Superbyke project update.

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
TWO YEARS! That's how long this project has taken me. Find my "dream conversion bike"(a 2005 LE all black including frame) , take it down to frame and bare motor, and start researching and fitting parts and accessories to create a naked Hayabusa. My intension has always been to build this bike to acknowledge and honor all the early 80's superbikes (Yamaha XS-11, Honda CBX, Suzuki GS1000, Honda CB1000, Moto Guzzi LeMans, Ducati 750SS, etc.). I know this bike will be called, "a naked bike", "SuperMoto style", "European Streetfighter", "Cafe Racer", on and on....but I built it for ONLY the following reasons: I want to see how light I can get a Busa, I want to commemorate early superbikes as described above, I believe the Busa without plastics has a unique and special beauty with all its "workings" exposed and finally, I haven't redone a complete motorcycle just like I want it since the 80's!

So, last month I got the bike 95% completed (minus S/S lines, liquids, Power Commander and mapping and some wiring) and decided to call a racer friend of mine and ask him if he'd finish it (he has a dyno and knows his stuff...Brian of Superbike Performance Laboratories in Reno).

Well, he's had it a couple of months and called me yesterday and said, "Doyle, you ain't gonna believe your bike, it's so bada$$, and really one of a kind!" I can't stand it! It's only one week away and 2 years in the making.
I so look forward to doing a pictoral and road test for the org. I've actually considered offering it to a motorcycle magazine for testing under the theme, "Who needs a Tuono when you have a Busa like this?" I know I getting ahead of myself, I haven't even started the motor yet, let alone ride it, BUT, it's 25-35 pounds lighter than my red HAYBUS Busa and "ol red" is lightening fast in every way! Thanks for letting me ramble, more soon. Below pics are months ago when it first became a "roller", many differences/changes since then. Doyle

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

raydog

Donating Member
Registered
Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention, we took off ALL the intake snorkles and airbox so the top of the motor will be four K&N's on the injectors, dialed in perfectly, the intake tract will sound so hungry at idle!

Looks like a nice project. Have you thought about maybe throwing the 1000 tail on it now that you have a skinny busa it would flow with? Usually the 1k tail makes her look like she has no azz , but now your girl looks like she is rockin a lot of junk in her trunk like a earlier J-Lo. :laugh:

raydog

Donating Member
Registered
Looks like a nice project. Have you thought about maybe throwing the 1000 tail on it now that you have a skinny busa it would flow with? Usually the 1k tail makes her look like she has no azz , but now your girl looks like she is rockin a lot of junk in her trunk like a earlier J-Lo. :laugh:
Yeah good question, I've given that a lot of thought. One reason I've left the traditional Busa hump profile intact is just that, it can be recognized as a Busa! Also, the side pic distorts the actual look of the profile, in person the hump just doesn't look that big! I'm not ruling anything out though, as development evolves. Doyle

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
any thoughts about going with a black powder coated subframe in the back end, perhaps boxed inside with steel for the "trunk" and just running a seat instead of the hump? Just thinking out loud, I like it and I would imagine its going to be fun as all get out to ride :thumbsup:

raydog

Donating Member
Registered
any thoughts about going with a black powder coated subframe in the back end, perhaps boxed inside with steel for the "trunk" and just running a seat instead of the hump? Just thinking out loud, I like it and I would imagine its going to be fun as all get out to ride :thumbsup:
In a word, yes(maybe)! I will be installing a small smoked streetfighter type windscreen (that fits over the dual headlights tightly and takes away the "stick out" look of the speedo assembly) so after some "getting used to it miles", I'll decide on the tail. I wanted to have track numbers painted on each side of the hump in white number plate type circles so I'll probably see how that looks first. If I go right to a fully altered tail, I'll loose the ability to create my vision of the numbers. Sometimes we have to do one thing first before we become convinced the next choice should happen, does that make sense? Below is the windshield.

HesaWindscreenDualHeadlightsmall (100x75) (2) (100x75).jpg

Strife

Donating Member
Registered
Looking good! :beerchug:

Couple thoughts.... Maybe fill that gap between the frame and gas tank. Also consider blacking out the motor and front forks. Just my thoughts opinions will vary(of course). :thumbsup:

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Cool build. I have often wondered why people don't create their own "GEN III" busas. Most builds are more bling oriented than leveraging one of the many assets the bike has to offer. Big ups to you for going this direction. Can't wait to see the finished bike.

