StreetShark's Hayabusa

My bike is slower on 520 18/42 than it was on 530 18/40. Someone explain this to me.

I have another 40t on the way now for the 520 chain to test out...
When u say slower do you mean top speed ? I know that going up 2 in the rear gets rid of a little top end because that's what I did. Maybe the 520 being a smaller pitch so maybe the overall shorter length is acting the same as changing the gearing but not sure on that. I know we talked about you using the 520 and you said you know lots of people on high hp bike running them and while I am one who believes that tensile strength is what matters I did find it intriguing that while watching a Moore mafia video the other day on a gen 3 he brought up chains and said he would be ok with a 525 but wouldn't suggest a 520 on a stock gen3.

When u say slower do you mean top speed ? I know that going up 2 in the rear gets rid of a little top end because that's what I did. Maybe the 520 being a smaller pitch so maybe the overall shorter length is acting the same as changing the gearing but not sure on that. I know we talked about you using the 520 and you said you know lots of people on high hp bike running them and while I am one who believes that tensile strength is what matters I did find it intriguing that while watching a Moore mafia video the other day on a gen 3 he brought up chains and said he would be ok with a 525 but wouldn't suggest a 520 on a stock gen3.
No what I meant was acceleration. My bike was considerably slower both 60-130 and 100-150.

Testing a double sided cover design

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

That looks very nice. Curious if you gain anything with double side disc. How do you like your gas tank? How much weight did you save with that? I’m debating on buying tank shell with a 2 gallon fuel cell. But I feel like I lose the real street bike credit.

Had a thought while trying to figure out what made my bike slower and I realized that the gas that was in it was from a different gas station that what I normally run. This new gas was from a pump that has a single filler hose for 87/88/91. My normal gas station uses 3 separate hoses for the different fuel types. I decided to go back to my 40t sprocket already, and did not see the change I expected. I drained the fuel and put my normal fuel in and now I’m right back on track. Actually just ran my fastest half mile pass by a hair after fuel. Now I’m going to go back to trying the other gearing again and see what happens.

That looks very nice. Curious if you gain anything with double side disc. How do you like your gas tank? How much weight did you save with that? I’m debating on buying tank shell with a 2 gallon fuel cell. But I feel like I lose the real street bike credit.
Iirc the tank saved like 15-16lbs. I do not ride the bike on the street ever anymore unless it’s being raced. So if you’re someone who actually like to cruise then it’s probably not for you. Maybe a cut tank would be a better choice, or a larger fiberglass tank.

Unit 5 clamp finally showed up. I’m actually quite surprised it isn’t lighter… To be fair, my OEM clamp was lightened by removing the ignition switch section and adding holes to the center but still…. The clamp paired with Vortex clip ons really only dropped 4.5oz… It is WAY more attractive than just using the OEM clamp with clip ons though.

In case anyone did not know this, the Vortex clip ons are not a good option for us. The clamp/bolts for the bars facing upwards means that that area has too much material to allow the reservoirs to sit correctly. My levers are facing downward and just will not work. I have a set of Bonamici clip ons on the way to replace these.

9FD3526C-9987-4224-941C-4EE3D968C198.jpeg

81295311-8D2A-461F-B22C-C825B943FA43.jpeg

D9272110-BAE8-4FED-A612-3CE3A641B063.jpeg

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning! I have been eyeing up the unit 5 top clamp for some time now. My busa project of got de railed due to life but its all good. It is nice to see these parts installed with high quality pictures, I now know this is the top clamp for me. I still haven't gotten around to installing the carbon tank bracket I got from you but they weren't lying, top notch quality!

Unit 5 clamp finally showed up. I’m actually quite surprised it isn’t lighter… To be fair, my OEM clamp was lightened by removing the ignition switch section and adding holes to the center but still…. The clamp paired with Vortex clip ons really only dropped 4.5oz… It is WAY more attractive than just using the OEM clamp with clip ons though.

In case anyone did not know this, the Vortex clip ons are not a good option for us. The clamp/bolts for the bars facing upwards means that that area has too much material to allow the reservoirs to sit correctly. My levers are facing downward and just will not work. I have a set of Bonamici clip ons on the way to replace these.

View attachment 1654575

View attachment 1654576

View attachment 1654577
If u do the whole setup... complete triples trees. ignition bracket and bars... it saves around 5 pounds over stock. ALSO included in the package is the unit 5 Nut... And a montgomery CF tank weighs around 5 pounds.. a stock tank weighs 14/15. I did find a custom CF fabricator to build me a true CF 5 gallon tank tho........ but im not sharing that fabricators info right now. Its still in the works. Fabricator is in italy. Joint project.

