Strong gas smell...

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
I noticed that I don't get too many miles on a tank if the bike sits for a few days without riding. Today I noticed a strong gas smell from the bike after a short ride. The bike had been parked for over an hour and I was walking around the bike when I smelled the gas.

Where is the first place to look for a leak? What could it be.

AAAssjani.gif
bump.gif

Lift the tank and check your o-ring under the tank, then check the hose, pull the airbox and check the fuel lines to the throttle bodies....Mine did the same thing, I pulled the pump out checked the o-ring and resnugged the allen screws holding the pump in the tank.

Lift the tank and check your o-ring under the tank, then check the hose, pull the airbox and check the fuel lines to the throttle bodies....Mine did the same thing, I pulled the pump out checked the o-ring and resnugged the allen screws holding the pump in the tank.
Thanks... I'll have a look.

I get 27mpg and I get the SAME damn thing...

Personally I blame a RICH as hell map. I need to save $300 to get my bike mapped.

I came from 37mpg with boltons

too...

27mpg with crappy Powercommander.com map, TRS system, Pair mod w/o block offs.

I wish I knew someone that lived in Florida or sea level that did the same thing. I need a map BADLY...!!!

how much black is in yer exhaust tips?

disconect yer PC for a tank full,it wont be the end of the world,and will provide a guage.

So what was the verdict?

I also have a very strong, and getting stronger, smell of gas. I'll do what is suggested above, but my mileage is also gettin worse.

I have noticed the same thing as well...worse mileage and smells like gas...I have also noticed that occasionally she will crank over longer before it fires.

Check your plugs to see if you are rich. Did you fill up before you came home? I have had the same thing happen when I park my bike after it is hot and I have filled up. I couldn't see any gas on the floor, but it sure smelled strong in the garage.

Mine were the allen screws in the bottom of the tank...I'd only smell it on hard curves though..but no problems now.

Ever figure out what it was? I noticed a smell the other day while sitting at one or two lights, then it went away. Not sure if it was me or another vehicle nearby.

Back