Stripped Oil Drain Hole

Dr Geekenstein

Registered
Can hardly believe that I did it. Changing my oil this morning and when putting the drain plug back in, cross threaded it and stripped the threads (alum female internal threads) out. Called around for a 15 MM plug and they don't exist. The stock one is 14 MM thread. Anyone been through this before and what is best fix other than a new oil pan ? Pep Boys carries an oversize 14 MM which is tapered and that is what I will be doing for the interim fix.

Thanks and a Happy 4th of July to all !

that sucks bro, it is easy to fix it.
you have to reuse your old drain plug, just go to car quest & ask for the helicoil repair kit, they run around 25$
on the box it should tell you wich drill bit size you have to use to drill the drain plug hole on the oil pan
drill your oil pan.
with the tap included in the kit, tap your oil pan
put some grease on the tap so all the metal shaving stays on the tap
after you finshed making the new threads, you need thread locker to apply on the new insert that you have to screw it on the oil pan with the plastic tool include in the kit.
get the new threads flush to the outside part of the pan.
let it sit for an hour so the thread locker will dry
but some new fluid in the engine while your drain plug is out, so you can get out any metal shaving got in the pan while drilling & tapping
now reuse your old bolt back
sounds easy
biggrin.gif

hope that helps, here is a link of what you need
http://www.cartools.com/Merchan....Code=KM

damn i just had this problem too.. somebody that did the oil change b4 screwed it up and gerry rigged it.. i didnt know this until i did my own oil change and saw all the crap on the threads... we searched hi and lo for an oversize plug also but couldnt find one.. curious where the other guy found it and what size... we couldnt find a helicoil on a sunday anywhere that would work.. the shops aorund wouldnt sell us the stuff we needed. soooo we used a perma plug which is like a helicoil. we did the research and a new oil pan from ron ayers is only 105.00 so i think im gonna go that route.. my headers need to come off anyhow to get rewrapped with header wrap... i guess its pretty common that shops screw them up to since they have fix its for it.

If you have a Parts America (like autozone) in your area they carry every drain plug you can imagine from standard sizes to 2X oversize.  They are located next to the oil filters.

If the oversize plug works and your torque wrench clicks (you guys do use a torque wrench right?) there should be no need for a new oil pan.

You may also want to pick up a standard plug too and try that first.  Sometimes looking at the threads can be deceiving...that metal in-between the threads may just be the plugs threads collapsed and mooshed over on themselves.

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089007902 -->

laugh.gif

thats some funny sh%t!!!
I did that when i got my first dirtbike (i was 12).
i was changing the oild and stripped the bolt. my dad got so pissed he said he isnt fixing it cause i dont deserve to ride it. lol.
you know what i did???
never changed the oil agian
laugh.gif

i just kept adding
and every once in awhile i would tip it over and (almost upside down) and drain some of it and add more new. lol

funny as hell, i didnt think any one could do that but me.

laugh.gif

The $2.69 oversize 14MM plug worked this time, going to a 16MM plug next time, will have to tip her over to drill/tap the new size. Took her on a ride today to test the oversize fitting, and she is holding so far ! Thanks for all the responses and help offers !

Peace

moved to maintenance, so it will be easier to find next time.

Back