292261385_1015055305865532_856034241847192278_n.jpg

295999690_760806345091285_3792059218951838041_n.png

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning! I have been eyeing up the unit 5 top clamp for some time now. My busa project of got de railed due to life but its all good. It is nice to see these parts installed with high quality pictures, I now know this is the top clamp for me. I still haven't gotten around to installing the carbon tank bracket I got from you but they weren't lying, top notch quality!
And I wouldn’t even call these high quality photos. I almost didn’t even post them since they were phone pics haha. I’m really happy with the look and quality of the clamp.

If u do the whole setup... complete triples trees. ignition bracket and bars... it saves around 5 pounds over stock. ALSO included in the package is the unit 5 Nut... And a montgomery CF tank weighs around 5 pounds.. a stock tank weighs 14/15. I did find a custom CF fabricator to build me a true CF 5 gallon tank tho........ but im not sharing that fabricators info right now. Its still in the works. Fabricator is in italy. Joint project.

This is what I’ve heard. So I suppose I’m going to get that lower one on my list for the future. Montgomery tank was actually more like 6.5 for me iirc.

When it comes to this upper clamp, I’m comparing it against my pair of upper clamps that have already been modified so that’s why I said to be fair to Unit 5, my numbers are a little skewed and not what the average customer is going to see. I had previously deleted the ignition switch and cut the bracket off, as well as add holes to the lower clamp while I was waiting for his to come in. So I unfortunately do not know the exact weight savings I saw. I’m only surprised at the fact that compared to two full size clamps it’s not much lighter. I should have compared weight for lower vs lower, and upper vs clip ons. That way I know where that weight is

This is what I’ve heard. So I suppose I’m going to get that lower one on my list for the future. Montgomery tank was actually more like 6.5 for me iirc.

When it comes to this upper clamp, I’m comparing it against my pair of upper clamps that have already been modified so that’s why I said to be fair to Unit 5, my numbers are a little skewed and not what the average customer is going to see. I had previously deleted the ignition switch and cut the bracket off, as well as add holes to the lower clamp while I was waiting for his to come in. So I unfortunately do not know the exact weight savings I saw. I’m only surprised at the fact that compared to two full size clamps it’s not much lighter. I should have compared weight for lower vs lower, and upper vs clip ons. That way I know where that weight is
BUT... the triple stalk in the middle of the triple clamp that connects everything is made of titanium and the nuts and bolts are titanium or alloy... the real weight savings is that middle connecting stalk... i think anyway. its comically light in your hands. u can communicate directly with him here.. he writes back. Для просмотра нужно войти или зарегистрироваться.. i paid almost 1000 bucks for the whole setup and shipping from canada... not bad for 5 pounds weight loss.

Last edited:
BUT... the triple stalk in the middle of the triple clamp that connects everything is made of titanium and the nuts and bolts are titanium or alloy... the real weight savings is that middle connecting stalk... i think anyway. its comically light in your hands. u can communicate directly with him here.. he writes back. Для просмотра нужно войти или зарегистрироваться.. i paid almost 1000 bucks for the whole setup and shipping from canada... not bad for 5 pounds weight loss.
I actually have direct communication with him as well. I ordered my clamp directly from him because his stuff is generally sold through a shop that we mutually will not do business with each other…

I actually have direct communication with him as well. I ordered my clamp directly from him because his stuff is generally sold through a shop that we mutually will not do business with each other…
im just surprised u didnt get the whole she-bang.... i half thought he was exaggerating about the weight loss... but when i got it in my hands... its crazy how light it is. Im in the process of doing the big ticket items on a high HP turbo bike.. wheels were done/ brakes were done (brembo nikel plated gp4rx calipers/ DME subframe/the triples/ Ti axles/ light rotors/ and a custom fabbed CF 5 gallon tank that is a long ass project to have done and coated. 11 or 12 thousand bucks disappears quickly.... just vanished from my checking account. I actually have to try to hide these expenses because i cant even justify this stuff to my wife. Even when i rehearse in my head how im gonna TRY to justify these things, it sounds ridiculous even in my own head. I dont even race this bike or have any plans to. I just feel its my obligation to take it as far as i can. I cant justify it.

Last edited:
Back