Stock ZX14  ET ?

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so I am watching super bikes this week and Jason Britton and Ricky Gadson are running " bone stock " ZX 14's on the 1/4. However! Bikes are stretched & strapped and are loud so I see what looks like a muzzy pipe or a brock's and they are doin mid and low 9's!

So what is considered "bone stock" ? and last years early test runs were with a real stock bike and running 10's

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3155&Page=5

I don't know, but I race with a guy that ran 9.08 on his "stock" 14 a few weeks ago. Stock motor, pipe, tuning, flys out, U4 Fuel, streched, slammed, wheel. Impressive.

Thanx Rick, I am guessing " bone stock " means no internal work. I think it should say "minor mods" and " major mods " but bone stock should be straight off the show room.

IMHO
smile.gif

Usually in the drag racing world it basically means the valve covers haven’t been off of it. With the performance of the 14 and the new busa, it is very difficult to race them stock. Mine only has a pipe, pcIII, air shifter, gearing, lowered. It is extremely difficult to launch with the stock swingarm and it is 12-20 hp shy of a stock 14 or 08 busa. There is no doubt that I could add 4-6 inches to the arm and see 3-5 tenths of a reduction in ET.

Heck, look at NHRA pro stock motorcycle. Why is the word “stock’ even in there?

At least most magazines still test with “showroom stockâ€￾ bikes for comparison sakes. However it gets to a point when the extra hp can not be utilized in stock form to show the real potential.

I wanted to see that episode and was able to TIVO the rerun last night. Hope to see it tonight!

I watched that episode and was wanting to know how they were able to run those things without the Powercommander (Gadson Mentioned it in the episode) to compensate for the pro-stock style pipe hanging out the side and race gas. Teka or some other kind of removable tuning device? I was going hey wait a minute! Britten did a 1.54 60' time on one run that was pretty impressive.

But back on topic though. The term "Bone Stock" is a pretty wide open interpretation. Sort of like "Street Legal"! If it is just never having had the valve cover off (how would you know?) that still leaves a lot of room for throttle body work, clutch work, butterflies, stacks, mapping etc. Then there is the old "Showroom Stock"! All of which makes for great street racing rhetoric but gives no real inidication of real world numbers. I am waiting to see brocks 08 Busa numbers from the strip. He has been running a new one on the Dyno and posting on Dragbike.com. His stock (he said it, not me) 08 Hayabusa made 177.5hp and like 105ft/lbs the other day. That ought to translate into at least a few tenths and several MPH at the strip over a gen 1 Busa. Can't wait to see a head to head comparo.

(bigoltool @ Sep. 24 2007,12:39) I watched that episode and was wanting to know how they were able to run those things without the Powercommander (Gadson Mentioned it in the episode)  to compensate for the pro-stock style pipe hanging out the side and race gas. Teka or some other kind of removable tuning device? I was going hey wait a minute! Britten did a 1.54 60' time on one run that was pretty impressive.

But back on topic though. The term "Bone Stock" is a pretty wide open interpretation. Sort of like "Street Legal"! If it is just never having had the valve cover off (how would you know?) that still leaves a lot of room for throttle body work, clutch work, butterflies, stacks, mapping etc. Then there is the old "Showroom Stock"! All of which makes for great street racing rhetoric but gives no real inidication of real world numbers. I am waiting to see brocks 08 Busa numbers from the strip. He has been running a new one on the Dyno and posting on Dragbike.com. His stock (he said it, not me) 08 Hayabusa made 177.5hp and like 105ft/lbs the other day. That ought to translate into at least a few tenths and several MPH at the strip over a gen 1 Busa. Can't wait to see a head to head comparo.
+1
beerchug.gif

I saw the end of that episode and was also wondering what "bone stock" meant to Ricky. I appreciate Professor's explanation, but those of us who don't drag race would probably interpret "bone stock" to mean exactly that - without any modifications.

I hope to make my "bone stock" 06 into a "bone stock" 06 (with a turbo) next year.
biggrin.gif

At Gateway (St Louis) last year when the 14s were out in full force they were typically 2 tenths faster than a stock (lowered, strapped, drag tired) Busa. Didn't see so many this year.

Kawsaki has a hard on for Suzuki. They have their little race team and drag racers pumping up the product. I laugh at the idea of them talking stock, when the ZX12 was tested they did it stock out of the crate and then added mod for mod against the busa. Now they throw a bike out there with pipes and extensions in it's hair. No power commander! Thought it would'nt run right if you don't map it. I laugh at the idea the they complain when the busa gets a little special treatment. Women!
lurk.gif

to me stock means off the showroom floor, not even straps or anything that wasn't on the bike from the factory.

Back