Stock tune with header and slip ons

Shaft

Registered
Hey all.

I'm looking to do some mods soon.

Gen II.

K&N already on it as well as R77 slipons

I'm adding the Vance & Hines header.

Am I looking at a significant power loss? Loss in MPG?

No, should be the opposite. Should be a slight power gain. Not sure on the MPG. I have Yosh R77 slip ons and would like to add a header. The whole purpose for the header would be to gain some power. From what I have gathered the Vance and Hines/R77 with a tune will put out the kind of numbers you would get with say a Brocks combo. But I like the look and sound of the R77 for sure.

from what i read, you need a fuel manager (PCV) to balance out the V&H header with the yoshi R-77's. i'm in the same boat but at almost $8 bills, i have to sit back and wait a bit for that kind of coin.

I think the ideal way to get the ponies is not a fuel manager but tuning the bikes CPU. Better results are had with using the bikes computer to set up the ideal fuel, air, timing, and whatever else they they set up on the dyno. Higher and more consistant numbers are gotten with ECU Editor than a Power Commander. I do not have a tuner in my area that tunes this way so I had my ecu flashed and still have just the slip ons. One of these days I will either get a header to go with the R77's or go to a different full system and get her tuned for max HP with a tuner that uses ECU Editor.

You can certainly go the PCV and tune route. It will be a noticeable improvement. Nothing wrong with that.

Hey guys. Thanks for your input. I'm not in the market to tune the bike yet. I always wanted this header and finally found one. My idea was to tune the ecu down the road at a later date. I'd love to find a tuner in my area and get it done.
But my curiosity is what kind of negative implications would I face with a stock tune with these mods?

^ so your saying he can run v&h headers with r-77's and no fuel manager?

Why not? oh I forgot you read somewhere that you are not suppose to.:whistle:
It will not hurt anything now go back and read some more lies,so you can act like an expert.

^ live from moms basement it's j.c. I read and learn from this site as do others. My question to you was genuine because I'm in the same situation as Shaft. Your character says a lot about yourself and I won't waste my time with a keyboard jockey that pops off at people you don't know. Try helping people instead of dumping on them and you might acquire some friends.

Shaft, Frank from Powerhouse is great to work with and can head you in the right direction. I'd give him a shout as I plan on doing myself. Sorry for jacking up your thread Shaft.

I think you would be fine with the header, slip ons, and stock tune. She will breath a lot better with emissions control gone so a tune would do you good. I would say go for it and if she runs a little rough then you have the perfect excuse to invest in a tune.

Sorry to get your panties in a wad.
Point being, that if your read stuff on the internet you will most likely get bad info. Everyone is an expert.:banghead:
Now it is easier to pick up a phone and call someone who knows.
Your comment will just add BS to the internet.
I have thick skin too bad you don't .
And to answer your question
Again NO. You can even run a sidewinder.just not for LSR

I'm going to do the install regardless.. With the summer coming, it'll save my calves from getting torched again!

Hopefully by next spring I'll find a tuner in Vancouver to set her up.

^ so your saying he can run v&h headers with r-77's and no fuel manager?

Shouldn't be an issue.
I ran a stock tune on my Yosh full system from 09-12(then I got the factory computer tuned by Wheeler in Deals Gap).
The bike ran fine for those years, I did the tune more for piece of mind than anything.

You are close to a super talented tuner in Washington State. Check out Nels at 2wheeldynoworks. About a 2 hour ride for you. He can do your ECU and Power Commander V for a sweet tune. I run the V and H header with Leo Vince slip ons. I had the header and Yosh R-77 before. Just changed out for the looks. You will be very happy with the tune and your gas mileage at partial throttle "freeway droning" will be improved. Tell Nels Ziggy sent you... ( Sooke, BC, Vancouver Island )

Could you post dyno sheets ?
You are close to a super talented tuner in Washington State. Check out Nels at 2wheeldynoworks. About a 2 hour ride for you. He can do your ECU and Power Commander V for a sweet tune. I run the V and H header with Leo Vince slip ons. I had the header and Yosh R-77 before. Just changed out for the looks. You will be very happy with the tune and your gas mileage at partial throttle "freeway droning" will be improved. Tell Nels Ziggy sent you... ( Sooke, BC, Vancouver Island )

i HAD the VH header and two bros slips. power commander or not my bike was very jumpy with that header. i also didnt like the tingy thin metal sound of the header. i sent the header back due to bad fitment and gutted my cat on my stock header and couldnt be happier. the sound is now deaper but as loud as the VH was. the heat on my legs hasnt changed from stock to VH to gutted cat. if u want the header go for it but wait to install untill u can get it dyno tuned. i think the tune will help bring down the exhaust temps for you. it really helped bring the temps down on my harley. any more info PM me. glad to help if i can

Could you post dyno sheets ?

Sorry. I can't take the time right now to try to figure out how to post the dyno sheets. In my opinion it is not all that relevant to see a few extra horsepower. It is more relevant to experience the vastly improved throttle response and subsequent ride ability and lovely air/fuel ratios across the entire power band.

You could look at his website .....2wheeldynoworks.com........there will be some great info and some dyno charts to drool over.

Nels location is in Woodinville, Washington.

cheers,

ziggy

Back