Stroked motor ...

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
A buddy of mine is thinking about getting a ZX-14. To make a long story short, what's holding him back is (according to him) the Busa has a pure 1300cc motor, whereas the 14 has a ZX-12R motor which has been bored out to 1352cc's and stroked. Because of this he feels the 14 has reached its limit while the Busa still has room for improvement.

So why does he want the 14 anyways ... ? Because to him ... emphasis on "TO HIM" ... the 14 looks better.

Save the flames ... he's gotten enough from me
smile.gif

Anyways, I know what is to bore a motor/engine. But what the heck is a "stroked" motor? I didn't ask him because I was too busy picking on his reason for wanting to choose the 14 over the Busa.

You can stroke the ZX-14 and even go 2mm over bore but it's not a re-engineered ZX12 engine .The cylinders are cast into the upper engine case and more .

The Busa has a separate engine block not integral with the upper engine case.

Well, I'm no bike expert but basically not only do you bore one to make the bore larger, you change the crank and or rods to make length or "STROKE" which will change the overall size or cc's of the engine. Maybe this will help! http://www.faliconcranks.com/suzbusa.htm

Stroking an ENGINE (motors are electric, sorry, pet peeve instilled in me by my Uncle, who worked on electric motors) is taking the connecting Rods and lengthening them (in the simplest terms I can think of to explain it).

If I'm wrong, well, I've been up since 2 AM and had little sleep last nigh, so there...
tounge.gif

Oops ... was writing at the same time as you guys.

Thanks, now I know.

Stroker Motor (def.)
A motor that has greater than stock displacement due to an increase in the factory crank throw. An increase in crank throw increases stroke (the difference between the piston's top dead center and bottom dead center position).
Keep in mind that rod length does not affect the displacement of the engine, it is common to have a stroker motor that uses an increased crank throw, decreased piston compression height, and stock rod length to achieve additional stroke.

Stroker motor explained w/ pictures

(Poppy @ Apr. 13 2007,16:07) Stroker Motor (def.)
A motor that has greater than stock displacement due to an increase in the factory crank throw. An increase in crank throw increases stroke (the difference between the piston's top dead center and bottom dead center position).
Keep in mind that rod length does not affect the displacement of the engine, it is common to have a stroker motor that uses an increased crank throw, decreased piston compression height, and stock rod length to achieve additional stroke.

Stroker motor explained w/ pictures
beerchug.gif

To stroke an engine is to custom rework a crank or get a custom crank that sends this rod farther up and down to draw in more air/fuel mix and push out more gases .normaly different custom rods and shorter pistons are needed so you dont send the pistons up into the head. Example if you take a small block chev 400 crank and put it in a 350 block w/ a little work ofcourse. withthe correct rods and pistons you end up with a 383cid engine. Tried to keep it simple.
smile.gif
hope it helps

Back