Stupid is as stupid does

Glyn

Donating Member
Registered
A Shirley man was arrested April 3 after a lengthy chase by the highway patrol and two police helicopters that ended with the suspect running into a wooded area of Patchogue to smoke a cigarette.

Police say Paul A. Fazio reached speeds of 140 miles per hour on his Yamaha motorcycle on the Long Island Expressway at about 6:55 Tuesday evening. What followed was a 40-minute chase as Fazio driving recklessly on highways and through residential streets, according to cops.

Nassau County Highway Patrol Officer Greg Celentano pursued 37-year-old Fazio’s black and red motorcycle as it weaved dangerously in and out of the HOV lane, passing cars on the left shoulder. It was at this point that Suffolk County Highway Patrol Officer Jim Rochford joined in the pursuit, alerting Suffolk Police Aviation of the situation.

The two police cars followed Fazio for about five minutes, after which two Suffolk Police Helicopters located him driving eastbound on Sunrise Highway in Sayville and tracked his location from the skies.

“It was safer to monitor the suspect using helicopters because he was a danger to other drivers and citizens,†says Sgt. Michael Mehr of the SCPD Highway Patrol.

Fazio lead the police helicopters from Sayville to Shirley and then back to Patchogue, finally ending the chase at a dead end on Ohls Street in the Canaan Lake section of Patchogue. Realizing he was trapped, Fazio abandoned his bike and fled into nearby woods.

After running about 200 yards, he stopped to smoke a cigarette. Fazio was then arrested as helicopters directed police units to his location.

At the time of his arrest, Fazio did not have a motorcycle license and his driver’s license was suspended. Fazio’s Yamaha motorcycle was impounded.

Police charged Fazio with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, unlawfully fleeing police, and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and a range of additional traffic infractions.

Fazio has a string of previous charges spanning 15 years, the latest of which includes criminal possession of an illegal substance in February 2006, according to Suffolk police.

There were no drugs or alcohol in Fazio’s system at the time of his arrest, police say.

“He fled because he just didn’t want to get a ticket,†says Mehr.

Fazio was released on $1,500 station bail Tuesday and is scheduled to appear for arraignment on May 23 at First District Court in Central Islip.

I guess he should quit smoking
SHOCKED.gif

Those cigs will get you every time! Can't believe he's being chased and stops for a smoke!!!!

he knew he was caught and figured he had better smoke 'em before they got to him...will be interesting to see what he ends up getting sentenced
beerchug.gif

i once saw a guy crash at a stop light and before he even got off the ground he light a smoke and then got up     people were like WTF
all_coholic.gif

When I was a smoker, I could run 300 yards before I needed to light up. That guy is really out of shape, thats all.

all_coholic.gif
ices_rofl.gif

(Shanling @ Apr. 06 2007,14:10) When I was a smoker, I could run 300 yards before I needed to light up. That guy is really out of shape, thats all.

all_coholic.gif
ices_rofl.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(DC TONY @ Apr. 06 2007,18:20) THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T RIDE A BUSA    
rock.gif
A Busa rider would be hitting drive-thrus for Whoppers and BigMacs during the chase!
laugh.gif

Good on the PD Supervisor for having ground units back off and aviation take over.

Back