Stripped drain plug

outjustout

Registered
Arrg. The fun of owning a used bike has finally set in . I spent most of this week looking for and fixing an oil leak. Turned out to ba a simple fix, just the plug that goes in the cover over the crank.

Now my next problem, while changing oil I found out the drain plug was stripped. I am planning on buying a new oil pan but would like to wait until this fall when I plan on taking the bike apart for painting and a pipe to replace it.

Any ideas for a short term fix? Anyone have a used oil pan for a '99?

Thanks!

Buy a replacement plug first and try it. Use a biggr teflon washer (thincker) sometimes this will take care of it. if that des not work try a self tapping plug one that has a drain on it.

You could weld and re-tap, use a heli-coil, use rtv (if not real large), or you could go here and buy a fix..........Time-Sert

Buy a replacement plug first and try it.  Use a biggr teflon washer (thincker) sometimes this will take care of it.  if that des not work try a self tapping plug one that has a drain on it.
Any idea where I can get a self tapping plug? The other ain't working. Even after wrapping the threads woth teflon
sad.gif
Oh, thanks for the ideas.

PepBoys sell drain plugs that are self tapping and 1mm over size. Get one of those but you have to be careful. You can crack the oilpan.

Thanks folks. I ended up using a double oversize 1/2 drain plug. Seems to be holding. Now to see what happens the next time I have to change oil. Again thanks!
beerchug.gif

Back