Street comfortable performance upgrades

Hello, ladies (maybe) and gentlemen.
Bording post here and sorry to ask noob questions, but hey, I am a noob.

Just got my hands on a second hand 2003 'busa. It has minor mods already done to it. All really aesthetically aimed more that performance. Does have a Yoshimura Exhaust fitted.

My question.
I was wondering what modifications/alterations you would recommend to start off with.
Cant drop a ton of cash but in the realms of $2000 or $3000 dollars wouldn't hurt.

Was thinking about Mag wheels but that would be my budget done for a while. Would an enhanced ECU be a better way to go? Really not sure, very new to biking (only been riding around a year or so). Engine size cannot be altered (Living in Japan, and laws forbid it) but polishing and replacement parts are ok, as long as they meet the emission laws(i will looking into any mods before carrying out so not to worry) but engine capacity cannot be increased.

The other option would be to upgrade the suspension or brakes. But a set of brembos cost the same as Mag wheels, so who should I give my money to, the computer guy, the wheel guy, the engine guy, or the brakes guy?

So if I am going to buy something, which do you guys (& girls) think would give me a better bike for my buck.

1 Mag wheels
2 New brakes
3 New front forks
4 Upgraded ECU + tuning?
5 Engine overhaul type upgrade (valves and polishing)

:tiptoe:

IMAG3648_zps7c7e0da2.jpg

IMAG3649_zps5c58b321.jpg

IMAG3650_zps88f7eb12.jpg

All I can say 4 now is stay tuned....:stirpot:

Gotta wait till its all back 2gether and dialed in. I'll let the dyno sheets speak 4 themselves! Expect a lot More pics 2come

Well I got my busa back and she's running like a champ!! There is a lot to cover but I figured I'd post up some pics 1st :beerchug:

The Engine was built and tuned by Steve Knecum of Knecum Performance Engines
Record-Setting Motorcycle Racing Engines | Knecum Performance Engines

I can't say enough good things about Steve and all he did for me and my bike :bowdown:

Here's the particulars....

Carpenter Head port & polish
Hvy Dty valve springs
APE Adj. Cam tensioner
Yoshimura Stg. 1 racing cams
CP High Compression Pistons 12:8:1
Carillo Rods
ARP main studs bolts etc.
Cylinder Millennium Nickel plated
Oil mods
Crank balanced/ counter balancer removed
New bearings
Under cut tranny
Hvy Dty output shaft
Engine Case saver
Brocks starter pin
Hvy Dty billet shift shafts

Sure I'm forgetting some things but I'm sure you get the idea.... :laugh:

For chits and giggles I had Steve add a nitrous kit to this. Used an under hump 2lb bottle setup and a 45 shot controlled by a Micro storm progressive 2stage controller. The setup is very stealthy and discreet which is exactly what I was looking for :whistle: I'm not looking to break any HP records with this setup obviously. I just wanted performance that was streetable and 225HP on tap will certainly get the job done!

Fuel:
Bazzaz Fuel Programmer
Bosch 69420 in tank fuel pump
Billet Fuel rail
S2000 injectors (cleaned & flow tested)

I also went with Steve's recommendation, I wanted stainless fuel lines but he showed me a sheathed fuel line that was just as durable but more flexible and looks super trick! :thumbsup: so now my fuel system is rock solid and there will be no worries about rubber hoses drying, splitting, cracking, leaking etc.

Clutch:
RPM single stage lockup
MTC Billet inner
Billet clutch basket
New zuk clutch pack

Chasis:

Got a great deal on a used OPP carbon fiber upper and tail. I just couldn't resist! :laugh: Looks amazing when the sun hits that CF weave. The guy I bought it from had the Punisher decals on it and I just left em on. They look pretty good on there and ive gotten a lot of compliments so they'll stay 4now.

CF frame covers

I wanted to try a 6inch stretch but I wasn't sure if I'd like and I didn't want 2 spend a 1k+ on an arm I may or may not like. Luckily a forum member posted up a nice used Thompson +6 swingarm for a great price! So the money I saved I was able 2 buy a chain guard, tire hugger, SuperSprox sprocket, and ZZZ chain.

The chain guard and hugger weren't plug n play and I really didn't have an alternative cause Thompsons doesn't sell those items for the swingarm I bought. Steve Knecum was able 2 fab it up and make it work. Looks great and so far so good on the +6 arm. I got new Dunlop Q3's on so I'm still breaking em in but I'm able to still ride and turn pretty much the same. I have to approach turns a Lil different but I think i'll be getting rid of them chicken strips in no time :laugh:

Odds & Ends:

I have an Airtech race lower for my busa but I have to get it trimmed to fit the aftermarket swingarm and ext. Clutch cover on my bike. So I'd figured I'd mention that if your wondering why my busa doesn't have any pants on in the pics :laugh:

I also bought Airtech 1peice dash fairings and oversized ram air tubes. Steve said those dash fairings were a pain in the azz to install :rofl: but boy do they look great!!! Especially with how Steve mounted my electronic Autometer nitrous gauge in the dash fairing, super trick :cool:

Macintosh triple tree (courtesy of a forum member :beerchug:
Renthal Clip on handle bars

PMR Drag tether kill switch (Steve had 1 in his shop and when I brought up I wanted one he just reached in a locker and tossed it to me!!) :bowdown:

I'm sure there's stuff I forgot seeing as how I pretty much did a complete overhaul on my busa. I'm very pleased with the results! :thumbsup:

My busa had around 15k miles when I did the rebuild. I ran it stock and with a PC3/tune. It runs and sounds like a completely different bike now!! There's no clunkiness shifting or hesitation when I crack the throttle. Everything is just sooo smooth :whistle: runs smooth shifts smooth etc. Steve did 1 helluva job on this tune!!

Can't really say it was 1 thing or another seeing as how I had so much done @ once but it came 2gether very nicely. Steve rewired pretty much my whole bike and put in the high output stator and rectifier. Now when I crank it's instantaneous, the bike fires right up. It's little things like that I notice.... my bike fired up fine before but now there's not a split second of pause/ hesitation. It feels and runs like a brand new bike!

Took my bike to work and couldn't resist putting it on the scale :laugh:

Full tank of gas, topped off fluids and a 2lbs nitrous bottle my busa tipped the scales @ 510 lbs.

Not bad @ all IMO.... I know there's a ton of busa's out there lighter but she feels pretty good and handles well even with a +6 swingarm. I've got a few more things I can do because I'd like to get it under 500 lbs.

Back