Superbyke project update.

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
A few of my friends on the org have taken an interest in my Superbyke project (it's been over 2 years since it began!) so here's the latest.....my racer buddy Brian (owner of Superbike Performance Lab) has it and he called me yesterday saying, "Doyle, wait till you see this thing!" Now I can't stop thinking about it, he added that all that is left is replacing the hard hydraulic line to the clutch cylinder (stock) with a s/s black line that travels all the way from the lever to the clutch cylinder on the engine (just another little mod I thought would be cleaner than OEM configuration) AND THEN dial in on the dyno for COMPLETION!
Looks like timing with Springtime is just perfect. Before he calls me for "pick up" he will weigh it on a precision scale.....I'll share all I know about this project really soon. All I can say right now is...LOOK OUT Tuonos , Monsters and other so called "factory nakeds"! Doyle

Tease. Nothin' but a tease. :laugh:

images.jpg

awesome! :cheerleader: Any thought about reaching out to the iron & air guys for a write up on your busa cafe racer :thumbsup:

awesome! :cheerleader: Any thought about reaching out to the iron & air guys for a write up on your busa cafe racer :thumbsup:

Yes! After getting the bugs out (if any) I plan on offering the bike up for testing (within reason). I consume and break down all the naked tests of $16-$22k bikes offered today....and have used these top of the line bikes' specs as benchmarks to achieve or exceed(comparisons of 1/4 mile, top speed, weight, fuel capacity, mpg, comfort, on and on) and I'm pretty confident that this lightened Hayabusa may not have $3000 front forks but I don't think a good rider could tell much difference with my Race Tech massaged ones!
Here's an example of just the front end.....1999 forks (1300 original miles), Race Tech innards, EBC hipo pads, Galfer S/S lines, carbon fender, CZ wheel, Italian Braking rotors, Matris top mount adjustable damper, Acossoto adjustable radial reservior/lever system....I think it'll be a 2 finger stopper!

Anyways my point is that, after buying the right "totaled" Gen I Busa AND adding the incredible volume of high end aftermarket accessories/parts.....the Hayabusa will not only be a true one off custom, it'll tie OR BEAT all it's mass produced competition in all areas, regardless of the so called exotic upgrades that entitle them to be called an "S" model and sell for $4000 more than even their stock showboat! If it gets tested, I will insist that the above becomes the "theme". Including the point that after all is said and done, the Hayabusa will have costed significantly LESS to create than all those shiny red other bikes!

Some teaser shots, in the effort to be ALL silver and black, nothing else, notice the gold to silver fork transition.

P1030089.JPG

P1030093.JPG

P1020218.JPG

P1030364.JPG

P1030384.JPG

P1030381.JPG

005.jpg

P1000279.JPG

P1020978.JPG

P1030373.JPG

P1030383.JPG

P1030937.jpg

I don't remember if I've ever mentioned these two little mods but I'll do is again anyway....first, notice the upper right radiator hose nipple has been removed from the front of the radiator and reinstalled on the rear right radiator tank, that way the hose can dissappear behind the frame right away instead of looping underneath and up, when exposed on a naked bike, the OEM hose looks stupid long. Second, there now is NO AIRBOX, the injectors have been fitted with individual chrome K&N's, it looks really clean and open below the gas tank/above the engine.
These little ideas are one of the added bonuses when you start with just a motor and frame, don't have a deadline and just figure out what you want to do with each section of the bike.
Some people are fine with just enjoying the Busa with just minor tweeks....that's great, I just would like to encourage folks that have that "I wonder what I could do to this thing" mentality to take the step and start a similar project. The longer you take, the less impact on your finances! Doyle (ps it's also wise to keep your "regular Busa" so you don't find yourself without a rideable motorcycle!)

Thanks for the pics, Doyle!

1) How'd you get the forks to silver? Powercoat? Stipped the annodizing? Re-annodized?

2) Not sure I understand the airbox removal. What was it you didn't like about the stock setup?

The radiator setup came out really nice. I remember when you were concerned about how to make those mods. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pics, Doyle!

1) How'd you get the forks to silver? Powercoat? Stipped the annodizing? Re-annodized?

2) Not sure I understand the airbox removal. What was it you didn't like about the stock setup?

The radiator setup came out really nice. I remember when you were concerned about how to make those mods. :thumbsup:

Re: the silver forks, 1999 and part of 2000 they were silver. Then Suzuki went to gold to this day. Just a matter of switching them out! Re: airbox removal, good question, actually the airbox (as with all sportbikes) is a well designed chamber for induction! In my build however, I've removed so many items and cleaned up so much overall, after discussing it with my tuner friend here in Reno(Brian) I decided opening up the area above the injectors kind of continued the theme/tribute to 80's superbikes. Bryan suggested that after he dialed in the motor with the K&N's, there would be minimal difference in output given how I will be riding the bike (not a lot of high speed track use and 140 mph sweepers where the intake airflow becomes a much bigger issue)This is one of those rare situations where I actually chose bling over performance and am very curious as to how it'll run....AND SOUND....serious intake track sucking! Good questions! Thank you for taking an interest! Doyle

Forgot about the silver forks on the early bikes. The black and silver theme is really nice.

Re: airbox removal, .....continued the theme/tribute to 80's superbikes. Bryan suggested that after he dialed in the motor with the K&N's,.... am very curious as to how it'll run....AND SOUND....serious intake track sucking!
My *genuine* 80's GS1100e "superbike" has quite a blat from those K&Ns. Let's say the sound has grown on me, but it doesn't come close to the Busa in performance.

What I have really enjoyed about this project are the details you're putting in to cleaning up the odd bits that were never intended to be shown. This is bordering on Harley-type customizing (in the best sense of it) vs. the typical "streetfighter" (meaning, "I crashed my bike and can't afford a new fairing"). Keep it up!

Awesome build....What handle bar kit is that?

It's the Steigler Superbyke kit from Germany....I also got the bar end mirrors but honestly, I'm not sure if I'll like them for the following reasons: they somewhat break up the profile of the handlebar shape itself (purely cosmetic issue), I'll have to see how functional they are and finally, a couple European machine shops make really nice (and expensive) old school top of handlebar bolt on units that look really pro. I like those because they make the bike look much narrower. I guess I'm saying this is morphing from a project waiting to be completed to a work in progress! It's all fun. Doyle

additional thought.....also, bar end mirrors disallow me to install a black Throttlemeister, I don't like that limitation!

Oh so you are using bar end mirrors? You putting on oem fairings on or is this going to be a naked bike?

Oh so you are using bar end mirrors? You putting on oem fairings on or is this going to be a naked bike?

Naked with small 1/4 windshield, also not readily available in USA...also from Germany, western Europe seems to have quite a "streetfighter aftermarket" and, I think, are a year or two ahead of us in the
reborn "Cafe Craze".

HesaWindscreenDualHeadlightsmall (100x75) (2) (100x75).jpg

Back