Stock suspension setting ????

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I read a post yesterday that stated the stock suspension settings are for a rider that weighs 150lbs.

Can anyone verify this?

If it is true, I am going to stiffen mine up a little, I weigh about 245 or so.

TIA

Don

bump.gif
Someone knows this answer, I am not sure who tho.

Don

I don't know where my manual is, but I don't recall reading any specific weight listed around the suspension stuff. In ANY case, the Busa is too soft out of the box. I'm sure everyone that decided to adjust it, tightens it up a bit. Jinkster has a post that walks you through setting it up for YOU, or try the generic settings from Sport Rider mag

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_suspension_settings/index8.html

Thanks WWJD, I am going to start out with the "Stiff" settings out of the owners manual and then tweak it from there.

Don

Stock settings are generally set up on their half way points. What you need to do is ride the bike, note what you don't like in the ride and do changes from there. BUT, make sure you only do minor (as in one click at a time) changes or you'll get loss real quickly. And after you do the change go ride on the same road and note the change. Don't try to change the damping and compression at the same time or you'll get lose again. Just little adjustments will change the ride alot. EX: for me the stock rear was too hard so ONLY 2 clicks were needed for what I wanted.

Go Slow and you'll get there
wink.gif

Here is the thread from Jinkster on how to set up your suspension. It's involved, but worth it (or so I've read)

Read this
I have that saved on my computer at home.  Bill's settings are for extreme high performance riding.  I put 900 miles a week on my bike on the highway.  The bike feels soft and I just want to stiffen it up some, but not the extreme of Bill's settings.  

Don
Don..yes...my personal settings are set to suite my personal preferences to optimize handling...but the basics of "tuning suspension" remain the same..you start by putting both front and rear "compression & rebound" settings to their middle position...then?...

1. Select/Choose a "Laden Sag" percentage on these terms...

a. 30-35% compression of over-all suspension travel (aka "Free Sag") for extremely aggressive riding or?...

b. 35-40% compression of over-all suspension travel (free sag) for plush sport tour riding or?...

c. 40-45% compression of over-all suspension travel (free sag) for super plush touring. (albiet a tad wallowy and i really wouldn't recommend this on a busa unless prescribed by a doctor. LOL! )

then?

2. Adjust your "SPRING PRELOAD" to attain those "Laden Sag" percentages of compression..."laden sag" meaning "with you seated as you'd normally be riding on the bike"...while held straight up verticle with both feet on the pegs.

and finally?

3. Tune your "compression & rebound damping" to taste.

Don....i use a lot of "compression damping" along with my 30% spring preload settings as it aids in the reduction of "hobby-horsing"....(squating under heavy acceleration and then diving in the front under hard braking)....but the downside for all this great handling performance is having to be willing to adjust your suspension settings on the razors edge of "harsh"...as if you get things too tightly adjusted?...then you get to feel all the unpleasantness of the road...and "gett'in spiked" on the occassional overly deep potholes...in contrast?...I also use very little "Rebound Damping" as i want my springs to keep that rubber to the road and/or get it back there asap without any un-due impedance...which may not sit well with some of the plush loving touring types but does optimize my tires road contact and reduces chatter when slicing and dicing my way through the corner marbles.

One other thing I'd like to express here is this..yes..stock suspension that is tweaked into high state of handling performance may come at the price of a "Less Plush" ride however...high performance suspension equals great handling...and "great handling" not only wins races but...also?..it can save lives...and "that" is why I always opt and prefer "High Performance Suspension Settings"...even when just riding the streets...sometimes?..especially "The Streets" LOL!

But?.,..just follow the sag setting instructions (run about 35-38%...that would be tight yet smooth enough for ya) and tone down the damping a bit (go a few more clicks out than i did) and experiment a little...and i'm sure you'll find "Pre-Load & Damping" settings to accomodate you...and one other thing?...the clicks on your damper settings ARE NOT EQUALLY GRADUATED...in other words?...you'll get way more "LESS" damping affect by adjusting clicks #1-4 than you will adjusting clicks#6-10...if that makes sense to you..as the lions share of "damping ADJUSTABILITY" is located withing the first few clicks "OUT".

Have fun and....L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back