Street-able Turbo info wanted

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I've decided I have to have a turbo Busa. Thing is I dont want something that will be on the lift more than it is on the street. So I'm asking for the input of those who have owned or currently own/ride STREETABLE turbo's. Yes I want more power,but I'm willing to give up horses for reliabilty.

Ulitimately I'd love to build my own,but without access to a reasonably priced dyno,this will be difficult... I'm guessing.

Open to any and all ideas. I could just buy an already done one,I could just buy the motor and set-up,I have little knowledge about turbo's,but am a fast learner.

Thoughts and idea's most welcome.

Burnin' Rubbah.

I can build you a beauty and I have dyno readily available..I have a bike here too, imagine that...Cool Part Is I Can Deliver It To You And Visit When Maintenance Is Due :rofl::laugh:

The key to longevity is to build it for it's intended use. If you want a strong turbo, no strip just to eat up the street and not trying to landspeed or run it out in the back country woods for miles. A mint gen 1 or 2 bike with a good stock motor and a PROPERLY INSTALLED AND TUNED KIT will last you forever...

IMAG0035.jpg

Here are a couple of really good people from up in your neck of the woods(Jody and Trillium from Nickelcityracing in Sudbury,wherever that is:laugh:)selling their Gen I with an RCC Stage 1 kit and a lot of other good stuff,price is now down to $9200(hell,just a Stage 1 kit itself installed and tuned would be at least $5500+ itself).
The link below will give you all the build info.,etc;
Login

Here are a couple of really good people from up in your neck of the woods(Jody and Trillium from Nickelcityracing in Sudbury,wherever that is:laugh:)selling their Gen I with an RCC Stage 1 kit and a lot of other good stuff,price is now down to $9200(hell,just a Stage 1 kit itself installed and tuned would be at least $5500+ itself).
The link below will give you all the build info.,etc;
Login

Thanks Bro. Sudbury is a ways away. Its like 5 provinces over. BUT,I am excited to get something going. Thanks,

RSD.

canada.jpg

It would be like driving from Washington state to Ill state. Qwik return trip on a T-Busa thou....:whistle:

Barring ticket stops and such...:laugh:

Rubb.

We can supply any RCC Turbo Kit Available Also.... ??? Did you sell the Harley?

We can supply any RCC Turbo Kit Available Also.... ??? Did you sell the Harley?

Nope. I think I'm gonna go ahead with one anyway. I'd have to get the cash from a joint account thou...

SSSHHHH....I hear the House Mouse headed this way..............:hide:

OOps....to late............. HOUSE MOUSE:spank:Rubb

RSD.

Hey, RSD, so mine is a complete sleeper. One can't tell if not for a small boost gauge, and a turbo instead of the oil cooler - both visiable on close inspection only. Mine is Hahn Stage 1 kit, with full exhaust, tuned for reliability, 240 HP @ 9psi max - on Gen 1 '06 bike. I feel the key is to talk to the shop who will be doing the install because there are so many things to consider. For once, Gen 1 can sustain more boost with less mods. I was glad I was clever enough to talk to Frank from Power House PRIOR to getting the bike. If I had a Gen2 bike, it would cost me more to purchase the bike, and I could get no more than 220 HP.

There are a number of things that need to be done to handle the turbo while preserving reliability. For example, oil pump/coolant gear replaced for more aggressive pumping, thermostat gutted to allow more coolant to pass, airbox completely replaced (that was part of the kit) along with something (forgot the term) to hold it in place so it doesn't come off due to boost pressure. Not sure, but I think the clutch springs were replaced with heavier springs, Power Commander 5 was added because it has a 64-bit processor and allows for finer tuning. I am sure I missed a few things.

So, overall impression: you got your stock bike with the only difference that when you open her up she still got the power. Cruise casually, and you won't know it's a turbo. Engine braking after closing the throttle is very noticeable - this takes some getting used to, therefor closing the throttle gently is the key. Taking turns with steady throttle is no different from stock.

There is one important point I wanted to make which is true for a stock bike, but becomes even more significant for a street turbo bike. I always had this problem, even with the stock bike, that during aggressive acceleration I was sliding back. No matter how I tried to solve this - by installing tank grips, squeezing the tank with my thights, etc. - it only got the job done half way. Inevitably, I was trying to hold on to handlebars, thus creating an unwanted steering input. When you go over a slight elevation on the road at 70, you don't notice it. When you do it at twice the speed, the same spot on the road becomes a bump and the front gets light for a moment. Having an unwanted steering input at this moment may lead to dire consequences - a headshake at best, or a tankslapper at worst. While I still had a stock bike, I made and installed a 4" pad at the back of the seat. The results were amazing! During any acceleration, my entire body was relaxed and my hands could stay relaxed, assuring the absence of any unwanted steering input on the handlebars. I do not overstate when I say that this was an eye opening experience, and I was beating myself up for not doing it earlier and suffering through years of riding. Keep in mind that I am not a tall person - 5'7". So, for a taller person, only a couple of inches pad may be needed. But it made a huge difference in my riding - in how relaxed I could stay on the bike during the hardest acceleration.

The search for a built one,or the build process should begin next week. Interested buyer has dropped a 500 dollar deposit on my bike,says he wants to do a lien check first. ???

Look at that face in my banner,is that not the mug of a trustworthy dude.:laugh:

RSD.

Streetable turbo - keep it at 8# of boost max for stage 1 and even down to 7# is another option for insurance if you can only get 91 octane gas in your area.

Add a BOV to the plenum. When I ordered my RCC kit from Richard in Canada I had it added by him before it left his shop.
IMG_0006.jpg

Buy a quality kit like a RCC stage 1 and you can install it yourself at home like I did years ago.
range005.jpg

Dayummmmm, I just realized the date on those pics are from 2009. Wow. :laugh:

Back