Stupid is as stupid does

I'm not saying this is the way to go, but should anyone intervene on the kids behalf? Should we just let the natural order of the Universe happen and the kid is taken out of the gene pool? I'm on the fence. He may need a dirt nap to save others from his stupidity.:cheerleader:

He is not equipped mentally for life as we know it, seems he got the short bus genes already. :whistle:

I haven't decided yet..........

This is not a case of saving someone from themselves. I think the public is at significant danger, do everything possible to intervene or you may end up regretting you did not.

Sure...are you serious? Because I dont wear a jacket I must be a supporter of illegal and unsafe riding? The bike is not legal without BOTH brakes. If I dont wear a jacket I hurt myself I dont kill other motorists or my ignorant girlfriend.

I am not sure where you come up with this stuff from sometimes man.:poke:

My point EXACTLY!

Perhaps, but if you get hit by a stone or piece of road garbage without your jacket on, or without a helmet, the resulting injury could distract you to the point you lose control of your motorcycle causing an accident, injuring others. So it is more than a personal issue.

The point is that both are equally wrong, yet we seem to be quick to admonish the rider for his bike being in sub-optimal condition but slow to acknowledge that riding without proper PPE is just as dangerous.

I fully agree in terms of the passenger. (Remember I did not find the humor in the girl riding on the hump.)

I come up with this stuff because I have after 20+ years (rather than 10 weeks) of riding experience.

If you are not riding in a safe manner how can you support safe riding. Shouldn't your example start with you?

Also I could not find in FL State law anything that states that it is ilegal to ride a motorcycle with no front brakes (not that it is not there, I just could not find it). It is stupid but from what I could find NOT illegal.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but if you get hit by a stone or piece of road garbage without your jacket on, or without a helmet, the resulting injury could distract you to the point you lose control of your motorcycle causing an accident, injuring others. So it is more than a personal issue.

The point is that both are equally wrong, yet we seem to be quick to admonish the rider for his bike being in sub-optimal condition but slow to acknowledge that riding without proper PPE is just as dangerous.

I fully agree in terms of the passenger. (Remember I did not find the humor in the girl riding on the hump.)

I come up with this stuff because I have after 20+ years (rather than 10 weeks) of riding experience.

Alright, now I got to go back and find out what the fight is about. Dayum you Dino :laugh:

You compare apples to oranges my friend. An unsafe bike on the road is very different that someones choice to not wear gear. But hey, I will look you up in 20 years and we can resurrect this topic once again as I am sure we still will not agree... So keep on pushing your agenda or "education" as you like to call it and I will keep defending my right to chose.... This after all America.:beerchug:

Alright, now I got to go back and find out what the fight is about. Dayum you Dino :laugh:

No need to go back its the same fight we have had since I posted up a photo of myself not wearing a jacket and he labeled me a reckless rider. But...ehhh. Whatever. Everyone has and opinion and the right to voice it on the internet. LOL:laugh:

I hate finding myself in these situations, because I can't help myself. I would intervene and have everyone hating me. Oh well :whistle:

:poke: just rear brakes huh?

Anyone ever just talk to him? Not lecture, not talk down to him but just chat with the guy? There are ways of bringing up how important having a proper running bike without first pointing out his bike isn't in that group.

You compare apples to oranges my friend. An unsafe bike on the road is very different that someones choice to not wear gear. But hey, I will look you up in 20 years and we can resurrect this topic once again as I am sure we still will not agree... So keep on pushing your agenda or "education" as you like to call it and I will keep defending my right to chose.... This after all America.:beerchug:

See this is where you are wrong. How is choosing to ride an unsafe bike any different than choosing to be unsafe by not wearing gear?

I would submit that an unsafe bike is just as dangerous as an unsafe rider (both to the individual and anyone nearby). Put them together and you have a tragedy waiting to happen.

Yes this is American and you have every right to make good and bad choices. Just remember that you are never the only one to be affected by the choices you make.

See this is where you are wrong. How is choosing to ride an unsafe bike any different than choosing to be unsafe by not wearing gear?

I would submit that an unsafe bike is just as dangerous as an unsafe rider (both to the individual and anyone nearby). Put them together and you have a tragedy waiting to happen.

Yes this is American and you have every right to make good and bad choices. Just remember that you are never the only one to be affected by the choices you make.

For the record, I fully endorse and practice the ATGATT philosophy. However, in all fairness, lack of proper gear generally has much less potential to CAUSE an accident than lack of brakes.

Example: If a bug hits you in the eye or a stone smacks you in the nose, you can still hit the brakes. On the other hand, if you have full gear on and need to slow down quickly, all that gear won't do anything to remedy the fact that the brakes aren't there.

Certainly wearing full gear provides protection against distraction from all sorts of possible issues one might encounter while in motion, but I do think it's a stretch to say that riding without a jacket is a) as likely to result in an accident or b) as likely to result in injury to anyone other than the rider who chooses to go without.

That said, I implore all who appreciate having your body the way it is now to gear up, ATGATT style, for every ride. Your family and friends will get some peace of mind and your body will thank you, should you ever, heaven forbid, put the protection to use.

Ride safe, y'all!

