Stretched Busa Question

BusaPebbles

Registered
I have my bike lowered (short girl symdrom), not stretched. I have always had challenges leaning my Busa in the turns; she is definately NOT a Ducati. My question is, how much harder is the Busa to lean when it is stretched? Do you have to "muscle" the bike more?

I've never ridden a stretched Busa, but I have heard more than a few of the gang here say it does affect cornering, especially if you like riding in the mountains, tight turns often, etc...

Vanessa, do you use counter-steering to corner? It helps take the muscle out of leaning the Busa...

I've never ridden a stretched Busa, but I have heard more than a few of the gang here say it does affect cornering, especially if you like riding in the mountains, tight turns often, etc...

Vanessa, do you use counter-steering to corner? It helps take the muscle out of leaning the Busa...

Yeah, I do. Warbird (Tim) has really given me alot of great advice on cornering, so it is getting easier. I still use a whole lot of muscle when I am cornering, especially if it is windy.

I have a friend here at work that wants to stretch his Busa, and he can't corner at all right now(he previously owned a ninja). I just think it is a bad idea for him, but maybe I am wrong.

I wouldn't stretch one unless you can truly handle it or are taking it to the drag strip, but that's just my take on it...

I don't find that I muscle the Busa in corners too much unless it's the Dragon and that's just because it's an intense road, I'm focused, tense...I tire quickly LOL

Counter-steering has really helped me learn to corner better...it should continue to get better for you, and you'll find you're not as worn out...also, it helps to keep your knees close to the tank, relax some...you may just need a bit more seat time to feel like the Busa isn't a land yacht :laugh: I went from a Harley to the Busa, so I wouldn't know what other sport bikes feel like...I'm sure what you had was more nimble...

I wouldn't stretch one unless you can truly handle it or are taking it to the drag strip, but that's just my take on it...

I don't find that I muscle the Busa in corners too much unless it's the Dragon and that's just because it's an intense road, I'm focused, tense...I tire quickly LOL

Counter-steering has really helped me learn to corner better...it should continue to get better for you, and you'll find you're not as worn out...also, it helps to keep your knees close to the tank, relax some...you may just need a bit more seat time to feel like the Busa isn't a land yacht :laugh: I went from a Harley to the Busa, so I wouldn't know what other sport bikes feel like...I'm sure what you had was more nimble...

I definately need more seat time. I have only owned her for a year and a few months. I definately have learned alot here. I had bad form, and I am truly working on that. I definately need to relax. I am extremely tense when I ride. I will get to your level VA...just need more training...:bowdown:

Think of it this way, take a small compact car and turn, then take a big quad cab truck and turn. The shorter wheel base car will turn alot quicker and in less space than the long wheel base truck. If that makes sense. I have been wanting tto stretch mine also, but have been told many times that if you like playing in the twisties not to do it. Not saying it can't be done once you get used to it again. Corners you take at one spped with it stock length may have to be taken at a slower speed once stretched. Now if you only go say 3-4", you may not notice much of a difference. I had my 750 Ninja 4 over and still cornered like a dream, but was also a lighter bike. Hope I can find some answers for me in this thread also as I am looking to go 3-4 over. Just enough to bring the back of the tire even with the edge of the tail light. But, I do like playing in the twisties, so it's still up in the air for me.

I definately need more seat time. I have only owned her for a year and a few months. I definately have learned alot here. I had bad form, and I am truly working on that. I definately need to relax. I am extremely tense when I ride. I will get to your level VA...just need more training...:bowdown:

My level :rofl: Aim higher Vanessa, you can do better LOL

I do know exactly how you feel though...you know what cures it? A long road trip, forced seat time in varying scenarios...let's go! :thumbsup:

There is another way to look at it. I used to own an eclipse GSX turbo. That car was a pain when making tight turns, but a dream on twisty roads. Currently I own a jeep, which makes very easy tight turns, but will flip over on twisty roads if I go to fast. Does the lower center of gravity on the stretched and lowered Busa make a difference?

My level :rofl: Aim higher Vanessa, you can do better LOL

I do know exactly how you feel though...you know what cures it? A long road trip, forced seat time in varying scenarios...let's go! :thumbsup:

As long as it isn't in NJ....I did that this month already...they are crazy..

There is another way to look at it. I used to own an eclipse GSX turbo. That car was a pain when making tight turns, but a dream on twisty roads. Currently I own a jeep, which makes very easy tight turns, but will flip over on twisty roads if I go to fast. Does the lower center of gravity on the stretched and lowered Busa make a difference?

I think the center of gravity on the Busa is absolutely amazing compared to my Harley :laugh: but compared to your other sport bike, I'm honestly not sure...

i've had several stretched bikes and my busa now is stretched with a 240, yes it does make it harder to corner in the curves, you dont really have to muscle it more just lean more in a curve than a stock busa. it also depends on how much you stretch it. hope this helps some.

My stretch is very minor 2” over stock length compared to the usual 4-8” most others do. I can tell a difference in how it turns. More so on the tight technical stuff, but I can tell it on the more open higher speed turns as well.

the stretch will affect it....i had 6-7 over on mine but was still having a blast in the turns. I thought it was a happy median for turns and top end runs. Unless you are riding drag style turns or tracking the bike i say the stretch is fine for all types of riding. It will still turn but with just takes a little more effort

lower center of gravity is not necessarily good... that is why hypermotards handle so well. Centralized mass is good however.

Ride a friends zx6 and youll realize overall weight, wheelbase and unsprung mass all have their hand in making a bike handle a certain way.

The hay bus has the best balance and is really the best all around bike out there.

Stretched 6 1/2" Here,

I did mine just after I got the bike and before I did any twisties so I really have nothing to compare it to. But I think she still does good. Lots of fun in Eureka.

:rulez:

post-13-40248-useless.jpg

If you are not spending your weekends at the drag strip, I'd never recommend stretching a bike. You loose much of those suspension characteristics that so much engineering went into in order to make it ride and handle like a sportbike should.

A stretched bike adds no performance benifits but does create some handicaps.

One thing I would recommend. Spend one day at the track with an instructor. You'll come away with a ton of information to process and you'll be a better rider for the time spent. You will also have a closer relationship with your bike.

Stretched 6 1/2" Here,

I did mine just after I got the bike and before I did any twisties so I really have nothing to compare it to. But I think she still does good. Lots of fun in Eureka.

I'm pretty sure the first time you chased me down the pig trail was before the extensions.

One thing I would recommend. Spend one day at the track with an instructor. You'll come away with a ton of information to process and you'll be a better rider for the time spent. You will also have a closer relationship with your bike.

Yep. Sounds like time for you to get some track time in.

Back