Stock Pipe Mod Sound and MPG.

steelhead

Registered
Does the Stock Pipe Mod (for sound) cause noticeably lower Miles Per Gallon?

Anyone with long term results care to comment?

I did mine and did not notice any MPG difference. I really do not think a change in fuel economy can occur since all the cans do is muffle sound. Maybe doing something to the midpipes would cause fuel economy drop.

The mod makes for a really loud deep sound, I like it, but I did notice other sounds like "clicks" while sitting at red lights. Changed back to a set of stock unmodded cans and that noise went away.

My mpg has not changed. TPBIO, how many holes per can did you drill? I only have 6 per can now but I am thinking about drilling 3 more per can.

Tim,

Actually I just ripped all the guts and stuffing out of mine! It is REALLY loud and low. I really think I do not have to worry about deer now, but still keep a wary eye out anyway!
cool.gif

Cool. I think I will go ahead and drill the other holes in mine. Steelhead, go ahead and drill your pipes, you will love the deep sound over the stock sound. If you want to change back at some point, someone always has stock cans they would give you. Good luck and give us an update.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am very interested in this mod. If I do it, I'll post up the results.

Those who have done it, your MPG experience would be appreciated.  Georgiabusa_05, how long have you had the stock muffler mod for? Much obliged.

Your comments appreciated, Thanks TPBIO.

bowdown.gif

Drilled mine and cut 1/2" off the inner tip. Then did the Marble Mod. Sounds better but not quite what I was looking for.

(tpbio @ Oct. 17 2006,13:02) Tim,

Actually I just ripped all the guts and stuffing out of mine! It is REALLY loud and low. I really think I do not have to worry about deer now, but still keep a wary eye out anyway!  
cool.gif
I did this too but with D&D cans . And the mileage did drop on mine .....around 36 mpg . Used to run around 40 or a little better .

you cant go wrong with this mod. even the harley goldwing guys I ride with like the sound. and if worse comes to worse you get a set of stock cans off ebay for 30 bucks.

I did the mod. got the cans from RANMAN and drilled six holes in each one. My stock left can was a little rashed. I like the sound. No change in mpg. I get 36-38. Most riding is in town, commuting in light to heavy traffic depending on time of day. In the military we typically start each day before traffic really gets going.

I have 6 1/2" holes in the ends of my cans and cut about an inch off of my outlet pipe. Sounds mint (ok, just much better) no decel popping no noticeable drop in MPG and I did it 2500 miles ago. The only thing I notice is my chrome end caps now turn gold from the heat.

I clicked off 164.5 HP and 100.56 ft lbs like this with no other mods...

(steelhead @ Oct. 17 2006,13:35) Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am very interested in this mod. If I do it, I'll post up the results.

Those who have done it, your MPG experience would be appreciated.  Georgiabusa_05, how long have had the stock muffler mod for?

bowdown.gif
I done this about a month ago. I ride to work as much as possible, 20 miles round trip, and go on longer trips on weekends. I am still getting around 42 MPG. I rode with my cruiser friend on Sunday, a little over 100 miles, and got 47.5 on the readout. I drilled 3 more holes in each can after I got home from work today, so now I have 9 in each can. I havent got to ride it yet because its raining here but I plan on ridding to work tomorrow so I will post again after I get home tomorrow. I do have a little back fireing when I gear down with high RPMs so I think I am going to do the marble mod. I am going to get the D&D cans sometime when the funds are availble but this mod does sound good, and is more in my price range, FREE.
biggrin.gif

(georgiabusa_05 @ Oct. 17 2006,20:50)
(steelhead @ Oct. 17 2006,13:35) Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am very interested in this mod. If I do it, I'll post up the results.

Those who have done it, your MPG experience would be appreciated.  Georgiabusa_05, how long have had the stock muffler mod for?

bowdown.gif
I done this about a month ago. I ride to work as much as possible, 20 miles round trip, and go on longer trips on weekends.  I am still getting around 42 MPG. I rode with my cruiser friend on Sunday, a little over 100 miles, and got 47.5 on the readout. I drilled 3 more holes in each can after I got home from work today, so now I have 9 in each can. I havent got to ride it yet because its raining here but I plan on ridding to work tomorrow so I will post again after I get home tomorrow.  I do have a little back fireing when I gear down with high RPMs so I think I am going to do the marble mod. I am going to get the D&D cans sometime when the funds are availble but this mod does sound good, and is more in my price range, FREE.  
biggrin.gif
Get a Cobra FI2000R (cheaper) or a Power Commander and a BMC filter with your D&D's....they'll make a BIG diff in power, throttle response and revability over just the D&D's alone.

Back