Suomy spec-1r extreme

basscrazy

Donating Member
Registered
I purchased the Spec-1R Extreme Gambler from Josh. I love it. The graphics are great. The helmet is extremly light weight and the air flow through the helmet is outstanding. (Riding with this thing in the winter should be interesting) Out of all of the positives there is one neg. (..and not a big neg) This has got to be the loudest helmet I have ever owned. At 70+ mph, the inside of my helmet sounds like a engine from a F-16 (not in decibel, but sound).
question:
-Does anyone elses helmet sound like a jet engine.
-By the way, what can I do to quiet the helmet down?
-Has anyone A/Bed this helmet against any other high end helmet?

Disclaimer: The loudness is not a show stopper. It is not a painful loud, just louder than I expected. I actually plan on buying the Spec-1R Extreme Flower next.

I thought I covered this on more than one occasion,got to say it! "I told you so" Ear plugs my man.
wink.gif

"-Has anyone A/Bed this helmet against any other high end helmet?" Yes,RX-7 Corsair,and RF-1000,Smokes the 1000 in cooling,about the same as a RX-7,both require ear plugs with all the vents open.All that moving air has got to make some sound.:;):

"-Has anyone A/Bed this helmet against any other high end helmet?" Yes,RX-7 Corsair,and RF-1000,Smokes the 1000 in cooling,about the same as a RX-7,both require ear plugs with all the vents open.All that moving air has got to make some sound.:;):
What is interesting about this helmet is that there is not a way to shut the two top vents off. Just holes up there. You were right.... Ear plugs it is. Thanks NJ

I will assure you,there is no better helmet than a Spec1R-Extreme,the RX-7 is right there with it,X-11 Shoei is there as well,but as the others,it needs ear plugs as well.The RX-7,X-11,and the Spec1R-Extreme are all on equal ground with a slight edge going to Suomy for their Graphics.

I purchased the Spec-1R Extreme Gambler from Josh.  I love it.  The graphics are great.  The helmet is extremly light weight and the air flow through the helmet is outstanding.  (Riding with this thing in the winter should be interesting)  Out of all of the positives there is one neg. (..and not a big neg)  This has got to be the loudest helmet I have ever owned.  At 70+ mph, the inside of my helmet sounds like a engine from a F-16 (not in decibel, but sound).  
question:

Disclaimer:  The loudness is not a show stopper.  It is not a painful loud, just louder than I expected.  I actually plan on buying the Spec-1R Extreme Flower next.
I was almost in on that group buy...and it's a good deal but...I researched and bumped the Suomy Extreme against Shoei's X11 and.....well?...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/x-eleven/

and...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/suomy-helmets/suomy-extreme.htm

There was 3 things that swayed me towards the X11...

1. Evidently the Suomy Extreme has vents but...you can't close them and...

2. The Suomy grahix wasn't really my style and....

3. The X11 had a reputation for being remarkably quiet for a race spec helmet that flows as much air as it does....and it is...remarkably quiet and god does it ever flow air.
biggrin.gif

and for bonus points?...i CAN close all the vents on my X11 should i ever get caught in rain or cold.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I purchased the Spec-1R Extreme Gambler from Josh. I love it. The graphics are great. The helmet is extremly light weight and the air flow through the helmet is outstanding. (Riding with this thing in the winter should be interesting) Out of all of the positives there is one neg. (..and not a big neg) This has got to be the loudest helmet I have ever owned. At 70+ mph, the inside of my helmet sounds like a engine from a F-16 (not in decibel, but sound).
question:

Disclaimer: The loudness is not a show stopper. It is not a painful loud, just louder than I expected. I actually plan on buying the Spec-1R Extreme Flower next.
I was almost in on that group buy...and it's a good deal but...I researched and bumped the Suomy Extreme against Shoei's X11 and.....well?...

and...

3. The X11 had a reputation for being remarkably quiet for a race spec helmet that flows as much air as it does....and it is...remarkably quiet and god does it ever flow air.
biggrin.gif

and for bonus points?...i CAN close all the vents on my X11 should i ever get caught in rain or cold.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Not calling you out Bill,But I can close every vent on my Spec1R Extreme.EVERY vent can be closed.

I just went and looked at both my Spec1R and the Extreme,youre thinking about the normal Spec1R not the extreme,on the Spec1R,only the chin vent can be closed,but on the the Extreme,ALL the vents can be closed.And there is no comparing a Spec1R to an Extreme,2 different animals with 2 very different price tags.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156128966 -->

I purchased the Spec-1R Extreme Gambler from Josh.  I love it.  The graphics are great.  The helmet is extremly light weight and the air flow through the helmet is outstanding.  (Riding with this thing in the winter should be interesting)  Out of all of the positives there is one neg. (..and not a big neg)  This has got to be the loudest helmet I have ever owned.  At 70+ mph, the inside of my helmet sounds like a engine from a F-16 (not in decibel, but sound).  
question:

Disclaimer:  The loudness is not a show stopper.  It is not a painful loud, just louder than I expected.  I actually plan on buying the Spec-1R Extreme Flower next.

and...

biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Not calling you out Bill,But I can close every vent on my Spec1R Extreme.EVERY vent can be closed.
oh...you don't need to "call me out"..he11...i only know what i read...to wit...

Venting
The Extreme has what we'd describe as a relatively standard venting package. The chin vent has a simple flip-down lever to open or close. It's intuitive (flip down to open, flip up to close), but it feels slightly flimsy. We have some doubt about how long it will last.

The flipper-style vent is actually a splitter; it splits the air coming in and directs some of it down through a wide opening in the back of the chin bar and through a series of vertical bars, down on to the lower portion of the rider's chin. We're guessing that this lower vent also works to relieve pressure under the front of the helmet when the rider is tucked in a racing position at a high rate of speed.

The upper portion of the air flow is directed through two holes directly in back of the vent and on to the rider's face about even with the lips. Some of the air also travels in front of the breath guard and on to the back of the visor, although we've been very surprised to experience more visor fogging with the AGV Ti-Tech and the Extreme than we expected. It could possibly be caused by some unusual local weather conditions, but the phenomenon seems to be absent on other helmets used during the same period.

"The top vents consist of non-closable openings" along either side on the upper portion of the helmet built in to a hollow appliqué that sits in a slight recess. We're not fond of this type of design, because the appliqué always looks like it was hastily glued on and they seem to be the first things that get damaged if the helmet is dropped or banged by accident.

but i guess you could "call out"....the..."web bike world editors review" if ya like.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

to quote The Joker from Batman...

"where does he [NJ] get those wondeful toys"

smile.gif

I've had several Shoei helmets, one Arai and now use a Suomy Spec 1-R Extreme. The Suomy is the most comfortable AND the most noisy of the bunch but I'm like basscrazy - the noise isn't as bad as the fit is good. I do think that Suomy could do something about the noise, as the Shoei X-11 is well-vented without as much noise.

A tip for prospective Suomy buyers. If you select a graphics pattern from a past year and the dealer has to order it from a distributor, you can save big bucks. Last spring, I picked one that was first released in 2004 and paid $299 for a $699 helmet because the distributor was discounting the "older" patterns to the dealer.

Ed

Back