Storage question ???

b-dub_sr

Team Edward
Registered
I did a search but didnt get a answer... More less just a bunch of debates.

I put my bike up because I had to come back overseas. I want be back home until July, all together will be about 6 months before I get back to her. Is there anything that needs to be done over the next 5 months to keep her problem free by the time I get home or that should have been done before I left.

Its in Texas, so its not freezing cold.
It has 700 mi
And I left her with practicly no gas, I ran it for about 25 mi after the light came on.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Either completely dry or a completely full tank is best. Setting for 6 months it needs an additive in the gas such ad Stabil. Especially if had is an ethanol blend. A battery tender would also be a very good idea.

Either completely dry or a completely full tank is best. Setting for 6 months it needs an additive in the gas such ad Stabil. Especially if had is an ethanol blend. A battery tender would also be a very good idea.

What about starting it up and letting it run up to temp. from time to time. Would that be sufficeint?

Basic Sta-bil doesn't counteract ethanol....get a product that is specifically designed to counteract the effects of ethanol. Eats seals, etc. alive. Would run the bike for a while to get the mix in, for the injectors, etc., then completely drain.
Keep your head down, and powder dry...
Gary Owen...HOORAH!!!

Basic Sta-bil doesn't counteract ethanol....get a product that is specifically designed to counteract the effects of ethanol. Eats seals, etc. alive. Would run the bike for a while to get the mix in, for the injectors, etc., then completely drain.
Gary Owen...HOORAH!!!

Stabil had an ethanol formula.

Drop her off with me whhile your gone. I will do the odometer mob for you.:thumbsup:

Six months? Stabil (Regular is fine, ethanol is always there, daily driving doesn't counter that fact beyond the fact it 's fresh ethanol.) and a tender for the battery, if that. I wouldn't worry about much until it sits for a year straight. Do fill up the tank though. The gas keeps the walls from rusting if condensation forms but being in Texas that's probably no issue either.

Yes Sir it is. Also add a 1 in front of the 7000.:D

Hey Brotha, I really appreciate it, You guys are really hospitable out there in TN. But I had planned on doing that mod when I got home anyway. So I think I will just wait.:laugh:

Gary Owen...HOORAH!!!

Would help but bike don't reach full charging capacity till 3000rpms

Six months? Stabil (Regular is fine, ethanol is always there, daily driving doesn't counter that fact beyond the fact it 's fresh ethanol.) and a tender for the battery, if that. I wouldn't worry about much until it sits for a year straight. Do fill up the tank though. The gas keeps the walls from rusting if condensation forms but being in Texas that's probably no issue either.

Thanks for the advice guys.....NOTED!!!!

Agreed on the full tank part, never let a fuel tank sit empty unless it is bone dry and the cap open, you need that to be completely dry or completely full. Rust will be a pain to get rid of. Also, if it was me, I would set the tire pressues to spec's and put the front and rear on stands. Add a battery tender if you have one. Also, as far as running it every now and then, I dont agree with that. If you are going to store it, store it. Starting it once a week and not riding it only hurts it in my opinion. You need to get it to operating temps, and it with it just idling, you are killing your battery.

Agreed on the full tank part, never let a fuel tank sit empty unless it is bone dry and the cap open, you need that to be completely dry or completely full. Rust will be a pain to get rid of. Also, if it was me, I would set the tire pressues to spec's and put the front and rear on stands. Add a battery tender if you have one. Also, as far as running it every now and then, I dont agree with that. If you are going to store it, store it. Starting it once a week and not riding it only hurts it in my opinion. You need to get it to operating temps, and it with it just idling, you are killing your battery.

+100, helps reduce chances that tires will develop "flat spots"

Thanks for learning me something new:laugh::thumbsup:NOTED!

Even if they dried out they'll get cover in oil again before you ride away. If concerned before you ride off sit there for a minute holding the clutch in. That'll recoat em.

I've been contracting over seas for the past 10 years and do the same thing everytime without any issues. Clean'em up,fill the tanks and add Stabil, disconnect the batteries, cover them up and that's it. Take a pic so you don't get lonely.

Back