Stripped oil pan fixed!

warezdog

Registered
Well after findiing out the stealership had tightened my oil plug to nearly 4 times the 16lbs reccomended torque by discovering 4 complete threads of aluminum on the plug itself I decided to do the helicoil trick which so far is holding its own. Here are some pics of the play by play

IMG_2162.JPG

get the bike up so you can fit a 5/8" bit and DeWalt 18v drill under it! This was my biggest concern of the entire job

IMG_2163.JPG

Drill the hole, the pan is pretty soft aluminum so don't go at it like a wild banshee! Ya I know i tried to stuff some red RTV as well as some teflon tape around the plug to try and get buy for a couple weeks so I could do it right when I had time.

IMG_2165.JPG

Tap new hole you have plenty of room for tap so don't be to scared!

IMG_2166.JPG

Remove after about halfway to clean off tap and finish second half, this way you can check your work. and make sure tap is good

IMG_2169.JPG

Clean hole and run some oil thru to make sure no shavings are in the pan i then used a degreaser to clean the insert and the hole

IMG_2176.JPG

Install helicoil after applying a liberal amount of red locktite, tap with took a few times to expand the nurls then wait 24 hours!

Will test tonight with a long ride and see how she holds!

Last edited:
my version is a little diff.

1 go to dealer who overtightened
2 hand them invoice for new oil pan, crush washer, oil, pan gasket and labor.
3 have dealer write a check to the other dealer who will be performing the work.
4 never go back to that dealer again.:whistle:

It will hold.I have used Heli coils before.I used one on my 89 Pobe GT turbo. I had a stripped out sparkplug hole from the previos owner.I found it on the way to a weding.I fixxed it and drove the car for 5 years without and problems.:thumbsup:

I don't think I'd dare drill out the plug with the oil pan on the bike? You can never get all the shavings out without cleaning it from the inside!

Fear of this is why I went ahead and drilled a hole in my drain plug for safety wire. Also drilled a hole in that part of the pan that hangs down on the front side to fasten the plug. I then just tighten it enough to keep it from leaking without worrying about it falling out. This is one of the few (maybe the only) weak spots on a busa. On my first busa I was right on the verge of stripping the thing.

pack the flutes of the bit and tap with grease.. it will help catch shavings and junk

Back