Stock Wheelbased Brock's Bimmer goes 8 seconds..history made..

So, to summarize. It's a great bike that can turn very quick 1/4 mile times. It isn't really any more comfy than a Gixxer or R1 and in the stats dept it is wowing a lot of people but not hitting the podiums on the roadracing track. Motorcyclist gave it Bike of the Year but it didn't win the sportbike category, that went to the Aprilia. Would I love to have one if someone was giving them away? Yes. Would I rather have it than my Gen 1? No. If I am laying awake at night worrying that it might beat my Busa off the line then I will just buy a turbo and make 250 hp. Problem solved. I would be very surprised if the BMW is a contender for the top speed crown as it just doesn't seem very aero and the fairing/windscreen is very small so I don't think we have any worries in that dept. Let the BMW engineers enjoy their moment in the sun....the japanese manufacturers, as well as the other euros, have their own engineers and they are working overtime to produce another superbike contender that will make this one yesterdays news. It has always happened in the past and it will continue to happen into the future.

Not hitting the podiums because it just came out. You expect it to win before they make it?

Let me switch the order of yor last two sentences:
"(They) have their own engineers and they are working overtime to produce another superbike contender that will make this one yesterdays news. It has always happened in the past and it will continue to happen into the future.

Let the BMW engineers enjoy their moment in the sun"

Yes, it has happened. The BMW engineers made the other bike's yesterday's news. It has happened in the past and will happen in the future. Give them their due.

Apples-And-Oranges.jpg

Not hitting the podiums because it just came out. You expect it to win before they make it?

Let me switch the order of yor last two sentences:
"(They) have their own engineers and they are working overtime to produce another superbike contender that will make this one yesterdays news. It has always happened in the past and it will continue to happen into the future.

Let the BMW engineers enjoy their moment in the sun"

Yes, it has happened. The BMW engineers made the other bike's yesterday's news. It has happened in the past and will happen in the future. Give them their due.

I don't really think we are disagreeing on anything here are we? You are just moving some words around to say the same thing. I do give BMW engineers huge credit. It might have taken them a long time to enter the superbike wars but they have finally done so with a bang. My main point is that the wars have been going on since the 80's and there are new and improved-next-big-thing bikes all the time....and they always get topped by the next big thing....its just evolution of the sport. Don't forget how long the GSXR1000 dominated superbike in the AMA. When BMW starts winning some races then they can really start banging that drum but it hasn't happened yet.

i actually love the new beamer it looks good and performs great. they deserve to get alot of attention right now. i would have one in my garage if i could afford it. alongside an aprillia rsv-4 and a ducati 1098r and many bikes between 1930 and current. one of my favorite bikes of all times was on the cover of cycle world a while ago. it was a yellow r1 that was converted into a flat tracker. looked super clean and very purpose built. loved that thing.

OK, did my time and read all the post. I love the BMW and would love to have one in my garage. The one thing nobody mentioned is 2 up riding. One big advantage of the busa is it's 2 up riding. My lady is 5'6 120lbs and i would never ask her to ride on a 5x5 inch piece of foam. This is a apple to orange comparison. The BMW is wicked, 200 rwhp (with exhaust and tune) and 425lbs. Do the math, power to weight ratio, say 650 lb with a rider. Thats like a 6500 lb suv with 2000 hp! IT WOULD FLY !!!:poke:

Most of the posts in this thread are pretty irrelevant.
They are two very different beasts.
Discusing comfort and handling between them is a bit like telling a Farrari
owner he'd be better off with a van because its got more room in the back.

The original post was quarter mile times,
and really thats all they are competing at.

Something the "little" BMW does suprisingly well.

I still love mine!!! :hide: :laugh:

ride all day, can do! is it as comfy as the busa? no, can the busa turn like the s1000rr? no. I tell you the bike feels telepathic in the turns... you don't have to look into the turn, just think it, and the the bike follows your thoughts.

+1

I've got a Gen 1 and the BMW. Both are great bikes for different reasons.

I think the only way any of the jap bikes are going to get a makeover because of this is if the sales of the bmw rise to the point that it starts taking market share away from them. Otherwise there would be no financial reason to do it. and now more than ever its about money. I mean look at the busa. for the first time they skipped a year because of the economy. imo...

Back