Stock rims weight

the only downside is when the front bearings get worn and you ride in the rain, you get moisture sloshing around within the hollow void.
all depends about what bearings are you using. I'm using ceramic bearings in both of my wheels with no deficiencies noted at this time.

all depends about what bearings are you using. I'm using ceramic bearings in both of my wheels with no deficiencies noted at this time.
my ceramic bearings were free with the wheels and wore out, admittingly after 14,000 miles

i just use good quality high speed running top japanese brands Koyo etc $20 / pair
just swap them out every year

It's amazing what lighter wheels and tires do for how a vehicle handles, my winter tires and rims are very heavy for my Ram, it handles like a sports car(:)) when I put my summer rims on...
For every pound lighter a wheel weighs its sorta like losing 7 lbs of the vehicles weight.

One day I am out with my buddies and some new guys and one guy has a Gen 2 with those lightweight BST carbon fiber wheels on it. We chatted on the side of the road and I decided to ask him if I could ride his Gen 2and determine if I could feel the difference. He said, yeah, if I can ride your Gen 1... ok I said. So... when he came back with mine I took off with his and threw it around a little on the twisties where we had stopped. ( Highway 74 by Idyllwild )

I could not tell the difference... and I really thought I would feel the difference... so... for $3500 I am not sure it would be money well spent.

I could barely tell the difference on my 1100 when I put the aluminum PM Chicane rims on it. But adding the fox twin clicker to the rear and raising it up an inch made a huge difference.

For every pound lighter a wheel weighs its sorta like losing 7 lbs of the vehicles weight.

One day I am out with my buddies and some new guys and one guy has a Gen 2 with those lightweight BST carbon fiber wheels on it. We chatted on the side of the road and I decided to ask him if I could ride his Gen 2and determine if I could feel the difference. He said, yeah, if I can ride your Gen 1... ok I said. So... when he came back with mine I took off with his and threw it around a little on the twisties where we had stopped. ( Highway 74 by Idyllwild )

I could not tell the difference... and I really thought I would feel the difference... so... for $3500 I am not sure it would be money well spent.
This is exactly want I don’t want to get, a small difference.

The CF rims that I like are 5000 euro (my cost, as I won’t pay the VAT) which is half a new motorcycle.

For that amount, I really want a big difference.

I changed to BST Diamond Tek on my 2008 Busa and saved a lille more then 4.800 grams on the two wheels. Ca. 2 kg. front and 3 kg. rear.
If you come from a steel rear sprocket and with the wheel change, change that to a hard anodized aluminium sprocket you shave of ca. another kg. on top of that.
They are expensive, but they completely transform your handling, and is more then worth every penny.
Your stearing comes alive and even though I had already shaved of 50 kg. the BST change alone, made my Busa feel 30 kg. more lighter on a twisted road.

8FBD7E75-CF86-4FBC-85EF-2738343BB5F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Ps. How much you feel the difference depend completely on how hard you drive. It is when you drive hard or when you find your self in a corner with to much speed, that the difference become immence. If your stearing become to much alive for your taste with them, you just change your stearing damper to a proper one, that you can give another notch of damping

Last edited:
So far on just some neighborhood rides the BST wheels feel awesome. This bike also has a lower profile front tire so I’m not sure how much “worth” can be attributed where.
Anyone here run a lower profile front that can chime in?

I run 120/70 front but have gone up to 190/55 rear and I have raised the front 5 mm and the rear 15 mm. to get more ground clearance and friskier handling.
It might be to lively to some with the BST in that setup, but the steering damper balance it, and with the wet weight shaved of to 212 kg. the handling feels like it’s a 600 sports bike.

Last edited:
@BusBus how have you removed 50kg from your bike? I have taken 25kg off mine (each item weighed and recorded) but 50kg seems near impossible.

I cannot say personally, but
@SS4Luck has his Gen3 in that weight range.
He has taken off alot of parts, and you can find all the info in his build thread.
I think he has done more than anyone here in terms of removing parts, and knowing what they weigh.
He has alot of info on it.

Back