Strange gas smell comes and goes

wardie

Donating Member
Registered
Recently I parked the Busa and smelled something like gas no maybe exhaust gas (unburnt gas/fumes) coming from the clutch side radiator area. Now I was about 4 hours from home and I know not to go tearing into something that can wait so I did a little inspection. Lifted the tank and started bike. Did not see any gas leaks....that's good! I couldn't hear any exhaust gasket leaks , you know the pfftting sound. Nothing there. A couple of hours later the smell almost went away. I have only smelled faint whiffs nothing heavy since then. It is all stock including the pair valve. If it was a car I'd say it smelled like unburnt hydrocarbons...or a faulty crankcase breather. Any ideas on what to look for?

Ever notice how you can troubleshoot everyone elses problems but come your own you draw blanks. Am I alone on this one? Wardie

Have Beans for lunch? :whistle:

Just kidding.

Check the breather hose under the tank to the airbox. It may be off.
Do you still have the PAIR system on?
If not one of the block offs may be loose?
Strange one to find an answer to.
Good luck!

The vent hoses from the tank run down the right side of the frame, just behind the engine. Perhaps you were just getting some of the fumes venting off?

Yes, check vacuum and air box hoses. Have you done any mods? Removed the charcoal canister? My Busa smells of unburnt fuel after a ride, but it is not coming from the area u mentioned.

The vent hoses from the tank run down the right side of the frame, just behind the engine. Perhaps you were just getting some of the fumes venting off?

Yeah if the gas cap isn't closed properly, or the rubber is bad. the gas will go to the overflow when the bike is at an angle.

Back