Sub frame fix? Don\'t kill me if I\'m way off.

OB_DEWEY4

Registered
I might be way off, but to me it seems that if you ride 2 up that adds stress when the bike jars around. The bike jars around with a tight suspension, so soften the suspension up a little with a passenger. That would make the stress on the sub frame more of a sustained load not as erratic as with the jarring of a harsh suspension. I know, I know, it brings the performance around corners down (whining). All I know is I don't want to hear my wife screaming in my ear making me more deaf than I already am because I'm trying to be a pro GP racer with her on the back! So, would this solve the problem at all. Just wondering, don't kill me if I'm wrong.

Damn! Also how big are these people! Did they all weigh 250+ with wives the size of waterbuffalo. Or are they being complete dorks and trying to convert their "sport tourer" into a luxury tourer Goldwing. IF YOU WANT A GOLDWING BUY A GOLDWING! I haven't seen any Ferrari's pulling horse trailers lately. I can't believe that a thick *** sub frame like the busa's would bust with me (165) and my wife (130) on it. My mountain bike can handle both of us and the entire bike weighs in at a hefty 22lbs!

I think the failures (at least the two I saw) were due to the addition of the GIVI hard luggage system. The load due to the GIVI mounting system is different from a passenger load in that the GIVI racks transmit both load AND vibration into the sub-frame. I believe vibration is the primary source of the load cycling that is producing the cracks.

There are many examples of load bearing systems that function perfectly but fail without load when subjected to the right vibrational frequency.

Does anyone know of a sub-frame failure where the passenger was the most likely cause ?

Also, if the GIVI frame is a poor fit, it can be imparting huge loads (well in excess of the weight of a passenger) into the subframe.

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 02 August 2000).]

I like your vibration theory, Cavedweller, and could certainly be part of the reason the subframes are failing. However, not all the failures occured on bikes with hard luggage fitted. (I think this is what Peter was getting at).

C_rod2000 has got it wrong. It's not the WELDS that are breaking, it's the cast sections that the tubing is welded to that breaks.

All these macho guys saying: "its only about 5 cases in 10,000 bikes sold - I'll worry about it if it happens to me...." Consider this: Say Suzuki has sold 10,000 bikes world wide' I'd say 80 - 90 % of Hayabusas are ridden solo, all the time.

Of the remaining 1-2000 I'd guess that these are ridden solo about 70% of the time. this leaves us with the equivilent of 300 to 600 bikes ridden two-up all the time. I'd say 5-10 failures in 300 bikes is highly significant!

Who knows, it may be bad design, bad materials or poor manufacturing techniques, but unitl Suzuki come up with a reason, I am only riding mine solo!!

http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/images/mvc-005f.jpg

[This message has been edited by DaveD (edited 03 August 2000).]

If the subframe will be fixed by changing
the cast part with billet aluminum, will
the main frame withstand or crack ? ....

If so the subframe has to be attached to the
main frame in another way.

/Ove

i thought maybe the welds were not good enough. Helll, the tig welds on the fking frame and swingarm dont impress me at all.

Come on Dave,... your "GUESSING!" you havn't got one single fact, out of many that are needed to make any calculations about anything!You guys make this crap up and then you all buy it!!!
Only Suzuki knows for sure!!what the real story is!Bonifide documented facts!!and none of us has that information!

OK then smart-*** , what percentage of Busa's do you see being ridden two-up?

I did say it was only a guess, and it is only my opinion, but the point I was making is that it IS a significant problem

Back