stock mufflers on a turbo?

nybryan

Registered
First I know very little about turbo except they make things go faster. With all the extra law enforcement about exhausts in my area I wondered if anyone has used the stock exhaust mufflers on a turbo bike. Would it even work? Sure could be fun to be that quiet and spank the hell out of someone. Part of the ultimate sleeper package. I figure with well into the two hundred hp range the extra weight would matter very little.

This would not be my first bad idea so if figured i would through it out there

I am curious too and I agree if that worked that would be awesome. But with the high price of turbo upgrade optimization is a rule of thumb and I am sure no one has left the or modified a stock exhaust to stay on with a turbo build.... But there is a first time for everything :laugh:

I am not a tech by any stretch of the imagination but keeping the OEM pipes on a turbo'd bike is counterproductive: bike is not able to breathe freely/bike is unable to perform at its fullest potential (not to mention the 40 lbs of mass that does not have to be there)

you might be able to use the stock muffler cases, then build larger diameter midpipes on both sides, so it would look stock, but flow enough not to choke the turbo.

Some have used the stock mufflers before to quite the bike down and give it a sleeper look. Of course you do lose some power due to the extra restriction.

RCC has a stockish option for their turbo kits.... Doesn't really lose any mid range hp and show a lil gain in tq.. So i don't think a sleeper would affect hp #'s at that much it that's what ur going for..

I've been running stock mufflers on a turbo'd Busa since the bike was bulit in 2007. A custom y-pipe was built for the exhaust flow from the turbo back into the mufflers and a small bracket was made to widen the base of the fairings to completely hide the system. The bike has almost 40,000 miles now and uses the 7 lb springs on the Hahn stage one (internal wastegate). Not a monster system, about 220 hp on dyno.(Depending on whose dyno and where). No whine or giveaway that its there til you get on it. So far so good on turbo boost creep, haven't seen it yet. Powerhouse advised me in an earlier post that the stock exhaust may actually help me prevent boost creep as the spring won't be stressed as much. I've been advised that I could get alot more out of the system with the single sided muzzy the kit came with, but I like the stock look and the suprise it can create.

Busa Stampede and stuff 011.jpg

Turbo stuff 1.jpg

Turbo stuff3.jpg

Y pipe from underneath 1.jpg

Stampede3.jpg

Back