Stripped allen bolt

crazy_mooh

Registered
What's the easy way to open this bolt???

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

An easy out, and some heat from a torch!

If you have access to one, Irwin Hanson has a 35 piece screw extractor set that will remove just about any broken or stripped bolt!

111409_0802[00].jpg

drill the head off with a good drill bit.....remove that plate then grab what is left with a real set of vise-grips.

Should probably soak it with penetrating oil overnight before trying to remove it, That head didnt strip for no reason.

damaged fastener removal is a skill. the more you do the better that you get. patience is an absolute virtue here as it is possible to really booger up your workpiece.

all of the above answers are valid. i usually use an air hammer with a really sharp point, then put pressure on the edge in a counter-clockwise motion. my air hammer has a variable trigger(read as expensive! LOL), so that i am not beating my work to death!

sometimes you can get damaged allen bolts free using a hand impact driver, and a slightly over sized allen socket.

good luck, and take it slow.

easy out or drill extractor is your best bet, but if you dont want to spend the coin soak it in penatrating oil over night,, give it a few light taps with a ball peen hammer to loosen up what ever corosion is in there, and try and hammer a torx bit into the stripped allen bolt, the metal where its stripped will be soft and a few light taps will put the torx bit in and you can screw or it out. my two cents

If ever you have an allen wrench that isn't gripping the fastener very well and is starting to slip, dip the tip of the allen wrench in valve lapping compound and try again.....give great additional "grab" -also works on standard and phillips screws.

impact screwdriver and baby sledge hammer = hit and twist should come loose second hit

I had one that stripped and I took a star tip that was bigger and tapped it in. After a few tries it came out. If you have a welder and it's not an aluminum bolt, you can tac weld a small bolt to the head and get it out. Or like said above, you can get an extractor tool.

Get the next largest allen wrench. Tap it in the hole with a hammer. It will stuff it in there and then you will be able to get it out.

"Well either try to use a dremel and cut a slot into it so you can use a large flathead screwdriver to take it out"

with a lil WD-40 help, i've gotten myself outta alot of hell holes with this procedure

I had one that stripped and I took a star tip that was bigger and tapped it in. After a few tries it came out. If you have a welder and it's not an aluminum bolt, you can tac weld a small bolt to the head and get it out. Or like said above, you can get an extractor tool.

Great idea !!!:thumbsup:

Back