Stripped Oil Drain Plug Metal Shavings a Problem?

Dancallun

Registered
Hi everyone, new to the forum and need some advice about and oil change I did. Mine is a 2011 16k miles, just got it 3 weeks ago from a small dealer/mechanic. Did the oil change with Motul racing oil and when I put the drain plug back in it felt like it was already stripped, it was also pretty difficult to get it out in the first place. I don't really know how to replace pans or use Helicoils so I just did a quick fix w teflon tape and a rubber and metal washer (It was missing the washer too) until I learn how to permanently fix it right. It still had some resistance going in and it's not leaking, but my concern is the broken off threads getting in the oil pan. When I noticed the pan was stripped I got a new plug, put teflon tape and washer on, and swapped the plugs without draining all the oil. Oil flowed out for only a few seconds when swapping plugs but some of the stripped threads came out in the small amount of oil. Should I be concerned about small thread pieces still in my oil pan? Should I run some more oil though or flush it? Also I hear a slight knocking noise now after also putting in Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner before I changed the oil. Thanks everyone.

Should I run some more oil though or flush it? Also I hear a slight knocking noise now after also putting in Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner before I changed the oil. Thanks everyone.

:welcome: to the site.
I would have that pan in the garbage already.
Yes,flush it out. The slight knocking noise is tuff to figure out without more data.
When you say Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner tell me you did not put that in the oil?
The metal frags will mostly perhaps not be a problem. The oil pick-up which hangs down into the pan has a metal screen on it...some refer to as a "sock" you should be OK there.
The knock: Some members have taken to posting us a video. Perhaps move the microphone around the motor from place to place so we can hear. Its the best diagnosis we can give across the internet.
If affordable...get to a good tech NOW.
Me,I would shi7 can that pan.(you have dozens of oil changes in your future)
You may even find a drag racer on here who has a stocker on the shelf for sale or give away.
2. If you put injector cleaner in your oil,dump the oil now. You can put it beside the pan.
3. Good tech...or video soon.
*Don't run the motor till you have dumped the contaminated oil (if thats what has happened) *
Rubb.

:welcome: to the site.
I would have that pan in the garbage already.
Yes,flush it out. The slight knocking noise is

Thank you for the quick reply. No I definitely put the injector cleaner in the fuel tank and not the oil lol, I only mentioned it as a possible factor. I was planning on putting in a helicoil on my next oil change but it actually looks like the pan itself has a very slight leak so I'm going to likely replace it like you suggested. I found a good tech but he's expensive, wants almost $500 to do fork seals. I also have a 2004 cbr1000rr I got for real cheap which I plan on using as a project bike and learning a few stunts practicing turns etc so I don't have to hurt my Busa which I love so much already. Will be on the lookout for a good tech too if I get in a pinch. Just wanted to get this thing back on the road right now because I don't want 2 bikes in the garage and no riding :( Thank you again for the reply, I have been reading posts here for a while before joining and you guys are all really helpful here, hope to be a help here as well in the future.

Cool. We have DIY walkthru's for everything. If its not on here,the problem does not exist. If something "new" is found,we'll make it.(walkthru) :thumbsup:
Rubb.

If you found it stripped after someone else worked on it. I would have immediately got in touch with ghem
I would too but I got this from a dealer. Unfortunately this is my first experience w a dealer they turn out to be likely a bit shady and I doubt they will help, I'll have to find out what I can do wiith the 50/50 30 day warranty.

Oil flowed out for only a few seconds when swapping plugs but some of the stripped threads came out in the small amount of oil. Should I be concerned about small thread pieces still in my oil pan?

No not really. As Rubb told you, there's a screen that prevents any large particles from circulating to the engine from the oil pan. After the screen, there's your oil filter that will catch any small particles.

You will want to clean that screen off someday. Probably convenient when you remove the damaged oil pan.

I banged some gear dogs real hard on my ZX-14 a couple times and found chunks of steel stuck to my drain plug magnet for several oil changes afterward. I doubt you could flush every last chunk out even if you wanted to.

Also I hear a slight knocking noise now after also putting in Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner before I changed the oil.

I hope it's just paranoia induced by the traumma of stipped drain plug threads. I get that way with a new bike. I doubt the fuel injector cleaner would do that. I still don't know what they mean by knocking or pinging when it's predetonation. I've been told you probably won't even hear that. I can't hear sh!z in this one.

If you here a light tapping, mine does that too. There was a recall for clutch spring bolts coming loose and hitting the insside of the cover. Easy fix, don't bring it to a shop for that. I never checked my clutch spring bolts yet. It just ticks softly at idle, almost unnoticeable. The clutch bolts would probably be a real noticeable tapping noise.

2. If you put injector cleaner in your oil,dump the oil now. You can put it beside the pan.

:laugh: Glad you didn't put it in the oil! BTW I use Seafoam a lot and they do suggest use in oil for storage....don't know if I'd do that for one season, maybe mothballs. Definitely dump the oil before I rode the bike and hope there was no damage to the clutch fibers.

If you found it stripped after someone else worked on it. I would have immediately got in touch with ghem

Good luck on that one. Get in touch and tell them you're never going back there.

Back