Stuck in Neutral?

vincent

What blue lights?
Donating Member
Registered
The busa has been sitting for a short while while I had more important things going on in my life than riding. Finally got a chance to get around and start getting it ready to ride yesterday and noticed that there was no pressure in the clutch. Bled the clutch lines and now have good pressure but some reason the damned shift lever does not want to come out of neutral?
Busa was sitting for about 3 months.
Never had the problem before.
Suggestions?

Have you started it and tried to shift it while it’s running? What state was it in when you parked it? How long has it been parked?

Haven't tried while running yet, its still on the battery tender.
Parked in Pensacola Fl.
Parked about 3 months

(vincent @ Oct. 30 2006,10:56) Haven't tried while running yet, its still on the battery tender.
Parked in Pensacola Fl.
Parked about 3 months
Sorry vincent I didn’t mean what state as in state in the union but was it in good running order when you parked it?

When I parked it was right before the registration went out because I had other things to deal with at the time. Hadn't noticed any problems when I parked it.

You should be able to rock it back and forth without the clutch engaged and get it to go in or out of gear. Are you sure the shifter linkage isn't frozen for some reason?

Vincent,
Do you have stands? Is there anything that I can help you with? Also, how did you bleed the clutch? I have a hand pump that we can try...

haven't tried rocking it back and forth yet, its still on the stands until I can figure something out. That is the next step though.

MCM, bled the clutch manually. Its working good and holding pressure now so clutch lines seem to be good. Will know more once the battery is charged

Mine tends to do this every now and then... doesn't want to come off neutral when just sitting there~ I found that bringing up the RPMs while dropping into 1st seems to do the trick~ Not sure why it happens, or why the RPMs make a diff, but it beats stomping on the shifter~
SHOCKED.gif

can try that one as well.
Hoping the plates are just stuck together and will break loose once actually riding.

Trying to get everything perfect since I will be riding out to Ca around the first of the year. Really don't want any surprises on a cross country trip

Start the bike....cycle the clutch a bit, then pull the clutch all the way.....put it in first, it will grab.

Sometimes it needs a little rock back and forth.

You have good help in MCM.

Well, rocking the bike back and forth and playing with linkage got everything working. Now only problem is that although the battery was on a tender for the past 18 hours, still no juice in it. Guess what I'm buying tomorrow!
If it ain't one thing its another

(vincent @ Oct. 30 2006,17:17) Well, rocking the bike back and forth and playing with linkage got everything working.  Now only problem is that although the battery was on a tender for the past 18 hours, still no juice in it.  Guess what I'm buying tomorrow!
If it ain't one thing its another
beerchug.gif

Where are you going to get it? John sold me one at a good price, but PMS and D&D are closer...

True, haven't decided where from just yet. Will figures something out though

One of the reasons people sometimes have a problem with the bike either being hard to shift or not going completely into gear is because they do not have the shifter clamp oriented correctly. It should be near 12:00. If it is at 10:00 or 2:00 or even further away from 12:00 it is creating pressure pushing on the shaft before rolling over to change gears. Make sure yours is correct.

OSF_left.JPG

Back