Stupid kweshtun: Clutch related

84Ninja

Registered
I took a ride to the ocean and back recently (nonstop, for 500 miles). When 3/4 home I pulled over for gas. When I was leaving ans started in 1st it felt like the clutch didnt engage until it was nearly all the way out. Felt "sloppy"when doing this. I also see that I have an extremely small leak somewhere above the kickstand attachment. This same area is also saturated with that dirty oil look. Drops are very black and thick. Bike runs fine, otherwise, but doesnt seem as spunky as it normally is. Thanx if u can suggest anything :)

Kurt
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds likr it's time to pull the left fairing and clean up the mess and then inspect.

Your sprocket cover/clutch slave cylinder is there and it sounds like it may have a leak. If so, that would explain your oil and lack luster performance of the clutch.

I also see that I have an extremely small leak somewhere above the kickstand attachment. This same area is also saturated with that dirty oil look. Drops are very black and thick. Bike runs fine, otherwise, but doesnt seem as spunky as it normally is. Thanx if u can suggest anything :)

Kurt
Posted via Mobile Device

I get that dirty, oily residue running down my kickstand too...and I try to clean it regularly like isaiah suggested.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...nt-sprocket-need-help-identifying-spacer.html

What would you expect from a '84 Ninja. Be happy it still rides. :rofl:

Sorry, buddy, couldn't help myself. It's hard to get the feel of your problem. Any chance you were simply tired and it seemed odd? As to your leak, it's possible that there is a small leak at the shift rod. Every time you work the clutch, the shift rod goes back and forth. If the gasket got worn, you get a small oil leak which is proportional to how many times you pull the clutch. You can access the rod by removing the front sprocket cover. It's really hard to tell because the entire area is greasy and oily, but maybe you can. Fixing such leak is a pain in the butt if that's what it is.

The right way to identify is to open the front sprocket cover and clean everything. Then, close it back, go ride, then come back, open, and see if you got any oil leak.

Back to your first problem. If it's really a problem, it will reappear.

Now, tell me you did all 500 miles in one day, and were home by dinner time - that would be :beerchug: :thumbsup: :bowdown:. Otherwise, you are a [put any politically incorrect word here] :rofl:

Sounds likr it's time to pull the left fairing and clean up the mess and then inspect.

Your sprocket cover/clutch slave cylinder is there and it sounds like it may have a leak. If so, that would explain your oil and lack luster performance of the clutch.

I'd say the slave cylinder doesn't have a leak which would affect the clutch action because if it did he wouldn't be able to disengage the clutch even when the clutch lever is squeezed all the way to the bar. He is complaining about the opposite - the clutch disengages so well that it takes him to almost release the lever so that the clutch engages back.

Thank u very much gentleman. In either case I'm going to have it looked at soon! I appreciate your kind inputs :)

Kurt
Posted via Mobile Device

Back