Stuck in 6th gear

Sonaljain71

Registered
I have a strange encounter while riding my bike on an expressway in three digit speed my 6th gear got stuck and I had to send my bike to dealership on a flatbed truck. The dealership tells me that a linkage spring got stuck and while loosening the linkage nut with Allen key the spring got loose and gear fell back in 5th position. They insist that I take the bike back but I’m asking them to get me the opinion on safety from Suzuki guys as mybike is 6 months old and done only 3000 kms and the gearbox was opened meaning to me that it’s a manufacturing defect needing replacement of defective part on a high precision gear box of a very fast moving vehicle.

Any further tips or advise here for me.

I have a strange encounter
while riding my bike on an expressway in three digit speed
my 6th gear got stuck and I had to send my bike to dealership on a flatbed truck .

The dealership tells me that a linkage spring got stuck
and while loosening the linkage nut with Allen key
the spring got loose and gear fell back in 5th position .

They insist that I take the bike back
but I am asking them to get me the opinion
on safety from Suzuki guys as my bike is 6 months old
and done only 3000 kilometers and the gearbox was opened
meaning to me that it is a manufacturing defect needing replacement
of defective part on a high precision gear box of a very fast moving vehicle.

Any further tips or advise here for me .

Pretty sure it is illegal to run triple digits on the expressway ~ Dealer fixed it & did not charge you or did you get reamed *

At least you did not pay $1,450.00 for a service contract ~ that only covers failures & does not cover any service *

Limit here’s 120 kph. Was under that.
My understanding is that this is a warranty issue of replacement of gearbox as an important part failed to perform. Suppose it breaks next time and stalls the rear wheel ... I guess I won’t be there to tell the story even if i’m Doing 60 kmph.

Limit here’s 120 kph. Was under that.
My understanding is that this is a warranty issue of replacement of gearbox as an important part failed to perform. Suppose it breaks next time and stalls the rear wheel ... I guess I won’t be there to tell the story even if i’m Doing 60 kmph.

Although, you would have a very low chance of dying at 60 KMPH, I do think that the last comment was pretty unwarranted towards you, considering you did mention that you were in KMs. Anyways, I would pursue that claim and I won't take my bike back while under warranty unless I see that work as been done and I get a receipt saying that it's safe for me to ride. A bike is far more dangerous than a car and every little problem CAN kill you.

I have a strange encounter while riding my bike on an expressway in three digit speed my 6th gear got stuck and I had to send my bike to dealership on a flatbed truck. The dealership tells me that a linkage spring got stuck and while loosening the linkage nut with Allen key the spring got loose and gear fell back in 5th position. They insist that I take the bike back but I’m asking them to get me the opinion on safety from Suzuki guys as mybike is 6 months old and done only 3000 kms and the gearbox was opened meaning to me that it’s a manufacturing defect needing replacement of defective part on a high precision gear box of a very fast moving vehicle.

Any further tips or advise here for me.
My 09 got stuck in 5th & 6th. Feels like a spring came off. I have a healtech quickshifter and have had several faults neutrals that are really hard on the motor. I'll know more when I crack it open tomorrow.

0513211045.jpg

My 09 got stuck in 5th & 6th. Feels like a spring came off. I have a healtech quickshifter and have had several faults neutrals that are really hard on the motor. I'll know more when I crack it open tomorrow.
There are two springs in there, one to make the shift shaft return and one to keep tension on the shift cam arm or detent arm sometimes people call it--the little pizza cutter looking thing that rolls into the valleys on the shift star and holds it in place. I'd say if a spring came off, it would be the detent arm spring. You'd probably feel less tension in the shift pedal but the shift pedal would still come back to the middle position after you tried to shift. There's no way the shift shaft return spring could coe off because it wraps around the shift shaft. The detent arm spring is probably bolted to the inside of the engine case if it's designed the same as Kawasaki. I could definitely see that bolt coming out. Hopefully that is the only problem and the bolt didn't fall out completely. If it did, it and the detent arm, maybe a small collar probably went down the sump. You'd have to remove the oil pan to retrieve them. Check Bike Bandit for a parts fiche and you'll see what I'm talking about. Check the service manual for proper procedures, it probably suggests locktight AND correct torque. Clean the oil out of the threads good with some mineral spirits and follow that with a swab of denatured alcohol. I used the blue oil proof locktite. Don't use 263 because they say it's permanent. Loctite 1330799 243 Oil Tolerant Removable Medium Blue Threadlocker 6ml : Threadlockers - $6.20 EMI Supply, Inc

Hope it's what I think. I think you will need to remove the whole clutch. Be absolutely certain you keep the plates in the correct order and install as removed. I even marked the tongues to the slots and fingers to the grooves. I hope we have a tutorial on here for that. Other than that, it should be pretty simple as long as the parts didn't fall down the sump. I guess I'd want to get those out pretty soon. It wouldn't cause any harm but it would bother me to know they were rattling around in there. Check your clutch plate wear while your at it. Measure the stack height. Consider an Evo shift star and detent arm. Looks like it might be an improvement for the busa because it's a smaller star. The Evo I put in my other bike which is not a busa was no better than stock that I could tell.

If it's some other problem, oh well, maybe someone else will come across this someday and be helped.

Back