Stripped drain plug

Jayhawk

Registered
Sorry to ask my cousins this question, but perhaps the two bikes share enough mechanically for it to be relevant.

Took my B-King in today to have the 600-mile service done, and the dealer called and said they goofed and stripped the drain plug. He's overnighting me a new oil pan, but I won't get the bike back now until Tuesday. (Of course, it happened on a Friday afternoon.)

Does anyone have an idea how much disassembly of the bike is required to replace the pan? The fewer fingers messing with my bike, the better...and I'd hate to have major surgery performed because of their goof.

Thanks for anything you can provide.

Tom

Since the B-King is naked, I would think you would just have to drop the exhaust. I could have been worse, they could have put an oversize plug in it and never said a word. Maybe some B-king owners can chime in. Glad they are fixing it though.
beerchug.gif

Sorry to ask my cousins this question, but perhaps the two bikes share enough mechanically for it to be relevant.

Took my B-King in today to have the 600-mile service done, and the dealer called and said they goofed and stripped the drain plug.  He's overnighting me a new oil pan, but I won't get the bike back now until Tuesday.  (Of course, it happened on a Friday afternoon.)

Does anyone have an idea how much disassembly of the bike is required to replace the pan?  The fewer fingers messing with my bike, the better...and I'd hate to have major surgery performed because of their goof.

Thanks for anything you can provide.

Tom
hey cuz, shouldnt be too bad for the dealer to do, remove fairings(fogot "naked bike", skip this step) ,remove exhaust system, and wa-law,....remove and replace oil pan.

Another of a thousand reasons I and many like me never, ever, take our bikes to the dealer for service! DO IT YOURSELF! If for nothing else, peace of mind knowing that it's done RIGHT!

Sounds like this guy at the shop did the same thing a friend did... be fast and use an air impact and next thing ya know the threads are gone!!!

Shouldn't be too hard, probably have to drop the exhaust, then its just an unbolt and bolt the new one on.
That's the trouble with aluminum threads, all too easy to strip. If (and I also would advise you do) do it yourself in the future, get yourself a GOOD quality (Craftsman, etc..) 3/8 drive, inch lb torque wrench. $80-$100 tool that is priceless on all kinds of small fasteners.

Thanks for the info, and the advice. I'm definitely going to do the oil changes between normal service intervals, at a minimum.

One thing definitely diminishing my desire to break out the tools:

planoweather.jpg

That was the forecast for this week. And, my garage faces west.
pissed.gif

Don't worry Jayhawk you are not alone. I can look out my window and see the Plano/Dallas invisible line. I need to do a little work on my bike but its soooo dang hot.

If you don't mind me asking which shop did you take it to that stripped it?

Plano Kawasaki Suzuki?

Either way at least its getting fixed right and not half a$$ed.

Don't worry Jayhawk you are not alone.  I can look out my window and see the Plano/Dallas invisible line.   I need to do a little work on my bike but its soooo dang hot.

If you don't mind me asking which shop did you take it to that stripped it?

Plano Kawasaki Suzuki?

Either way at least its getting fixed right and not half a$$ed.
Nah, it wasn't the Plano guys, and I'd rather not say which one.  Despite his goof this time, I really, really like the service guy where I took it.  He's been great in all previous dealings with him.  He's really taking his mistake personally, and he manned up and called me, apologizing profusely.

Another sad part to the story.  I was doubly looking forward to getting my bike back, as he was installing Yoshi slips, Power Commander, and fender eliminator for me.  So, all those goodies are just sitting there waiting for me....  
banghead.gif

Another of a thousand reasons I and many like me never, ever, take our bikes to the dealer for service! DO IT YOURSELF! If for nothing else, peace of mind knowing that it's done RIGHT!
+1
another horror story of no expereince 18 years old working at dealer and we trust that they will do take care of us!
make sure inspect the bike good after they have done with. you want to make sure they put all the bolt and screws back!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back