Sub-Sonic 22 rounds in a rifle

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Almost done building a new house out in the country, where I can shoot guns on my own property.

Out of respect for neighbors, far away but within hearing distance I will probably not be shooting on my own land with loud ammo though. We have some really nice state owned ranges, free, about 30 minutes away.

So I am considerring a 22 rifle and using it with sub-somic rounds to plunk around on my own property. How would this compare, or should I just get a good air (pellet) rifle?

Used to work with a guy that shot 22 shorts in his garage for this very reason. Honestly I didn't think they were much quieter than LR rounds though. There are some pretty serious pellet guns out nowadays if your willing to go that route.

Interestingly enough big brother doesn't regulate suppressors on air guns since it's not considered a gun. They make some supper nice and quiet suppressed air guns up to 50 cal. Not cheap but what is these days.

quiet fun

Part of living in the county and country is listening to gunshots.
Shoot what you want at respectable hours and don't worry about it.
22's are not loud a short distance away either.
So unless you can talk out your window to your neighbors, you're not disturbing anyone with a 22, other than quiet firework cracks in the distance.

Interesting. However:

- Suppressors ARE regulated by the ATF
- Anything 3D printed today would not be able to handle the heat, would distort and cause a head strike.
- Saying you can 3D print up to .50cal pretty much blow the 'air rifle' excuse out of the water :)

In the video, they used a .22LR, so in the short term yes it would handle the heat generated. I sure hope he had a FFL to build silencers because otherwise what he just did is illegal under current law. However, very interesting....

Part of living in the county and country is listening to gunshots.
Shoot what you want at respectable hours and don't worry about it.
22's are not loud a short distance away either.
So unless you can talk out your window to your neighbors, you're not disturbing anyone with a 22, other than quiet firework cracks in the distance.
Fire off the biggest stuff u want before 9pm when ever you want to & you will have very respectful neighbors end of story man up when have you ever mentioned someones 22 sub round? Unless attached to an oil can filter Ha ha. Click.

Fire off the biggest stuff u want before 9pm when ever you want to & you will have very respectful neighbors end of story man up when have you ever mentioned someones 22 sub round? Unless attached to an oil can filter Ha ha. Click.

...or a lawn mower muffler

Back