Stuck axle pinch bolt. Need help!!

Craiger

Registered
Gen 1 Busa I'm able to loosen three of the pinch bolts. I get to the fourth one and I feel the allen key rounding out the head of the bolt. Now what? I tried and standard allen key tapping it in with a hammer but the bolt is still not loosening off. I think the previous owner has torqued these bolts a little tight.
Anybody got any good ideas? I'm thinking heat and vice grips? I hate the thought of drilling and easy out but I'll do what I gotta do. :banghead:

Have you sprayed it with any type of penetrant and let it set overnight?
Do that and tap...tap...tap it every other couple of hours .
It should come free in the morning ?

Tighten the other one back up and spray pentatrant on the stuck one... it may be that by loosening up one, you have put extra pressure on the other... also, I check the tightness on these reularly - but I do not put thread locker on them...

Thanks guy's i'm going to give these ideas a shot when I get home this evening. I've ordered new bolts to avoid a repeat of this little fiasco.:bowdown:

Not as stupid as messing one up like I did. They are the four, two on each side on the front side of the fork at the very bottom which when tight clamp the the front wheel axle shaft and stop it from coming loose. Same idea as you see on the triple clamps where the fork legs go through.

Like MC suggested try tightening the bolt beside the stuck one and spray wd-40, PB Blaster or equivalent penetrating oil and let it sit.

A bit of heat may be enough to soften up the thread lock...just keep it on the bolt head and backside to put the heat where it needs to be for a few seconds...map gas.

Thanks again, the bolt is out. It was rounded out enough that I tapped in a 1/4 inch allen key, tightened down the bolt next to it to take the stress off the seized one, then applied some heat for about a minute then sprayed on some wd 40 then prayed and turned the allen key and voila it loosened off.
Awesome, thanks again.:thumbsup::beerchug:

Back