Superbike (UK) ZX12 vs Hayabusa & Blackbird

OB_busa 2000

Registered
what else did they remove for the test? or did they add a centerstand also to rob the big busa of another 3-4 mph. i don't care the busa has been on avg 7 mph faster in recent test and a hell of alot faster in the 1/4 mile EVEN WITH A HIRED GUN RICKEY GADSON AND THE BIKE LOWERED they couldn't beat the busa's 1/4 mile time and the busa wasn't lowered and a hired gun wasn't in the saddle.
and i don't buy this bullshit from cycle world saying that the 12 is restricted, hell they say the bike was 700rpm's short of red line from what i read in another mag at 194 mph the busa wasn't hitting red line. so it seems that it is one excuse after another from cycleworld on why the 12 isn't as fast as the busa...

Just read June edition of Superbike magazine. Test claims the folowing results:
ZX12: 188; Hayabusa 184; Blackbird 177
1/4: Z: 10.21 144; Haya: 10.05 142 BB 10.39 137
They admit that the Hayabusa was 10 mph slower than the on one they tested last year. Later on in the article, it comes out that the bike was tested WITHOUT the tail unit! this must surely affect thet top speed figures, I can't understand why they tested the bike without it??? what's the point??

Overall, although the test does say some nice things about the Hayabusa, it seems very Kawasaki biased e.g: (ZX12) .."it looks amazing. Kawasaki's styling men have been to town on the ZX"......."Take in the stunning overall shape of the bike ..."etc, " the ZX12R has stunning handling for a big bike. It steers fast and even wriggled gentle tankslappers on me a couple of time...."(This is good???).

Of the Hayabusa, it says that it's "raw and effective as hell", .."the Hayabusa delevers shattering midrange power in a vibrating unsophisticated motor...."

Vibrating? mine's as smooth as silk, except for a patch of mild vibration at 4700rpm.

unsophisticated?? the powergraphs show the typical smooth curve for the Hayabusa (151 bhp peak) but the ZX12's is as ragged as hell!!with a noticable flat spot at 7-8000 rpm. (154 bhp peak).

What do you guys make of this??

The 12 is faster on top and slower in the 1/4? That's exactly contrary to what we've seen in other mags. I have to wonder?

Remember guys, the mags survival depends on a strong cycle industry. The more bikes out there the more potential readers there are. Promoting the latest hot bikes is part of building the industry. It would be nice to read something objective though. So far the best I've read are Chris Dolan's comments on this and LABusas forums.

The 00' Busa is limited! The ECM has been
stunted, I swear it's true!

I don't see this article as a big deal.
It's the first and (I think) only article
where the 12 has gone faster. Maybe they got
a fast 12 (e.g. Gadson's 12). They definitely
had a slow Busa. I don't recall a Busa ever going that Slow. What's the big deal, I don't see any!

who cares.pick your bike.anyone can bump up the busas comp add lift to the cams etc.tell me which is better in a couple of years when the're not stock anymore.which one stays together after it's built up.which takes a licking and don't start ticking.then you'll know who's the best.

Sounds like the only way the 12 can better the Busa is when critical aerodynamic parts are removed from the Busa during high speed runs. It wasn't enough to stop the Busa from kickin' the 12's butt in the 1/4 mile again though. The only other time I've seen a Busa run that slow on top was during that closed road event a while back between various modified bikes and stock Busa. We questioned that Busa's speed early on and later found out it had significant mechanical problems and later ran noticably faster.

It's best to look at all the tests collectively in order to properly put them in perspective. If a single test is flawed it will become apparent when compared to all the tests and data. Here is a post from down under posted by an aussie on Labusas to add to the collective:

"Just did comparison here in oz Busa out top ended zx12 by 6 Km Italian Speed Wheel magazine also had Busa the winner by 7 Km Test Here in Melbourne I had a friend there and results where correct Busa faster each run Ok The King Reigns"

I won't have access to this particular Superbike issue and I would be interested to know why they felt it neccessary to removing critical aerodynamic parts from the Busa before testing. If true that they did then this Busa was not even stock. Guess it would have to be considered less than stock!

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 01 May 2000).]

This restriction gossip is too funny. The only and I say only restriction to how fast this bike can go is your wallet boys!

10.21 @ 144 mph. , on ZX-12, in quarter ? Doesn't say much for their rider. I weigh 220 lbs. and have run 10.44 @ 137 mph. just doing break in ritual @ 900 miles. Would expect better et. and mph., when I run it full rpm, in about 1 or 2 weeks. If I was light enough to get 144 mph, it wouldn't be no 10.20 sec. et. Now, shifting 1000 to 1500 rpm short of red line. Bike wants more rpm, than peak shown, on some dyno tests I've seen. Could have something to do with ram air, at high speed. Dyno tests, so far, have been stationary.

[This message has been edited by c.dolan (edited 01 May 2000).]

The 10.05 on the Busa wasn't exactly stunning either but still not as bad as the dismal top speed run on the aerodynamically crippled/altered Busa. Wonder if they blame their 1/4 times on bad rear tires too?

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 01 May 2000).]

the vibration they feel is torque they have never felt such torque from a stock bike.............they sure wont feel it from a 12. the busa makes more torque at 5 grand than all other motorcyles in their own power band..........with the tail piece missing, it will cause a 6 or 7 mph reduction in speed...........Oh well let the 12 win one what else does it have..........?

I once read the you will lose 4-5 mph by running without the pillion hump,and what kind of magazine would be that hard up to run a Boosa without the hump just to print some BS.

i just got some of the info. the 00busa is slower then the 99 busa. the ecm has been changed to slow it down. i think the artical is in cycleworld or motorcycle. i own a 00busa and i love the power it has.

this is the u.s.a. you all know there is some computer wise guy making a "go faster" e.c.m. right now.

Having lived in England and while selling various kit for motorcyclists in the mid 90s I met and became friends with several of the writers from the various mags and newspapers.

Superbike is a strange one. They like to think of themselves as different, special the elite. Above all others.

Most journos in England think them full of
S--T.

They HAD to tweak the numbers didn't they??!!
After all they are the "special ones" and of course their results could in no way match the results of the common rabble!!

Just a bunch of Gormless F--K witts.

Keep your pecker up!!

Curt!

Back