StreetShark's Hayabusa

I actually found that supersprox has their own chain but I believe they confused me well when I was looking at the weight compared to the rk chain they usually offer. It looked like the rk was quite a bit heavier but I believe they listed it in lbs. And their own chain in metric as I don't see how a chain could weigh half as much and have the tensile strength it had listed.

Interesting. I don’t really know much about supersprox as far as their chains go. I had one of their sprockets on my GSX-R and thought it was high quality. I don’t know how those numbers are achieved. I know of a couple big motor busas running the 520zvx3 and haven’t reported issues so I’m trusting those guys’ experience.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer for a titanium clutch push rod?

2EA5F912-C392-4996-850C-09C656A7C1BB.jpeg

So I guess I'm going to be offering the piece from my last post. Nobody offers it and apparently the rusty rod has caused issues for other guys over the years. Instead of adding tubes or seals or whatever else, I'm going to make these from titanium.

I have some material on the way.

Let me know if this interests you...

So I guess I'm going to be offering the piece from my last post. Nobody offers it and apparently the rusty rod has caused issues for other guys over the years. Instead of adding tubes or seals or whatever else, I'm going to make these from titanium.

I have some material on the way.

Let me know if this interests you...
Seems like a piece that @ROADTOAD1340 might be interested in. I would like to have one just to have but I've done nothing for any weight loss on myself or the bike so unfortunately not much point for me. I do have a buddy making a 3d scan of an 18 tooth front sprocket that he's trying to see if he'll be able to machine out of titanium for me but not sure if his shop has a machine that can cut the splines properly yet.

Seems like a piece that @ROADTOAD1340 might be interested in. I would like to have one just to have but I've done nothing for any weight loss on myself or the bike so unfortunately not much point for me. I do have a buddy making a 3d scan of an 18 tooth front sprocket that he's trying to see if he'll be able to machine out of titanium for me but not sure if his shop has a machine that can cut the splines properly yet.
I’m not necessarily doing this for weight loss alone. That’s definitely a plus to it. I was in the middle of my 520 conversion and took that rod out to wipe it down and noticed how rusty it was. I thought we’ll this can’t be good for the seal…

I did some searching online and asking around to see if it was available in titanium to avoid the rusting issue in the future, rather than just buying another steel rod. It seems nobody offers one, and what I was finding is that people have come up with various solutions to avoid this issue over the years. One guy had a large rubber seal that was sandwiched between the sprocket cover and the motor. Another had a metal flange that was bolted on that had a tube that covered up the rod. My idea is why add extra parts and complexity when you can just remake the rod out of a better material to start?

First things first, it’s about preventative maintenance, and the added benefit is that it will be lighter as well which I’m all about.

@StreetShark I take it the pushrod is dry, ergo not in oil? How long does it take for significant corrosion to occur? What kind of maintenance interval would you recommend for me to present to my tech? Is it cleanable or doomed to a faster failure after the initial corrosion?

Be a simple thing to make out of stainless as well I figure....the weight gain would be insignificant and the cost much less.

@StreetShark I take it the pushrod is dry, ergo not in oil? How long does it take for significant corrosion to occur? What kind of maintenance interval would you recommend for me to present to my tech? Is it cleanable or doomed to a faster failure after the initial corrosion?
It’s dry-ish…. So that rod gets pushed by the slave, into another rod that rides through the center of the clutch basket and into the pressure plate on the opposite side. So it’s not like oil is directly behind that seal but a rusty rod can ruin the seal and oil will work it’s way out.

As far as service intervals I really have no idea. My bike has 17,xxx miles on it and I am just now addressing this. I’m just addressing a problem that I see with what I would consider an improvement instead of an equivalent replacement.

You know what I’m about by now haha. I get weird over little details like that.
I am used to you weight loss nuts....Bryan ( @c10 ) fits that bill along with a few others...

Even I myself was about to start on a journey to replace my bodywork with CF but decided against it as our riding season is so short, what does it really matter how light my bike is while it is in winter storage.

I am used to you weight loss nuts....Bryan ( @c10 ) fits that bill along with a few others...

Even I myself was about to start on a journey to replace my bodywork with CF but decided against it as our riding season is so short, what does it really matter how light my bike is while it is in winter storage.
Yeah I understand that. Even I’m not really into the full carbon bodywork honestly

Some new things...

I've already mentioned the clutch rod. Here we have the OEM rod (I don't think I need to tell you which one that is), and my titanium replacement.

IMG_0335.jpg

This piece isn't going to rust out, and an added benefit is the weight loss

IMG_8402.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

While I was working on this project I also thought, why not make a replacement for the front sprocket spacer?

So here is my replacement for that piece, machined from 7075 aluminum

IMG_0331.jpg

This piece drops some decent weight

IMG_8394.JPG

IMG_8395.JPG

And here is my entire weight savings from working on the front sprocket

IMG_8397.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

Some new things...

I've already mentioned the clutch rod. Here we have the OEM rod (I don't think I need to tell you which one that is), and my titanium replacement.

View attachment 1652993

This piece isn't going to rust out, and an added benefit is the weight loss

View attachment 1652994

View attachment 1652995

While I was working on this project I also thought, why not make a replacement for the front sprocket spacer?

So here is my replacement for that piece, machined from 7075 aluminum

View attachment 1652996

This piece drops some decent weight

View attachment 1652997

View attachment 1652998

And here is my entire weight savings from working on the front sprocket

View attachment 1652999

View attachment 1653000
Love the push rod. Put me in the list pls. :D

Got the 520 conversion all done

After all was said and done, I lost just about 2 lbs of rotating weight. I'm not sure what chains the other guys are running when they say they lost 5 lbs.

You can also see my 7075 spacer and Ti clutch rod in this photo

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

I'm actually really digging the all silver look.

I did a bit more random cleanup this morning while I was at the bike and lost an extra half pound of wiring/connectors/hardware.

Back