street/strip feasible hp

Kevin Jones

Registered
At what point does power become unusable at the track with a bike +8? I was having this conversation with someone last night and we were talking clutches and launches and how our 60 ft problems were killing us. But really, is our wheelbase length the main issue? We both like to ride our bikes and have a passenger. Is over 320 hp for even a boost controlled bike usable on a street/strip bike at the track? I understand with roll ons it really isnt an issue. We can see the TRC ultra and how it can capably handle 400+ hp in the vid against the cars but the track isnt the same. I dont know what I am really asking but I think that I had some expectations that I will not be able to apply with my chassis.

It's all boost control, shock, and clutch set up on the strip. Prostreet guys are putting down well over 600hp. Yes they have 2 in more swing arm then you and the ride is down in to the chassis more. I've ridden bikes at the strip with 450whp on a untouched frame. Just remeber if it was easy to go fast, everyone would be. Testing testing testing and more testing to get the most out of your set up with your abilities.

From a roll I've used over 500 before. That's all boost control and shock.

True, I never used any boost control. Because of that, I cannot have a concept of what the capabilities of that can do for you. I just know that when anybody asked me at the track what I was doing for BC, I said "nothing" and every single one of them rolled their eyes or asked me HTF I handled it. They all had some sort of progressive nitrous or the turbo guys had some sort of boost control, every single one of them. Therefore, logic says without it, you are in the wrong.

I did a 14psi spring for the last year I owned my shop bike. I also had another 140 pounds on me then, so it was easier to keep the front end down.

With an 8in stretch you should have much of a problem leaving hard with 250hp. With a stock motor, and that low of boost the power isn't as peaky as a lowered compression bike with more boost. Like I've said before, clutch, and shock set up is key. Don't need to ramp in boost with 8psi.

I definitely fell for the get what you pay for with the shock. I wont make that mistake again. "Really good deals" are few and far between. Such as the quick access clutch cover that I got for $150 and it blew off and sprayed the lane with oil. Nice weld job. You truly do get what you pay for with racing.

I definitely fell for the get what you pay for with the shock. I wont make that mistake again. "Really good deals" are few and far between. Such as the quick access clutch cover that I got for $150 and it blew off and sprayed the lane with oil. Nice weld job. You truly do get what you pay for with racing.

Hmm, sounds like a velocity quick access cover. Those aren't welded, they're glued.

At what point does power become unusable at the track with a bike +8? I was having this conversation with someone last night and we were talking clutches and launches and how our 60 ft problems were killing us. But really, is our wheelbase length the main issue? We both like to ride our bikes and have a passenger. Is over 320 hp for even a boost controlled bike usable on a street/strip bike at the track? I understand with roll ons it really isnt an issue. We can see the TRC ultra and how it can capably handle 400+ hp in the vid against the cars but the track isnt the same. I dont know what I am really asking but I think that I had some expectations that I will not be able to apply with my chassis.

Rob is right, but I will take it one step further and tell you that even though chassis, shock and boost control are important, the most important factor is the rider. Consider this: a Mirock Real Street Gen 1 turbo Busa, stock wheelbase, HAND clutch (no lockup), no secondaries making an RPH more than 325 rear wheel going consistent 8.0's at over 180 mph, and several 7.80's under his belt as well. The rider's technique is more influential than the actual hp. I have had many customers wanting more rear wheel, thinking they would go faster. If they just learned how to ride (and eat one less cheeseburger!), they would go quicker and faster with what they have. I had another customer who DIDN'T want his turbo bike set up for max hp until he learned the bike. He was going consistent 8.30's @ 170+ with only 290 rear wheel on a total street bike that wasn't even slammed. That bike was four over with a single stage lockup. He was so consistent he was riding the bike to the track, bracket racing and riding home with his backpack on. IMHO, before you look to turn it up, practice a lot until you are convinced you are doing the best with what you have . . . :laugh:

Frank and Rob have basically laid it out for ya. I'm in on this too. I was running 12lbs of boost this summer on an +8" setup with a stock clutch, and no boost control. I actually ended up dropping boost down to 10lbs as I was still trying to figure out the clutch properly and get some decent 60's out of it. I ran faster at 10lbs than I did at 12bls (except mph), and I'm sure I could run as fast as I did with 8lbs once I figure out the stock clutch and launched it properly. Don't get me wrong though, even at 10lbs of boost, you can get yourself in serious trouble when it does hook up at +8". I had a very close call this year at the track and just about went over backwards. So in my opinion, you can run any amount of HP you want, but it is up to the rider to make it "rideable". Lots of goodies will make it easier to run faster at the track, boost control, multistage lockup, etc, but there are also draw backs to running all of those items.
At the end of the day, you really have to look at what you wan to do with the bike. As for being "unstable", that comes with many variables, road surface temp, tire, map that you're running at the time (lazy map or max power), ambient temp, shock setup... So it's tough to define.

Thanks guys. ColdBusa I had a close call too with the extensions at 3 or 4" back when I first started trying to launch. Full vertical and came down so hard the header hit the fan and broke the fan.

since ur planning on going with an AMS 1000 I wud not do a large spring. do a 4-6 lb spring so the BC can actually control boost. with the setup ur currently putting together ull be making about 320 hp or so at 14 lbs of boost so u can surely use boost control at those power levels.

I just had customer recently come in for some upgrades and after I tuned the bike and told him the power gains he asked "now how fast do you think it will go?" My response was how fast can you ride it?

In all reality he had enough to do bottom 9s before the upgrades, but stock gen 2s were running over him at the track. Practice practice practice!!

No, I am totally with you. I could out 60' my bike all day when it was stock. I wish I could practice more. I live in the racing capital of the US, Daytona, and there isnt a drag strip for 70 miles in either direction. WTH is wrong with these people? Dont they realize that the glamour of NASCAR is overrated? Lol. Why wouldnt they want to trade the apple pie and ethical nature of NASCAR icons for grudge racing, gambling, illegal activity and that crowd?

Kevin u mean driving round and round in circles for hours doesn't sound exciting to you? can't imagine why....:whistle: can't stand nascar its so lame!

No, I am totally with you. I could out 60' my bike all day when it was stock. I wish I could practice more. I live in the racing capital of the US, Daytona, and there isnt a drag strip for 70 miles in either direction. WTH is wrong with these people? Dont they realize that the glamour of NASCAR is overrated? Lol. Why wouldnt they want to trade the apple pie and ethical nature of NASCAR icons for grudge racing, gambling, illegal activity and that crowd?

We get that and the bike week/biketoberfest guys who do not know how to ride. And they drink sooo much! Actually V Twins drive this town. There are 5 nationally known tuners and builders here that I know of. Think you can find a tuner who can even flash or tune a NA busa on a dyno here? Think again. Orlando, Titusville, or Jax for that. Actually there are more turbo tuners here in FL than I knew about when I went to Dobrin's. Walter is the best but he is damn busy man. Hard to get it lined up for him. Somebody posted that WPB has Gadson's shop dyno tuning 1 stop speed. No idea who is running that or if they can touch a turbo. Richard referred me to Blais Cycle in Dania Beach, I talked to him, that cat knows his stuff.

Back