Street comfortable performance upgrades

1busa

Registered
I have a Gen1 busa and im finally venturing into the motorwork side of my bike so before i shoot myself in the foot or spend a ton of $$$ for no reason i would really appreciate your input and advice. I want to know what is the best performance set up for a Gen1 that will enable me to hold my own against a hostile zx-14 or an overconfident Gen2 on the street? I dont plan on drag racing this bike and want to continue to be able to carve up canyons and hang with the smaller bikes. I have upgraded my braking system and my suspension will be done this winter. I have also been shedding alot of unwanted pounds on my busa and i plan on continuing the diet. I would just like to have the motor and HP necessary to keep up with these newer bikes without compromising the overall riding style i have now. From what i read and gathered Intake cam swap, Port and polish, and a Gen 2 crank would be a good start. I was thinking about going turbo but im not sure i need or want 250HP all the time. Somebody recommended a 20 shot of nitorous under hump set up for those zx-14 emergencies :laugh: I kinda liked that idea, stealthy and discreet but i have zero knowledge of nitrous either. Either way i go.......turbo or nitrous that is going to require me to set my engine up a certain way. When i rebuild my engine i want to be able to get some longevity out of it as well. I dont want to have continually tweak or have to replace parts all the time. The last thing i want is to start ordering parts and find out i need to go in a different direction.:banghead: I would greatly appreciate you ideas and feedback so i can properly map out this engine and do it the right way the 1st time. Thanks :bowdown:

1.all engine, go with a 1441 kit or something like it.
2. 40+shot of nitrous (can be done for $300 or so)
3. intake cam, port polish, Gen 2 Crank, RAce lightended, high volume oil pump gear, extra flutting on crank?, remove count balancer.

small turbo 7 or 8 psi of boost your bike will last forever will give you around 240 hp or so ...if you wanted to do internal motor work I would go with a 1441 kit should put you around 200 hp or you could just take the 4K or so you would spend in mods and trade your bike for a GenII or maybe wait a couple years and wait and for a Gen III

See I was 1st looking into big bore kits and such but almost everyone said it was cheaper and more reliable to run turbo. Said the bigger engines get way too hot and don't last as long. I appreciate the tip on the high volume oil pump:thumbsup:

Yes I know that it would be cheaper to buy a gen2 or hold out till the 3's come out but I've invested a lot of time, $$$, and effort in2 this Busa and its got a ton of history and sentimental value.

Well given the mods you already have, you might get away with cams and pistons, other than a pipe or small NOS shot very cheap for around or just over 200 ponies. Do the search.

I've done some reading and I don't want 2 just slap on a turbo or a bottle of nos. I know that each requires certain types of pistons and or other mods to get the most out of it and your engine. I don't mind spending more $$ on a Nos setup if I can get the optimal performance

You stated you weren't going drag racing, and wanted to hang in the corners. Look into cams and pistons.

Ok I will do some research on the best cam setup. If I do run a small 20 dry shot of nos would I be wise to run nitrous pistons? Don't plan on using it a lot if I did go nitrous

Ok I will do some research on the best cam setup. If I do run a small 20 dry shot of nos would I be wise to run nitrous pistons? Don't plan on using it a lot if I did go nitrous

PM gixerhp or another mechanic. Even a small 20 dry shot requires a MAP as far as I know to save the motor. I've heard you have to add a lot of fuel and do some other things. There's more to it than meets the eye from what I've heard but I'm not a mechanic or tuner, so get up with one to find out what the deal is. I'm thinking you would be running two Maps but I could be wrong.

Pls do a search on pistons and cams. It use to be the cheapest way to 200 RWHP. It's very reliable, and a very smooth delivery of power.

listen to dadpfthree! nitrous DOES need more besides the bottle and tubing...it also needs a map tune, an setup or run off ECU editor to turn on nitrous. tune will run $300....

300$-500$ kit+extra goodies+tank fill+MAP tune=adds up! to about the same as some mild engine work! and you have to have the tank refilled...hope there is a refill station by you

personally for me it would be Engine work, Second would be Supercharger!..i perfer to keep extra parts on the bike to a minimum! engine work is the cheapest choice though! you can get a whole kit from APE "APE's STAGE ONE ENGINE KIT $3319.21 - $4364.21" and perhaps cheaper if you make your own kit!

for easy power.....
head port and polish, perhaps better valves while in there
new pistons
have your crank lightended balanced and counterbalance gear removed or a gen 2 Haybausazone - Crankshafts
2 intake cams
a GOOD ECU tUNE!

(side note...new injectors might be needed not overly sure...)

Thanks for the advice I will definitely do my homework. I've been to that APE site, very nice:thumbsup:

I doubt I would go the supercharger route, heard too many good things about RCC stage 1 turbos. I'm gonna get some of these motor upgrades 1st but know I'm gonna end up with that or Nos :laugh:

yea if you go NOS be way your compression cant be super high and use pump gas....

also know that the 1441 will be a huge power boost and with the addition of the lightened crank and no counter balance gear you should notice your bike being smoother and reving quicker!

I'm pretty much sold on cams, gen 2 crank, port n polish, and ECU tune. That much 4 sure, not really interested in the 1441 big bore. Heard too many negative things about them as a everyday driver, the heat, 2 batteries, etc. I'll get these 1st and continue to research and see if turbo or nitrous is the right choice 4 me

I've got bolt ons (listed below) and a 40 shot one my Gen 1. It holds its own very well against Gen 2's and ZX-14's. When I run my Busa on nitrous, I average about 1 to 1.5 tenths quicker in the 1/8 than when I run my ZX-14 on motor. Both bikes are set up pretty much the same other than the 14 has no N20. Granted, if I was spraying the 14 it would be a different story, but I figured this would be a good comparison for you to go by since in most cases it comes down to rider weather your on a Gen 1, Gen 2 or 14, and I can't think of anymore eaqual riders than the same person being on both bikes :thumbsup:

Yeah but i am talking about a set up for street riding and it looks like you are referring to drag racing. I think a 40 shot is too much for what im looking for, 20 shot at best. Thanks anyways thoough

I have been doing alot of research the last few days and heard alot of great advice. This the setup I think im gonna go with, please let me know what you think. Thanks:bowdown:
1. Intake cam swap exhaust side with APE adjustable sprockets
2. Port and polish cylinder head along with a valve job with Heavy duty valve springs
3. 08 crank swap, i plan on keeping the stock 81mm bore. That would put me at 1340cc displacement, hopefully it will provide a little more reliablility than the 1397 stroker kit while increasing overall HP and performance.
4. Send the 08 crank to APE to get lightened, balanced, and removal of the counter balancer gear removed and light weight replacement shaft added.
5. High volume oil pump gear
6. Carpenter Power Scoops
7. Brocks CT Megaphone Titanium Full Exhaust 17"
8. ECU flash and custom map/ dyno tuning done
9. Considering adding a small 20 shot of nitrous with and underhump set up but i need to do more research on the proper way to set it up along with the right brands and components. I dont plan on spraying alot just in case something bigger and nastier than me is pulling away on a highway

Lamb would love to have that latest post's setup. Streetable and reliable and FAST!

Dont bother with the nitrous though. Way too much hassle for the 2 seconds of pull on the STREET! We are talking the street rememeber.

Back