Stretched guys - Do you get squirly at high speeds or hard braking w/ street tires?

Lucid

Registered
I've had a Shinko stealth on there since I lowered and stretched it, but cycle gear had a deal about a month ago that was $199 for a set of Diablos. I figure 'why not?' so I bought an extra rim and have a "street" rear and a "drag" rear tire. (I can finally get a hookup now)

Anyway, with the shinko, the bike was steady as a rock at WOT no matter the speed, no matter the braking. But with these diablos on, if I go over about 120 the back end starts to dance. And if I brake hard from just about any speed, the back end dances more. NOT a good feeling, especially when you're at 120, then brake because it's getting squirly and it gets MORE squirly.

anyone else have this? They've got about 300-400+ miles on them so they should be sufficiently worn in. I even did a couple seconds of burnout to hopefully flatten the rear out just a bit, but it made no difference. On a positive note, the thing FALLS into corners now without me having to FORCE the whole bike with my whole body, which is really nice, and it's steady in corners.

Is this just something we have to deal with having stretched bikes? Maybe playing with the suspension would help since it's setup more for drag, but I didn't have this problem with the Shinko on and they were the same settings (though it was a flatter profile tire...) :banghead:

Re: Stretched guys - Do you get squirly at high speeds or hard braking w/ street tire

Nope my bike smooth no matter what speed. Have the shop check to see if that wheel is balanced correctly since it is not doing it with your other wheel.

Shot in the dark here....check the tire pressure. Almost sounds like the tire is over inflated.

from my dunce stool via tapatalk

Re: Stretched guys - Do you get squirly at high speeds or hard braking w/ street tire

Nope my bike smooth no matter what speed. Have the shop check to see if that wheel is balanced correctly since it is not doing it with your other wheel.

+1, smooth sailing.

Mine is steady and smooth.Had it up to 170 and no issues.Check tire pressure.

I saw new weights on there so I trusted that the balance was good. But I'll take it back up there and verify. (or maybe even a different shop just to be sure)

I thought pressure at first too but I'm right at 33psi cold. (max is 42) I may drop it down a bit to reach 32-33 warm, who knows. Just sucks not being confident under hard braking because late hard braking on a big is one of my favorite things to do. My buddies on 1ks are shocked.

Good to know you guys are steady and solid. Now I know I need to look into it more.

I havent had any issues with my stretch. I do get a squirly when I gun it in first and second gear. At first I thought it was the clutch slipping, but then I seen I was just breaking loose.

Never had an issue

4.5" stretched here and never a problem.

IMG_1968.jpg

No stretch for me but what about alignment? Sounds like you do a lot of tire/rim changes maybe you need to get a shop to do an alignment.

I should have mentioned that I'm 9in over, with the ability to go 10.

Define "dances"

When you say it happens under braking how are you braking? Front brake/Rear brake?

When you start losing your rear wheel stability are there any unusual vibrations?

I would scrutinize the rear wheel, definetly check to make sure you have the right hardware back there.

Never had any problems but I've always had Shinkos on since I stretched . Done many high speed runs best so far was 201.4 and smooth

Same here been stretched +6" for last 3 riding seasons, have used Avon and Bridgestone tires and never had any stability issues. Normally run 36 psi in front and 38 psi in rear. Long highway trips will bump up tire pressure 2-3 psi per tire depending on how loaded my Busa is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I have an Avon 300 & stretched 4+ it's all smooth here. The shop by me doesn't even balance rear tires oddly enough. You may want to pull off those weights.

I battled a bit of hopping and bouncing at high speed in the rear end of mine when i went 4 over...

Came down to two things... dialing in my rear suspension a little better (i changed the rear shock and spring as part of my build).... and secondly.... the shinko was out of balance with the lead weights and a few thousand miles on it...the shinko was dead and ready to be changed anyhow...

Instead of putting lead weights back on, i put on fresh rubber and dynabeads... havent had a problem since...

I'm in the true believer camp when it comes to dyna beads....

Update. No problem anymore. Put the bike up and the wheel had a bout 1mm of play. I shook my head, knowing the problem instantly. Looked at my other wheel and, like a noob, I see a spacer sitting there that is supposed to be on the bike lol. ??? Here I was blaming the tires! Thanks for the input everyone.

Yea, these bikes don't have too many "spare" parts. So if you work on your bike and find spare parts you need to find the solution of where they use to be installed.

Holy Crap man!!! you ae lucky as hell you didnt go down without the spacer in there. Thats a lot of play when ya strt getting moving decent like that.

Back