Stock Headers Ceramic Coated?

Stane

Registered
Hello guys,

This year I am determined to do something about my headers...either ceramic coat them or heat wrap them; as I use my bike almost daily and the heat coming out of the fairing is just killing me.

Taking a closer look at my stock headers (K9 Busa) I've noticed that they have a pretty thick black coating. Is that an actual ceramic coating? and if so... could it degrade over time?

Further insights or tips on heat-sealing your headers is very welcomed.

Thank you!

An aftermarket full exhaust will help alot.
As no aftermarket headers have a catalytic converter.
That thing will cook your feet, and causes excess heat from the headers too. As it's slowing exhaust flow and causing heat to build up.
I gutted the converter on my gen2 before switching to a full exhaust.
With it hollow, you could tell there was more of a build up of heat in the empty chamber(as there was Alot more room), but at a noticeably lower temperature.
It was only done as a temporary fix, and it did cause sluggish off-idle throttle response.
Header wrap helps too, but I'de wrap the midpipes also.
The wrap is insulating the pipe. The heat that's no longer coming directly off the pipe is now escaping at the end of the wrap.
So if the midpipes are bare, they are going to rise a few degrees in temperature...and help warm your feet.
Carbon fiber mufflers also put alot more heat out of the tailpipe than off of the muffler itself.
You can ride on a 100 degree day and grab a carbon fiber muffler bare handed.
You may not want to hang on very long, but it won't scald you like aluminum or stainless will.
I have no personal experience with ceramic coat, but it's my understanding that it also keeps the header surface a few degrees cooler.
Best thing for heat on a gen2 is a full aftermarket exhaust with carbon fiber muffler(s).
I eventually put a full dual Akropovic with cf mufflers on my gen2.
A noticeable drop in heat around my legs and feet.

^ what he said. I went aftermarket after feeling the heat from the stock system in the nice Florida summer. I went carbon fiber can and it gets warm at the most.

It's only paint. I honestly do not endorse "aesthetic" ceramic coatings for heat retention. I have used Jet Hot, HPC and a local company called Synergy the past 25 years. I feel they do not offer a lot of heat retention just not a big difference in my opinion at least for the cost. Corrosion protection is what they are best for and of course look good a lot longer than no coating. I did try White Lightning from Swain Tech and it cost a pretty penny but they had the most noticeable change in heat retention and longevity. Very hard stuff and put on thicker. Still couldn't touch a header with it after a run but it was certainly better. Heat wrap is still the best IMHO for max heat retention and is less expensive and can touch it after a hard run. I currently use it on my turbo Mustang and have used it since the late 80s.

The real issue I see is the chance for corrosion or rust depending on the alloy used as well as how thick it is to begin with while living in either wet climate or high humidity regions. I live in the hot dry Southwest so never encountered issues but had seen on a friends SS header from Hindle that got pin holes after about a couple of years and that was with no wrap or coating. But Hindle was using the thinnest of SS I had ever seen for exhaust. So thin that my Brock/Hindle Gen III SS exhaust with TI canister weighs almost exactly as my full titanium Orient Express Sumo exhaust. 8lbs nearly 9lbs.

So with that said, ceramic coating the stock header would work well but the cost to do on a stock exhaust is financially irresponsible........maybe wrap is better but I would worry about your region before using it. The stock header is fairly thick so it would take some time to rust out.

Thank you for all your inputs guys!

Indeed I forgot to mention that I already have a pair of carbon Yoshimuras, however they're slip-ons.
Getting rid of the cat is a god idea...didn't think of it really. So, thanks @sixpack577 ! I would rather replace the cat with a Y-pipe as some aftermarket headers are kind of out of my budget. But still have to check the regulations and all that...

Heat-wrapping is a nice DIY project, however I'm kind of scared about the corosion problem. I live near a lake (Europe) and the hiumidity is huge, and the thought of cleaning/ replacing the wraps a few times per year is not that appealing.

A professional ceramic coating for the headers would set me back about $110 and in combination with a non-cat set-up, I think the heat level would be significantly lower.
I will do a before and after temperature check and post it.

You can find a good used exhaust full system for 500-600. Sell your slip ons and prob not be out too much for a system. I know on craigslist near me there is a full tsukugi cannon for $600 in good condition. Not sure what budget you were looking at though or what the used market is like over in Europe.

Thank you for all your inputs guys!

Indeed I forgot to mention that I already have a pair of carbon Yoshimuras, however they're slip-ons.
Getting rid of the cat is a god idea...didn't think of it really. So, thanks @sixpack577 ! I would rather replace the cat with a Y-pipe as some aftermarket headers are kind of out of my budget. But still have to check the regulations and all that...

Heat-wrapping is a nice DIY project, however I'm kind of scared about the corosion problem. I live near a lake (Europe) and the hiumidity is huge, and the thought of cleaning/ replacing the wraps a few times per year is not that appealing.

A professional ceramic coating for the headers would set me back about $110 and in combination with a non-cat set-up, I think the heat level would be significantly lower.
I will do a before and after temperature check and post it.
The cat is part of the header, not a separate piece. I wanted to go to a single can so, I called yoshimura to get a quote for a header only since I already have dual r77 slip ons bolted to a V&H dual header and was quoted $700 plus. I just laughed at the email and kept my setup.

Back