Why? Isn't it his choice to ride the way he wants?
Considering he's wadded up two bikes thus far and has proven that he hasn't learned a thing, someone really needs to have a father to a fool talk with him before he hurts someone.

For the record, I fully endorse and practice the ATGATT philosophy. However, in all fairness, lack of proper gear generally has much less potential to CAUSE an accident than lack of brakes.

Example: If a bug hits you in the eye or a stone smacks you in the nose, you can still hit the brakes. On the other hand, if you have full gear on and need to slow down quickly, all that gear won't do anything to remedy the fact that the brakes aren't there.

Certainly wearing full gear provides protection against distraction from all sorts of possible issues one might encounter while in motion, but I do think it's a stretch to say that riding without a jacket is a) as likely to result in an accident or b) as likely to result in injury to anyone other than the rider who chooses to go without.

That said, I implore all who appreciate having your body the way it is now to gear up, ATGATT style, for every ride. Your family and friends will get some peace of mind and your body will thank you, should you ever, heaven forbid, put the protection to use.

Ride safe, y'all!

I completely agree. Yes there are lots of other factors involved, not the least of which is the experience level of the rider, but the potential for an accident is still there.

Considering he's wadded up two bikes thus far and has proven that he hasn't learned a thing, someone really needs to have a father to a fool talk with him before he hurts someone.

Absolutely.

Chrisjp...what you got there is an organ donor...that is one of the funiest quips I've ever read....hilarious..2hip

He should throw some gear on and ditch the rear brake. Downshifting is the way to stop!

On a serious note I got my MC license when I was 19,turn 41 on the 8th. Rode with Just gloves and Helmet on the Florida roads and never had an incident where a rock or lit cigarette butt(plenty of them) prevented me from braking in a pinch. However my brakes worked just fine. US19 is one of the most dangerous roads(at one point was #1,maybe still is?) in the USA. It's a mile fro my house. So I've seen my fair share of wreckless drivers.

It's a fact that I'd be safer with gear,but it's a fact that riding something that has almost no brakes=Stupid. Comparing lack of gear to something that shouldn't be on the road = no comparison. Gear 99.9% comes into play after the fact. Lack of brakes comes into play 100% before the fact. I don't recall hearing about a rider wrecking due to lack of gear.

Strife found the proper link, but for those not wanting to click it...

316.261 Brake equipment required
(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:
(motorcycles are not noted as an exception)

Now then, on the other topic. If the argument that riding without gear is inherently unsafe and could thereby harm another, the argument could be extended that by even being ON a motorcycle it is inherently unsafe and could thereby harm another and should thus be disallowed. You all ready for that one?

When people no longer need to take responsibility for their own actions they stop caring about those actions. This person does not have a sense of responsibility to himself or his passenger and therefore does not care. Let him ride without a jacket or helmet or glasses. He gets hurt, he feels pain. He injures someone else, we have laws and courts for that. He hurts himself? Well, stupid is as stupid does.

Strife found the proper link, but for those not wanting to click it...

316.261 Brake equipment required
(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:
(motorcycles are not noted as an exception)

Now then, on the other topic. If the argument that riding without gear is inherently unsafe and could thereby harm another, the argument could be extended that by even being ON a motorcycle it is inherently unsafe and could thereby harm another and should thus be disallowed. You all ready for that one?

When people no longer need to take responsibility for their own actions they stop caring about those actions. This person does not have a sense of responsibility to himself or his passenger and therefore does not care. Let him ride without a jacket or helmet or glasses. He gets hurt, he feels pain. He injures someone else, we have laws and courts for that. He hurts himself? Well, stupid is as stupid does.

Great find. Please tell me how the parking brake and single lever to operate all brakes work on your Busa?

(2)**PARKING BRAKES; ADEQUACY.--Every such vehicle and combination of vehicles shall be equipped with parking brakes adequate to hold the vehicle on any grade on which it is operated, under all conditions of loading, on a surface free of loose material. The parking brakes shall be capable of being applied in conformance with the foregoing requirements by the driver's muscular effort or by spring action or by equivalent means. Their operation may be assisted by the service brakes or other source of power provided that failure of the service brake actuation system or other power assisting mechanism will not prevent the parking brakes from being applied in conformance with the foregoing requirements. The parking brakes shall be so designed that when once applied they shall remain applied with the required effectiveness despite exhaustion of any source of energy or leakage of any kind. The same brakedrums, brakeshoes and lining assemblies, brakeshoe anchors, and mechanical brakeshoe actuation mechanism normally associated with the wheel-brake assemblies may be used for both the service brakes and the parking brakes. If the means of applying the parking brakes and the service brakes are connected in any way, they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part shall not leave the vehicle without operative brakes.

(8)**SINGLE CONTROL TO OPERATE ALL BRAKES.--Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer, and every combination of such vehicles, equipped with brakes shall have the braking system so arranged that one control device can be used to operate all service brakes. This requirement does not prohibit vehicles from being equipped with an additional control device to be used to operate brakes on the towed vehicles. This regulation does not apply to driveaway or towaway operations unless the brakes on the individual vehicles are designed to be operated by a single control on the towing vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Back