Stripped oil pan threads or bolt?

Somebody1010

Donating Member
Registered
yeah i goofed up at the wrong time something is stripped and i have a trackday tomorrow and need a fax asap. what should i do? Helicoil at home depot? new bolt from suzuki? HELP ASAP!

Can you determine which is stripped, pan or bolt, that would make a big difference in which direction to take for the "fix".

There is nothing fancy about the bolt that I know (besides magnet and crush gasket). I don't remember the thread or pitch, but it's not exotic!

You have striped the sump pan threads as it is aluminium, I had mine striped, and had a Helicoil fitted, 3000 miles later I drained the oil, and the helicoil came out on the sump plug, so had it done again, but couldn’t tighten up sump plug enough, so keeps leaking oil.

So today I bit the bullet, and purchased a new sump pan, gasket, sump plug and washer which came to around £127.00

I have the same problem too.Now I am with heli.iwill inform you to the next oil change.As a tip :do not change oil with hot engine even if instructions say so, 'its highly possible to damage the threads<span style='color:limegreen'></span>

I always change mine hot for a good drain and have had no problems. I don't tighten the shid out of it either. No leaks, no problems. It was extremely tight on the first oil change, I thought I had broke the rachet when it finally broke free.

Yes i dont understand people making them so tight it has a crush washer so tighten until you feel the washer then snug it you can feel the washer crush once its seated turn about a quarter turn to half turn . dont have to lay on it ..i woul;d probably pop for a sump pan first chance i got and have the old one tapped and threaded for a bigger bolt then you will have a spare..

I had the same problem in July. I went with a heli. Local machine shop did it for $30. I check all my salvage sources and they were talking $100 and most of them did'nt have it. I Checked dealer and $110 was the price with a week or two wait. So I called the machine shop got confirmed they could do it. About four hours of work and a trip to the machine shop and I was back in business.

Here is a pic of the stripped threads.

IMG_1886.jpg

I did the same thing, stripped the oil pan. I took the oil pan off, took it to a shop. They installed a heli-coil, I reinstalled the oil pan.

No leaks at all, more than 20,000miles later
thumb_up.gif

Go to the auto parts store and get a rethread oilbolt $6.00 max and your done.P.S. new nylon washer also.

The drain bolt is steel or something way harder than that molded aluminium oil pan. It is just a matter of time torque wrench or not!

The drain bold is made of a harder metal than the cast aluminium oil pan. It is just a matter of time before it happens torque wrench or not!

I have always turned the bolt in with just my fingers untill I couldn't turn it anymore, then just snug the bolt up with a small wrench, not a ratchet and socket.

I did that once cuzz I am retarded and started my drain plug with a ratchet. I ended up buying a oil pan off a salvage busa for 50 bucks and swapping them out. I got the gasket from the stealer.

Back