Supercharger?

bkstg1

Registered
Hey all
I've been visiting here for a while. I've been a drag racer for about 18 years and just bought my first Busa about 6 months ago. I've been running my buddies Busa at a few of our local tracks and I have to say it's the best bike for drag racing that I've ever owned. Once I started running his I just had to buy one, sure enough one week after my first pass on his, I bought an 05.
It's lowered streched blah. blah. blah. What a great bike. My thread has to do with power adders. We own a pretty big machine/fab/assembly shop. I have thought about turbos and nitrous. My bike being mainly a street bike a supercharger seems to be the perfect way to go. Instant torque,great power,etc..
We have more than the capability to produce something like this and I'm wondering if anyone else would think it might be something they would be interested in. I have found a good source for a compact unit that would be belt drive,mount low,and provide the correct air flow demands for these bikes. I know there have been other companies that have made them available but none of which that are close or still around. I've read many posts about not being able to contact certain ones when there are problems. With out getting too detailed now, that would not be an issue with us.
Anyway..just wondering about the interest, not trying to sell anything to anyone or get free advertising. Just looking to see if this is something that people would want.

Thanks
Jim

:welcome:

a lot of these guys buy the stuff to pull "dyno" numbers from what I have seen..

if you go this route, I would sure be inclined to stick with a centrifugal type blower..

It would be a centrifgal type, pretty wild how it works. Like you said, lots of guys get wrapped up in dyno numbers..but there is a lot more to what makes a good engine good and a great engine great.

TTS has a rotex kit for alot of applications but they're located in the UK which does make it pricey (import tax & shipping) and tech support a bit difficult with the time difference. Big CC uses their supercharger in their kits as well but again they're in the UK.

The supercharger never took off in the US for a few reasones. One being that the busa engine alone makes a good amount of low end torque and adding more just isn't all that practicle. Also there are more limitaions on the flexibility of the supercharger systems (max boost).

A supercharger kit also involves a complex build and packaging.

The turbo kits have already had a long path of evolution that is hard to compete against. I could write 5 more pages but I don't think it's needed.

If you can produce a product that is better and cheaper than what is already out there then you might find a niche. If your system costs more, isn't as reliable, falls short on the level of power and delivery, or carries a very labor intensive instal I think it would be difficult to market.

I agree, the turbo has a long history and does make great power. I played with turbos and superchargers on cars before. The one main benefit I found over the turbo was the ability to control the torque delivery to the rear tire by easier modulation. Where the turbo falls off of boost and then has to recover,albeit quickly, the supercharger provides a linear and constant delivery. In the D.O.T. tire classes this could be a of real benefit.
Please don't take this as though I think I'm right and anyone else is wrong, I'm using this forum for what is designed to do, bring ideas and opinions together and come up with what we all hope is the best answer or at least a better idea. We would offer the kit priced comparatively close to a turbo or not offer it at all. As far as the install it should be no more intense than a turbo kit.

Thanks for your input

Last edited:
Hey guys!!.....been looking at TTS myself for the supercharger....living in Europe at present.
They seem like a well established knowledgeable race shop....with alot of info!
There is a claimed 250hp+ at the back wheel......just bolted on to a stock motor !!
Myself.....I would probably be nuts enough to go for rods, a big bore setup and cams!!....then....you would probably have to change your shorts !!

TTS is a very good well established company. For us folks on this side of the pond it's alot of work and time to get products. I still don't understand the supercharger concept on a bike though. I'm all motor with around 150 ft-lbs of torque and still have to be soft during the lower gears. With a super charger you'll have that much torque even sooner in the revs.

It is a good debate between turbo/supercharger/big bore setups if the focus is street ridding. the supercharger or big bore will give you more down low power right off idle while a turbo needs a few more revs and throttle.

I would say for the blvd queens I'm sure a nice polished supercharger with the belt exposed through the fairing would be a new look.

I always suggest EXTREME caution when buying cams for any forced induction system (turbos especially) .. the difference in grinds between a big bore NA motor vs a forced induction are worlds apart...

I have tried a good number of cams in many motors and find that the stock cam often outperforms "hot rod" cams supplied by companies without good turbo development . Excessive overlaps seem to be the biggest problem..

I`m the supercharger man..:poke:

blowershop.jpg

hey had no idea! how much to go through hi-helix units and restrip them? (and not that tiny thing either) :rofl:
been doing superchargers and turbos every day for the last 5 years on a goverment contract. they are all for diesel engines and have no strips but are the same otherwise. i know an O/H kit for a 671(which are pictured above) is about $190-$200 and includes bearings,sleeves,seals,shims and gaskets. takes a couple of hours to go through one, i send mine down to our corrision dept to be blasted with plastic media before smoothing it out and putting it back together..the most important thing is to get the rotors timed right (the "C" and "CC" measurements) and all the rotor to case clearances correct .

Back