Straight Pipes

taubiota

Registered
Will removing your cans and replacing them with a straight pipe hurt your busa? It sounds great but don't want to hurt it.

Ha. PLEASE post a sound file dude
laugh.gif

Do you mean pipes like the Voodoo shorties, or like the ones Hrley's have ? H311 some people are just runing open headers, don't know about harming your bike though ??

From what I've been told, I guess a straight pipe would give you the back pressure you need in order not to harm the motor. Just headers is not the best idea. What have you found as far as pipes go? I just want a little shortie that dumps out right under or just behind my foot.

You'll lose performance on the street, but it will not be too shabby at WOT.

If you go with straight pipes, you should start saving up the money for a valve job. For street use, valves invariably get burned, and/or warped, and the seats get beat up in the process. This is not a factor for a race bike, as the motor gets rebuilt on a regular basis.

IMHO, stay away from them.

Frankly, I don't want to hear open-piped 'busas on the street any more than I want to hear open-piped Harleys.

Straight pipes are for squids and attention junkies.

Blue1

Open pipes on a turbo only. You do not want to have open pipes period. Less restricting cans yes open NO.

Not a squid but I love the attention that I get on my busa. I've just turn 28,000 miles on it and I put everyone of those on it!

I'll post a video this weekend.

I like it too. It's funny though, those are Autozone specials... I think I paid $5 for the pair. With just a little baffling they'd be great. Like I said, just too loud for the street. That's coming from a guy that's built and ridden Harleys for 15 years; once in a while with straight pipes. Cops don't look at the Harley's as much as they would a Busa w/ straights. It almost sounds like a small block Chevy running open headers in person.

Not a squid but I love the attention that I get on my busa. I've just turn 28,000 miles on it and I put everyone of those on it!

actually the "straight pipes" do make you a squid... (squids like attention, good or bad)

Part of the "squid" persona (or maybe side effects) is to bring down the wrath of the pubic on sport bikers as a whole..

Only another squid wants to hear you ripping by on straight pipes, so at least you get to ride with your own kind... (sport riders are going to avoid you as they want to have fun, go fast and be ignored)

I can suffer a 10 - 15 hp loss. I'm not on the track. I have cut down midpipes with the original baffles and chrome covers.

Brock's makes the Alien Head and Street Megaphone which are very loud at higher rpm's, but have an awesome sound to them... I have the AH and love it...
cool.gif

~Attention Hungry Squid

I'm more interested in the aesthetics than the sound. I can't stand the look of the huge cans. No pun intended... I actually love the sound of silence on the Busa. Very stealthy for the amount of power. It would be nice to be able to baffle them. I don't run them because I don't know how to make baffles.

actually the "straight pipes" do make you a squid... (squids like attention, good or bad)  

Part of the "squid" persona (or maybe side effects) is to bring down the wrath of the pubic on sport bikers as a whole..

Only another squid wants to hear you ripping by on straight pipes, so at least you get to ride with your own kind... (sport riders are going to avoid you as they want to have fun, go fast and be ignored)
laugh.gif
It would be very loud.....

Back