Stock-Can-Muffler-Mod-Cut-Gut-Thing

Wanted to come in and give you props for this write-up as it was the primary inspiration for the ones I made for myself. There were a couple of variations to your design that I wanted to share with anyone who may do these:

1) I used 2 inch exhaust tube from my local Midas shop (slipped the guy a $20) and the nice thing about that is you do NOT have to flair the end to fit it onto the mid-pipe; it fits perfectly in the ring at the bottom, but you have to weld to the endcap BEFORE you torque down the 3 bolts that hold the mid-pipe and the muffler together the last few turns so there is tension there to prevent any rattles.
2) I did NOT make any cuts on the tube, just straight-piped it and it's not that loud at all because of the baffles in the stock mid-pipes. I've had other bikes with aftermarket slip-ons that were FAR louder than this.
3) I took the time after they were done to polish them out, so I thought I'd share some photos of the finished product here.

This is what they look like after a few rounds of polishing; stage 1 with a paint removing wheel attached to a dremel-style tool attached to my air compressor to remove the ridges. Then wet-sand with 220, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grain and finish with a Mother's polishing ball on a drill and some quality aluminum polish (Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish).

The Wheel
DSC02873.jpg

DSC02884.jpg

The finished product!!!
DSC02901.jpg

IMG_1544-1.jpg

IMG_1543-1.jpg

IMG_1540-1.jpg

So last week I took off the endcaps of my exhaust and drilled the 9 holes. After hearing how much better it sounded, I decided to cut about 9" off the pipes, and completely gut the cans. It sounds like a busa should sound, looks much better, overall, I love this mod. I was about to throw down the cash for a set of new pipes, but until I can finally make up my mind as to which set to get, I am totally content to rock these shorties... +1 on the idea!:bowdown:

after about a week of having the short/gutted cans, and having done a few long rides, I've realized that its much louder than I originally thought, but in a good way.. :thumbsup:

Nice write up, I'm actually working on my own version of Lord Humongous tips for about $60 right now, baffled like a Jardine GP1 slip on...

I am new to the site but have had my 05 busa for about 8months. I have been studying all of the threads on the mod to stock cans and have now made my mind up to go ahead with it. When i do complete the mod i will endevour to put a photo on. Thanks all for the info

Got the cans done they look and sound great. I chose to stay close to standard length to keep my ride looking as it was ment to be. The short cans look great but not for me. I changed the size of pipe to 2" and shortened the cans by 1/2".

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

I am getting ready to do one of the variations of this mod. Not sure yet if I will do the shorty's or longy's. I just bought an extra set of stock cans...want to keep a set of stock in case the enviro-police decide to start checking for illegal mods. I will try to document the modification and post a sound clip or a link to a video.

nice work! i hollowed my first ones out also but, i didnt go as far or do as good of a job as you did. i bet it sounds good too!! i love low budget fix ups.:beerchug:

I finally did it!!!

08602521.jpg

Cut about 9" off.
Totally gutted!
They sound great, and look SO much better!

Now, for a tune!

I'd be happy to post a sound clip if someone here could let me know how that works!!!

how do the guts come out once u grind the welds off the end cap inlet side do the guts pull out ,do u bang them out or do you have to grind the 6 welds around the side

Really cool write up. I actually cut down my gosh cans two weeks ago. This looks way more complicated lol. Takes some pretty good skill.

how do the guts come out once u grind the welds off the end cap inlet side do the guts pull out ,do u bang them out or do you have to grind the 6 welds around the side

Once the end cap is removed then the canister sleeve is slit under the cap, the whole insides slide out. You will then have a 4" diameter tube ready to fit a perforated pipe to it. You will need to do some fabbing to connect it from one end to the other.

I show some pics of a setup I did awhile back. Maybe this will help as well. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-mods/139972-pictures-modded-stock-gen-i-header-canister.html

I did this on my old pipes but used 2'' pipe on the baffles as I had some lying around. Sound fantastic.

I was going to anodise the outers but ran out of funds. I have painted them with black etch primer instead. I think they look pretty good. Sorry about the poor photo.

Will do a sound clip with new and originals soon at tickover and flat out in 1st.

P1090113s.jpg

Back