Strap vs cut forks

New_busaowner

Registered
I was thinking about cutting my forks but will it cause issues while riding on the street or should i just get a strap kit?

Any time you reduce fork travel you change handling. It's a trade off. For a bike that sees street miles a strap is the way to go. Gives you full travel as long as you remember to loosen it.

If it’s more of a street bike then strap it. If it’s more of a drag bike cut them.

you can ride cut forks on the street just depends how much you have them shortened.Also if you cut them you still need a strap. The strap is what holds the forks compressed and you want that so weight transfer is easier to control

My plan is to go to the drag strip
I'm not a fan of strapping. But a lot of guys are. I would strap long before cutting the forks. And spend a lot of time somewhere learning how launch. Feather the clutch out as you bring on the power. Getting that down is much more important then anything you do to the front end of the bike.

I'm not a fan of strapping. But a lot of guys are. I would strap long before cutting the forks. And spend a lot of time somewhere learning how launch. Feather the clutch out as you bring on the power. Getting that down is much more important then anything you do to the front end of the bike.
Limiting the amount of force the forks push up with is helpful, but you're right, practice is the key....

For drag lowering the forks is better. I used to run straps but now both bikes have 3” drop in them. No strap required now. The lowered forks, properly done reduces extension travel appropriately. I use slammers and M2.

Dennis, what year forks do you have the slammerz in? I’ve tried emailing Trac Dynamics with no response. I’m building a 2013 and was gonna strap it. My M2 should be here next week. Thanks

Dennis, what year forks do you have the slammerz in? I’ve tried emailing Trac Dynamics with no response. I’m building a 2013 and was gonna strap it. My M2 should be here next week. Thanks
They were in 2008 forks until I bent them. Not sure what year the replacement forks are, but they are the same functionally and have the Slammerz in them now. My 2013 has M2 forks.

Back