As for the tail I agree that right now it looks like a Busa without the fairing vs a naked bike. It would be cool to get something back there that looks more like a cafe racer than a sport bike. There are a lot of historical fixes for this in the bikes you mentioned as inspiration. It would be cool to put a tail from an old GS on it. Not sure I like it but I attached a Photochop of a GSX1100 tail on the Busa.

I would love to see a Busa engine nestled in a trellis frame with Ohlins suspension, CF wheels, Brembos, and Brocks dual CT's - now that would be a MONSTER!

Busa naked copy.jpg

raydog

Donating Member
Registered
Cool build. I have often wondered why people don't create their own "GEN III" busas. Most builds are more bling oriented than leveraging one of the many assets the bike has to offer. Big ups to you for going this direction. Can't wait to see the finished bike.

As for the tail I agree that right now it looks like a Busa without the fairing vs a naked bike. It would be cool to get something back there that looks more like a cafe racer than a sport bike. There are a lot of historical fixes for this in the bikes you mentioned as inspiration. It would be cool to put a tail from an old GS on it. Not sure I like it but I attached a Photochop of a GSX1100 tail on the Busa.

I would love to see a Busa engine nestled in a trellis frame with Ohlins suspension, CF wheels, Brembos, and Brocks dual CT's - now that would be a MONSTER!
Thank you for your photoshop efforts! That is very insightful. There is a famously large m/c salvage company in nearby Sacramento, I might do some brousing around. Input like yours is a big help in this evolution. To further define my intentions and values.....during this development, I don't put cosmetics very high on the list compared to both ergonomics and performance. The only thing really visual that I've put a lot of effort into is NO COLORS, not even a small splash. I even replaced the 2005 forks with 1999 silver ones (after rebuilding of course). I bet I've sat on the unfinished scooter about 50 times (even with my track boots on over pajamas) to help analyze/customize the overall feel and control access.
I'm just really opposed to "bling for the sense of bling" in a build like this. To me, one real motorcyclist standing over my finished product saying something like, "nice job on changing the upper radiator output nipple to the back of the reservoir" is way better than 100 bikenite kids shouting, "come check out this bada$$ black Busa, man". Of course, the feeling that trumps them all is riding on a mountain road feeling like the motorcycle was designed for only your body and your performance needs! Doyle

IMO i would do the 1000 tail conversion, she would look awesome since shes naked and might as well as give her a nice ass. And the fact that shes recognized as a busa.. wouldnt it be more fun that people dont know what she is and be able to whoop all over them? lol but hey thats just my opinion.

raydog

Donating Member
Registered
Another possibility for the rear end is that flat plastic hump replacement piece I've seen around....didn't care much on full faired Busa but it may be another story on mine (if anyone has one laying around, pm me, I'll buy it just for a cosmetic experiment!). Doyle

_WOLFMAN_

Canuck Ground Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
Another option could be a B-King tail section with aftermarket undertail exhaust. Project looking good sofar Doyle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

motochris

The artist formerly known as Chris75181
Registered
raydog said:
Thank you for your photoshop efforts! That is very insightful. There is a famously large m/c salvage company in nearby Sacramento, I might do some brousing around. Input like yours is a big help in this evolution. To further define my intentions and values.....during this development, I don't put cosmetics very high on the list compared to both ergonomics and performance. The only thing really visual that I've put a lot of effort into is NO COLORS, not even a small splash. I even replaced the 2005 forks with 1999 silver ones (after rebuilding of course). I bet I've sat on the unfinished scooter about 50 times (even with my track boots on over pajamas) to help analyze/customize the overall feel and control access.
I'm just really opposed to "bling for the sense of bling" in a build like this. To me, one real motorcyclist standing over my finished product saying something like, "nice job on changing the upper radiator output nipple to the back of the reservoir" is way better than 100 bikenite kids shouting, "come check out this bada$$ black Busa, man". Of course, the feeling that trumps them all is riding on a mountain road feeling like the motorcycle was designed for only your body and your performance needs! Doyle
I agree. Well put. Congrats on a superb build! I LIKE IT!