Stupid Chain Question????

FastRash

Registered
I just bought a 06 Hayabusa with right at 8k miles on it now. The chain appears to be solid. However it doesnt look oily like a bicycle chain. Do I need to lube this thing or what? this is my first chain drive motorcycle and I want to do it right. If I need to get a pic I can get one

Yes, lube it every 500 miles or so, more if you ride in the rain. Best thing I have found that will not sling everywhere is Dupont Chain lube available at Lowes.

Edit, clean with Kerosene and then lube, wipe it down and done.

If it is dirty (not oily) then use a GRUNGE BRUSH with
Dupont Motorcycle Degreaser for Chain & Sprockets - Then after it is clean I lube
with Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. I got these products at Walmart, but they are probably available elsewhere too.

The chain looks good and it stays clean for quite awhile.

It's not impossible that the first owner NEVER cleaned or lubed the chain.
Like you, maybe he never had a chain driven motorcycle before.

If the chain is at all stiff then it really needs to be cleaned and lubed.
Your bike will thank you for it. :laugh:

:welcome:

I used Chain Saver from the get go on my bike and got over 30K on the factory chain and could have gotten more. It's good stuff!

Just my :2cents: If the chain has been neglected I would consider changing it with a good quality chain and then do like Twotone said. If the chain doesn't have any clicks, clunks or pops when you spin the rear wheel by hand or rolling you may be okay.

I heard the dupont chain saver was awsome. Never used it but I heard it doesn't sling and resist collecting dirt and what not. Never used it but I heard it doesn't sling and resist collecting dirt and what not. The dupont Multipurpose lubricant with Teflon is what I used last and works well. This stuff eats grease I sprayed a few dirty areas and with a lil scrubbing knocked the nasty stuff off. next lube job il use dupont chain saver.

lube it, and lube it often. no matter what others say, it's your chain and you can lube it as often as you like.

:rofl:
ok, now that that joke is out of the way.

like the others said, keep it clean (a problem I have) and spray the thing down every once in a while.

just check your spray before you buy the stuff. I got a can of IDK lube at the store on the dragon last year, it was the nastiest slinginest black sticking everywhere snot that I had ever played with. im still cleaning the stuff off 5000mi later.

have fun and replace when needed. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Try the dupont Multipurpose lube with teflon. I used some Yama lube and it slung black stuff everywhere. Spay down with lube and rinse with some warm soapy water. Worked for me.

Back