prob.

I increased the rear a few turns, it didn't take much. It yeilded the 25mm I was looking for easily.

Now for the front, I screwed in the preload to the 2nd line just barely showing. I was not able to get the 30mm I was looking for. It wound up more around 38mm. I did not want to screw them all the way in so I left it there... for now.

Pushing down on the tank it seems to squat level ,in my opinion that is.

Took it for a ride. Seems to be better than stock, gave me a little more confidence in the curves. Now, I have not yet touched the rebound or compression. It needs it though. Seems to kinda bounce or wallow through turns with dips in them.

I will give an update to this thread when I get the damping figured out to my liking.

Oh the most important thing of all. I am not a suspension expert so take this with a grain of salt. The settings seem to work for me. I had someone who knew what they were doing guiding through the susp on my old R1 and what a difference it made. I am trying to apply the same things to the bus.

Has anyone messed with theirs?

Jeffrey

I have played around with the preload and I have a setting I like. I havent messed with the damping at all yet. But I get the same kind of wallowing in bumpy corners.

i'll wait and see how you guys do. hate to mess with something i'm clueless about. keep the suspension info coming, I'll be reading.

The owners manual lists the stock settings. Also they list which direction to increase or decrease preload or shock damping. Best to keep track of were you start, make small adjustments and go ride to check for any improvement. It's also important that your tires are properly inflated and your chain is adjusted and lubed. Check them first because they can have a big effect on handling too.

The owners manual lists the stock settings. Also they list which direction to increase or decrease preload or shock damping. Best to keep track of were you start, make small adjustments and go ride to check for any improvement. It's  also important that your tires are properly inflated and your chain is adjusted and lubed. Check them first because they can have a big effect on handling too.
Exactly right. Tire pressure has a huge effect on handling, as does chain slack. Speaking of chain slack, I say better on the loose side than the tight side.

Back in the day I would grab the chain and I could move it an inch or whatever your bike calls for. Some road racing friends have since said you idiot that is way too tight. You want an inch or whatever of floppy chainslack, not movement there is a difference... they were right. Did that make sense? I think I confused myself.

Just figured I'd throw that in there since Ba Baracus.. (just kidding) brought it up.

What a suprise. The new issue of motorcyclist just arrived. There is an article in there on how to set your sag. It's very easy reading. Also easy to do. All of you should be setting your sag. That is of course if you can pry your eyes off of the busa vs zx12 article.

Hey Guys,

If you go to "Sport Rider" magazines web site they have suspension settings for all of the bikes that they have tested including ours - check it out. At least a great place to start your settings from.

Kent

Ononewheel,
I just set up my sag on my bike earlier this evening I am a little bigger than you, a feathery 245lbs without riding gear. Well the rear sag wasn't a problem for me at all still have some tightening room but the front I had to tighten it down all the way and I got it to 33mm of sag. So I would think that you should be able to get the front set to the 30mm you are looking for.

Ononewheel,
I just set up my sag on my bike earlier this evening I am a little bigger than you, a feathery 245lbs without riding gear. Well the rear sag wasn't a problem for me at all still have some tightening room but the front I had to tighten it down all the way and I got it to 33mm of sag. So I would think that you should be able to get the front set to the 30mm you are looking for.
Sweet. Did you ride it yet? Feel better to you???

I read that suspension sag article in Motorcylist, got me excited to try it out. Do you think this can be done while the bike is in the rear stand? I need to get a couple of friends to come over and help me it looks like. I am hoping I can get the front dialed in enough for my weight (200 lbs).

Thunderpants

I am glad you ar going to give it a shot. You will not be dissapointed.

You can do it with only one friend. There is no need for extras.

The front
put on side stand and lift up on the handlebars leaning it on the side stand till the front wheel comes up. Have a friend get a measurement.

Now sit on the bike and get the meaurement. you could probably use a rear stand. I never tried it, I just barely tip toe to keep balance. Try it both ways and see what you get.

Rear: Again on side stand pick up on passenger foot pegs till the tire picks up. Be careful not to fold your side stand, you will be wearing a very heavy bike.

Big Tip: use a piece of tape to mark a spot on the plastic to measure to.

Again sit on the bike without the sidestand and take your loaded measurement. Same applies for rearstand use.

Hope that helps more than confuses. Let us know!!!!!!

Back